New 3D HD Monitors: Acer Vs. Alienware

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Fair enough Rachel, thanks four your considered response. I do think there is a good amount tecnnically inclined TG readers that are interested in hard technical details and data. I didn't realize that TG merely caters to the common consumer. Judging from the informed comments on may TG articles, I think you may be underestimating your readers.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Fair enough Rachel, thanks four your considered response. I do think there is a good amount tecnnically inclined TG readers that are interested in hard technical details and data. I didn't realize that TG merely caters to the common consumer. Judging from the informed comments on may TG articles, I think you may be underestimating your readers.[/citation]

Hixbot, we're looking into more technical aspects to reviewing displays, since obviously you guys are interested in that. This is one of the first monitor reviews we've done on the site, and the first in a long time, so look forward to more that are more technical, more precise, and have all the results you need to know for making the best purchase.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
sounds great james, sorry for my harsh criticism. internet comments tend to bring out the worst in me. i'm thrilled to see such devotion from you and your editor. i'm looking forward to reading more of your articles and reviews.

ninjikiran

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
[citation][nom]MagicPants[/nom]I just got the Alienware monitor on Thursday. It's sitting next to a 26" S-IPS monitor that blows it away for anything but 3d games, still it's okay.One thing I've noticed is that there is a sweet spot distance-wise for the 3d effect which is maybe 18". Sitting closer than that actually kills some of the depth effect.By far the worst thing about the 3d experience is hovering gui elements that are at the screen depth. Portal and L4D have cross-hairs focused at infinity which is very nice.[/citation]

Was afraid of that, this S-PVA screen I have has permanently destroyed any ability for me to enjoy a TN/Film display. Every monitor I try out it kills me by just how much loss of detail there is even if its calibrated. Shadow loss by damned, at least the details still exist. My monitor isn't perfect but with all the problems I see on those TN based screens it kinda just kills me. I recently picked up an LED back lit Tn/Film panel and loaded up l4d2 and wow darkness, or under saturation.

Been looking for a good 16:9 monitor though for a while already that is not a TV. While for working I prefer 16:10, when it comes to gaming on a console those black bars are not as enjoyable as just bezel(more a little pet issue, it doesn't bother me that much but at the same time 1080p content doesn't feel "full screen" unless I force my video player to overscan in which case I loose details and for subtitles for fansubs not overscan compensated it hurts.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]22 and 23.6 monitors are too small. Ive had a 24" 1920 x 1200 since before anyone had one 3 years now but now that everyone and there brother can pick one up cheap its time to move up to a 30 incher at 2560 x 1600. I sit 6 feet away from my 46" LED 240htz Samsung and it runs fine. 3D isnt all that by the way. If you cant afford it then dont comment on something you know nothing about those of you with the puny 22 inchers.[/citation]
It's not the question if we can afford it.
I make $30,000 CAD a year, yet I almost bought a $3,000 plasma three months ago, because I could still afford it.
It's whether or not we feel it's worth it.
I decided there were better ways to spend my money, such as a vacation.

How about some glasses that wrap around to cover more of my field of view? The glasses I wear at work completely dominate my field of view, while normal glasses wouldn't.

I want to go for a 3D setup, but I feel it still needs a lot more work.
And I feel that I'd rather have three 30" monitors instead.

titdoctor

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Guess I'll stick to my 24" fw900 until they make a 120hz ips or something better. I hope this old crt lasts that long! No motion blur during high speeds movements, I love it. Being able to play in 1024x768 in full screen without image distortion is great!

G

Correction the Alienware monitor is not 23.6" it is 23" with a pixel pitch of .265mm the Acer is 23.6" with a pixel pitch of .2715mm

jerrywarriner

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I'm going to wait a year to 18 months before I invest in a 3d monitor. Why? First, I don't think the technology has been perfected. Second, The prices of monitors will certainly come down. In a year or so I expect quality 27-inch monitors to sell for less than $300.

I'm not interested in being the first kid on the block to have 3d and all the bragging rights that go with it.

DarkUltra

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I'm interested in 120hz monitors due to less sample-and-hold smearing, less ghosting, better respone time and smoother windows ui experience. And if your fps is not at a constant 60, for instance varies from 45-60, it is much better with a high temporal rate like 120hz. Then when your pc finally renders a frame it 'hits' much closer to a screen refresh and you get much less judder.

sources:

120hz lcd Smoother motion and the lack of RTC artifacts leave a highly positive impression, making you unwilling to return to 60Hz.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/samsung-sm2233rz_5.html

A difference frequency of something like 35Hz is required before the judder is reduced to an acceptable level
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/TempRate1.mspx

lcd, lcd 12hz, crt comparison
http://jooh.no/web/120Hz_LCD_vs_CRT_comparison.jpg

oh and zero input lag pls
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=50&mo1=269&p1=2511&ma2=120&ph=12

raj072

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
"22” displays are simply too small".

Assuming average PC gamers sit maybe 1.5 feet away from their 22" monitors, in terms of perceived size that's the same as sitting about 3.5 feet away from a 50" TV.
Since people love to talk about "the big TV in the living room", I wonder how close they sit to it. If a 22" PC monitor is too small, then a lot of couches will need to be moved for 3D console gaming and 3D movies.

I have a 65 inch Mits HDTV and widescreen LCDs. You can make a LCD subtend the same angle as a larger screen simply by changing your viewing distance. But.. There will still be some differences and here is why.

Two things.
1. Convergence of the eyes at near.
2. Accommodation of the eye when viewing objects closer than optical infinity.

Basically these two things make viewing at greater distances more comfortable. Also there is some micropsia of the image when viewing near objects. This happens in the brain.

3. Viewing angle tends to be a factor when more than one person is watching a movie on a small screen and all want to sit close in order to give a big screen effect.

For those reasons bigger is better. But I still enjoy gaming up close with a 22 inch LCD. The 3D thing is just a FAD, some movies like avatar which were shot in 3D are nice. Most games and movies are hacked to look 3D and end up falling short.

I think I'm going to pick up the Alienware for its 120hz (not the 3D) it is a bit expensive but it will go nicely with my Aurora PC.

G

well talking about 3D technology and novadays market...all this what we get suks from start to end. Everything is just bloody marketing which try to get from people as much many as it can.
Now..tell me who of you will be sitting in room with mates watching 3D TV where everyone is sitting with 3D glasses on? lol...this is totally uncomfortable guys!! WTF? is this XXI century?? NO!

Thats why smart people hold their emotions and wait for 3D TV with special layer on it so you do not have to have 3D glasses on you all the time watching TV and have a good time with your friends:)

For now, just trying to get dell u2711 monitor..quite cheap on ebay at the moment so hurry up! best 2D monitor around if you like high resolution boom!

Thank you:)

G

Hey, does somebody know if the new mac book Pro, which came out on the 24th-feb-11 Is capable of playing 3d games on its screen?
It says u can play 3d games but the way i understand it is, what they actually mean is that the graphical card is able to do so, but its not clear that you can play on its screen too??

If yess what glasses kit would you need as it is not nvidia anymore
Probably the nvidia 3d kit is not compatible then?

Thanks

gamers friend

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I have the alienware 23 inch monitor and it is great. I also have my computer connected to my Samsung 60 inch 3d monitor. The difference is night and day. The larger screen is amazing. Before I had the larger screen, I thought the 23 inch screen was amazing so I think it is a matter of perspective. My only problem is that after only 2 years my alienware monitor died a couple days ago.

richard0403

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Great details. But i was never an acer user, I'd go for alienware anything and Asus or even toshiba. They have the best 3d gaming monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.