Network via USB-C cable

Solution
USB-c is relatively new, I guess vendors figure there is not yet consumer market for a USB-c 10gbe dongle. Have to shelve your dream for now. :(

Io Design

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I'm not talking about a shared internet connection. I'd like to connect the two computers to share data... similar to an ethernet connection via crossover cable. More specifically, I'd like to use the connection for network rendering using KeyShot. Also for file sharing and remote desktop. The 40Gps connection would obviously be much faster than a 1Gps ethernet connection. Is this possible and how would I go about it?

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

I see what you're saying now. The word network is threw me off.

https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/USB-PS2/usb-file-transfer-cable-windows-mac~USB3LINK

But given the physical limitations of the rest of the PC, I don't see how a speed beyond 1Gps is of any benefit.
Perhaps i am unfamiliar with KeyShot and how it functions, but I can't imagine it is prepared for speeds beyond what an ethernet cable can even transfer.

Io Design

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
i7 6700k to i7 6700k... Samsung 960 Pro M.2s (@ 2000-3000Mbps) and Samsung 950 Pro SSDs (@ 500Mbps) on both machines. Surely you can see that a 1G ethernet connection at 120Mbps is a bottleneck.

I'm not sure if it would speed up network rendering in KeyShot. All I know is that data is transferred from the master machine to the slave for rendering, the slave renders its portion of the image and sends it back to the master. I don't know if a 1G connection would inhibit this process, but I do know that network rendering over wifi can slow the process so it would follow that the faster the connection the better. Anyone with any insight on this please chime in.

Regardless of network rendering, transferring files between the two machines via 40G USB-C; which is already on my motherboards, would be much faster and would be cheaper than buying two 10G ethernet cards.

As to your solution: I'm not sure that what seems to be primarily a migration cable would work as a network cable... similar to a crossover cable. My thinking is that KeyShot network rendering wouldn't be compatible with it. 5G is certainly better than IG, but I was hoping for a solution closer to the 40G potential of USB-C.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

He is trying to get above 1gbps. Any USB Ethernet adapter is going to be a guaranteed gigabit line. Plus I think only cat 7 can push it, and cat 7 is not common.

Io Design

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

But are Ethernet adapters needed?... and wouldn't they limit the speed to 1G? From what I've read, it's possible to connect two computer directly via a USB-C cable for file sharing, but there's no information on what's actually involved, what's required, or how to do it. Would I just get a cable, plug it into both PC's and setup a network as if it was a crossover cable via Ethernet?

That startek thing looks a peer-to-peer specific data connection and as such probably use their own App to transfer the data. Does this KeyShot thing expects to see a tcp/ip stack? Google "networking usb-c" All answers are already on the web, you just have to look for them. :D

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

It can't just be a USB to usb, it has to be specifically noted to be a data transfer cable following some windows protocol for it to work. They all have some kind of active device on them to handle this, you can see it in pictures.

But yeah youre right, Ethernet adapters defeat the speed and there is no telling if his program can use the USB links.

Io Design

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

Yes, KeyShot probably looks for a stack.

I've Googled every variation of "networking usb-c". There are plenty of ads and links to specs, but no actual how to's. Devices are covered, but nothing on computer to computer. USB bridge cables were available at one time, but I can't find any for USB-C.

Io Design

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
From StarTech's site: "Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C is an exciting development because it can deliver more speed and video bandwidth than any other current standard. At 40Gbps, it's four times as fast as USB 3.1 and twice as fast as DisplayPort 1.2. {And it includes built-in support for 10GbE peer-to-peer connections, enabling the fastest file transfers and PC migrations, as well as blazing fast access to data storage.}" Correct me if I'm wrong... peer-to-peer means computer to computer. If correct, this means that the connection I'm looking for is possible. Surely, I'm not the first person on the planet to consider such a network setup. Any insight would be appreciated.

Io Design

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Via Microsoft's USB-C connector FAQ page: Will Microsoft support P2P data transfer between same Windows 10 SKU?

This is not a valid connection.
You cannot connect two PCs running Windows 10 for desktop editions.
You cannot connect two mobile devices running Windows 10 Mobile.
If the user attempts to make such a connection, Windows shows an error message. For more information, see Error messages for a USB Type-C Windows system.
The only valid connection is between a Windows Mobile device and Windows desktop device.

zkrr01

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Your idea to use USB-C for peer-to-peer computer sharing of data is great. Of course it can be done with Ethernet networking today, however consumer computers are limited to 1Gbps and would require hardware upgrades costing hundreds for the speeds supported by USB-C, and still be slower then the speeds supported by USB-C.

The concept could be available today if Microsoft or some other vender write the required USB software driver. My testing shows Microsoft must be considering it, since I have connected two Windows 10 computers with USB-C and male-male cable, and I do not get the error message you reference. There are tons of uses for this, such as hyper-v backup and other backup involving lots of data. And its much less expensive then Ethernet; two computers can be connected peer-to-peer for less then $100 and be 4 times faster then a 10Gbps. Even the ability to get 10Gbps would be a great improvement over today speeds!

Cambesa

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Wouldn't it be possible when using these thunderbolt cards? https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/ThunderboltEX-3/

The description states:
10-gigabit networking

When you fit ThunderboltEX 3 you'll also enjoy peer-to-peer networking at screaming 10Gbps speeds, enabling you to transfer files in the blink of an eye, perform easy PC migrations, or set up small workgroups with shared storage!

Kind regards,

Cambesa

genesismaster

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
For $35 you could settle for a USB 3.0 Null modem cable. At least it's 5Gbs.

StarTech.com USB3LINK USB 3.0 Data Transfer Cable for Mac and Windows - Fast USB Transfer Cable for Easy Upgrades including Mac OS X and Windows 8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZR1AD4A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dkTUzbE8V8QRN

Another problem is the compatibility with your application. If you can emulate a TCP/IP network connection, via null modem and drivers, you can easily overcome any problems you may run into via other methods.

Now if someone quickly makes a null modem device for us to work on USB-C with some workable drivers, we'd be set.