New App Brings Augmented Reality HUD to Your Windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2013

It's called 'Hudway'

On another note this looks like another incremental step towards automated cars ^.^

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
there are loads of them and they've been around for ages now.
just search google play for "HUD".

they only work well at night.
for daytime driving i use iOnRoad - it uses the camera and warns you if lane drifting or approaching something too quickly (eg. if someone brakes suddenly)

dosmastr

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
interesting first step but I think it wont really be useful until it helps identify things in the dark that someone without night vision would not be able to see.

Though a little flashing headline "The lane you are in is EXIT ONLY" may cut down on people driving like idiots....may....

dosmastr

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
like I mean have the hug on the WHOLE windshield and show the outline of maybe a person or biker dressed all in black in the center of the road.

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I think the demo video was a bad way to represent the hud possibly. Maybe if it was shown on a proper road or motorways with intersections, different lanes, exit lanes, roundabouts and at a speed suitable for the road as per signage we may have had a better representation.

popatim

Splendid
HUD has been available in several GM vehicles since the 90's; while this certainly would be more useful incorporating Navigation its not to the point where its distracting from your normal driving any more so than looking at your cluster or dedicated gps would. I fell in love with Hud in my 98 Bonneville and will not havea car without it. (its easy enough to add LoL)

I don't see this going very far. All you really need is a reflective sticker on the windshield, available from just about all windshield replacement shops (the GM's with HUD have a reflective layer built into the windshield which most replacements don't have - hence the need for the sticker) and a display driver to reverse the display image. Google Navigation already has a black & white type mode which is the one I prefer anyways.

Value - 99 cents IMO.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
They will never work properly. Vehicles with real HUD's have a special windshield to reflect the image. It will never look good on a normal windshield.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Can you people See an realized that he is in a Rally cruise ?
he isn't driving off road. He is driving in the proper way you should drive on that kind of track at that speed. If you don't drive like that on those terrains, you will be flipping your car back to it 4 wheels 90% of the time.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Cool idea, but limited to screen size of the tablet, would be better if the whole dash was projecting to give a whole windscreen HUD, so made for the car would be better. By all means have the app on a phone or tablet you plug into a USB port in the car.

unklep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
that looks so fun. but the hud is a bit small i think. when driving you want to look where you want to go not just straight ahead. but still a great first generation start to the future of driving

Status
Not open for further replies.