Question Network Status: “Not Available”, but CarrierBars and Wi-Fi Bars at the top show service

Dec 11, 2022
In the upper left corner, I see USCellular bars as well as Wi-Fi bars, however under

Settings=>General=>About=>Network

I always get “Not Available”.

If I am in an area with good USCellular coverage, I can place voice calls just fine, however if I go to an area with no cell service, but good Wi-Fi, I can still text and browse the net, but even though I still have Wi-Fi bars, I cannot turn on Wi-Fi Calling because the slide button does not appear. (with Network still showing “Not Available”).

I previously had this iPhone 8 properly doing Wi-Fi Calling on the ATT Network the day before the network switch so it really should be able to still do WiFi Calling.

My wife has a i10r and it runs both cellular and wifi calling properly, but the “Network” status shown there is “USCellular” and “USCC Wi-Fi” respectively under the same signal availability.

I am thinking that what is causing the “Not Available” status for Network is causing the “Turn On Wi-Fi Calling” button from appearing.

It seems to me that although cell and Wi-Fi is working, possibly some carrier software upgrade that interacts with the configuration may not be completely backwards compatible with the i8 and it is keeping Network: Not Available and the Wireless Calling button disabled …

The USCellular Tech spent a Yeoman’s two hr with me to rule out SIM card issues as well as backing up data and loading a new, latest software image v16 … still with no change to allow Wi-Fi Calling to work. Very puzzling, but with all the simple stuff checked, it sure seems likely that the central network isn’t downloading some parameter(s) properly maybe like an APN that could be entered manually? (A WAG).

I need a Guru’s Guru on this tough dog problem as I am out of my depth here.

Any an all thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

B

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
In the upper left corner, I see USCellular bars as well as Wi-Fi bars, however under

Settings=>General=>About=>Network

I always get “Not Available”.

If I am in an area with good USCellular coverage, I can place voice calls just fine, however if I go to an area with no cell service, but good Wi-Fi, I can still text and browse the net, but even though I still have Wi-Fi bars, I cannot turn on Wi-Fi Calling because the slide button does not appear. (with Network still showing “Not Available”).

I previously had this iPhone 8 properly doing Wi-Fi Calling on the ATT Network the day before the network switch so it really should be able to still do WiFi Calling.

My wife has a i10r and it runs both cellular and wifi calling properly, but the “Network” status shown there is “USCellular” and “USCC Wi-Fi” respectively under the same signal availability.

I am thinking that what is causing the “Not Available” status for Network is causing the “Turn On Wi-Fi Calling” button from appearing.

It seems to me that although cell and Wi-Fi is working, possibly some carrier software upgrade that interacts with the configuration may not be completely backwards compatible with the i8 and it is keeping Network: Not Available and the Wireless Calling button disabled …

The USCellular Tech spent a Yeoman’s two hr with me to rule out SIM card issues as well as backing up data and loading a new, latest software image v16 … still with no change to allow Wi-Fi Calling to work. Very puzzling, but with all the simple stuff checked, it sure seems likely that the central network isn’t downloading some parameter(s) properly maybe like an APN that could be entered manually? (A WAG).

I need a Guru’s Guru on this tough dog problem as I am out of my depth here.

Any an all thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

B

Wifi calling is weird, I'm not sure what causes the toggle to disable, but it happens on my Razr 5G sometimes.

Make sure wifi is on and connected, and try enabling the toggle button in the notification shade

9LUYxS1.png