New Android Malware Uses PC Microphone to Record Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
So I am assuming the people that run these apps see the permission "This app can access your SMS etc... blah blah" and think that is NORMAL behavior for some type of "cleaning" app? lol... deez people. It is funny to see what the uninformed fall for.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
"Windows and Android users are proven masochists so they welcome this new malware"
yes..... we welcome it in the same way an apple fan welcomes an iphone/pad 's' a week after they buy the normal one lol

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Apple gets Malware too you know lol, Twit.TV was just talking how all these anti-virus companies are starting to offer protection for the mac and Ipad because they are big targets as well.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Thought Google stepped up their game on App approving, guess not.[/citation]

They did, but the fact remains that idiots like to stray away from the safety of the Play Store and download third party markets which are riddled with malware.

Play store is still somewhat vulnerable, but the rating and review system (As well as reporting apps) generally gives a user an idea before downloading what they are getting into.

If the user proceeds anyway, its their own fault.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They did, but the fact remains that idiots like to stray away from the safety of the Play Store and download third party markets which are riddled with malware.Play store is still somewhat vulnerable, but the rating and review system (As well as reporting apps) generally gives a user an idea before downloading what they are getting into.If the user proceeds anyway, its their own fault.[/citation]

1. It's on Google Play store not a third party. No one should be surprised if someone downloads something from a third party app store and get malware, fact remains it was reported this was on Google Play.

2. Ratings and reviews are not a replacement for Google to do their job in scanning, validating, and reviewing their apps. This should never have passed Google's review process to get into their App store. That's bad on them more so than the end user who has the expectation Google has decent screening and would not allow a malware infested app on their App store. Of course things can slip through the cracks, just seems to happen significantly more with Google than Apple and Apple has more apps.

Conclusion: Google needs to enhance their screening process and cleanup their app store. There's more talk about malware on Google app store than all the other App stores combined (Apple, Windows, Rim, etc.) [of course the latter 2 have significantly less apps than Google but the former has more].

G

thats why i stay away from all this not so smart phone (unless your the hacker then they must love this tech) disaster waiting to happen if you ask me ... surly the people who make this tech knows how easy it to hack but they carry on selling this tech with out a care in the world lol i still say smart phones are more at risk than pc's are now, even more so as people seem to live their lives on them now.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Do the author of this a favor and install this malware on every campus/library PC around and see how quickly he decides to abandon his effort's after receiving millions of sound bytes a day...

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Sorry, but this is no fault on Googles side.
A person that actually is that stupid to just trust an app to put the device in USB-debugging mode and the let it connect to the PC (for what reason???) almost deserves to get infected.
There are no security solutions for sheer stupidity!

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]stevevnicks[/nom]thats why i stay away from all this not so smart phone (unless your the hacker then they must love this tech) disaster waiting to happen if you ask me ... surly the people who make this tech knows how easy it to hack but they carry on selling this tech with out a care in the world lol i still say smart phones are more at risk than pc's are now, even more so as people seem to live their lives on them now.[/citation]

Given how poor your comment was typed, I have a feeling a smartphone would outsmart you.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I don't trust anything with autoplay, mine or other people's.
I always click on the little plus sign to expand, not doubleclicking. (yes, W7 too, thanks to ClassicShell).
And when I can, I put a folder named "autorun.inf" and a file named "recycler" on removable drives of family members, and if by any chance I find autorun.inf is no longer a folder but a file instead, I declare the device infected, recover what I can, format, and put the folder again.
Never had a virus coming from USB, old or new OS. Android devices as Usb drive will not change that.

That old virus that made the phone behave as a keyboard when attached to the USB, that, on the other hand, I don't know how to counter.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]I don't trust anything with autoplay, mine or other people's.I always click on the little plus sign to expand, not doubleclicking. (yes, W7 too, thanks to ClassicShell).And when I can, I put a folder named "autorun.inf" and a file named "recycler" on removable drives of family members, and if by any chance I find autorun.inf is no longer a folder but a file instead, I declare the device infected, recover what I can, format, and put the folder again.Never had a virus coming from USB, old or new OS. Android devices as Usb drive will not change that.That old virus that made the phone behave as a keyboard when attached to the USB, that, on the other hand, I don't know how to counter.[/citation]

Wish more people were like you. Fact is 98% of end users do not know how to use a computer securely and they are the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.