Solved! New Alienware Mx11 - Upgrade Help

zmackdavis

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I recently was considering building my first laptop. I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not that's actually worth doing. I'm looking to build something that is somewhat mobile, but can handle some gaming as well. I want something that is pretty easily capable of running a game like Starcraft II. Of course I've browsed through Alienware's selection, and I came across their Mx11, which looks like a good mix of power and mobility. I'm curious if it's possible to buy the case, and then purchase the RAM, Video Card, & HD(SSD), since Dell charges more than it would cost me to purchase those specific parts. The upgrade from Dual Channel DDR3 1333mhz 8GB - 16GB stick was around $900+ more expensive...

I'm also open to any advice on where I can get some other cool barebones cases similar to the Mx11, or hearing about other people's builds. I'm hoping to keep it under 15".

Thanks in advance!

Solution
You rarely get branded barebones available in retail market with less than 15". Try ebay.

Btw portable laptops are built with less powerful CPU and GPU for a reason: to reduce power consumption and increase battery life. So logically it is not possible to get a portable 'gaming' laptop.
Upgrading RAM is possible but anything more than 8GB is not too useful.

It is possible for a CLEVO/MSI barebone system to be configured. But their minimum sizes start from 15" if I remember correctly. But then again for a decent GTX card + quad core CPU + SSD will get you around $1200-2000.

Good Luck!

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
You rarely get branded barebones available in retail market with less than 15". Try ebay.

Btw portable laptops are built with less powerful CPU and GPU for a reason: to reduce power consumption and increase battery life. So logically it is not possible to get a portable 'gaming' laptop.
Upgrading RAM is possible but anything more than 8GB is not too useful.

It is possible for a CLEVO/MSI barebone system to be configured. But their minimum sizes start from 15" if I remember correctly. But then again for a decent GTX card + quad core CPU + SSD will get you around $1200-2000.

Good Luck!

Solution