New Apple Patent Filing Squeezes Touch Apps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]uh kids already look at you like you're a tool for talking to the phone.and yes i really would like to be able to talk to my electronics to make them work.apple doesn't invent cheeeot, they take technology and make it idiot friendly.as for apple stealing Wii and Kinect technology and trying to say it's theirs. sure, right after they pay the million or so patents already covering the tech they claim to invent just because it's all rolled into one device that any idiot can use.[/citation]

While I don't use Apple products and not interested in paying for their premiums, I do find list of "negatives" to sound more like positives. Idiot proofing is not a bad thing.

bruce0750

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Again, it is not what Apple invented, it is about how a company uses what's available to provide a better general user experience or a "new-easier way". Apple invention and "genius" is more about a set of features working together to provide specific functionality, none of then necessarily being best in class, than providing leading technology per se. [/citation]
Great point. others might have invented touch screen and this and that, but at the end, it is how you put everything together that matters the most. Don't get me wrong, I do think better touch screen and faster processors matter a lot, but the way you put everything together to make a product work smoothly matters a lot more. I still remember back in 06 when I installed both XP and and a hacked version of OSX on my AMD desktop, the OSX worked, not extremely, but still noticeably smoother. So the point is that the OSX and the hardware were integrated in a way relatively better than XP with the same hardware. It is all about integration of hardware, software, and whatever that is existing out there to make a great product. Of course, I am not saying we should stop and R&D for new hardware and forever use the same old tech. We should certainly keep the R&D going.
In a way, creating new products is like making new music. So many so called new songs out there are kind of like remix of older songs/elements from other sources. Daft Punk for example, they remix so many old songs, but the most important thing is their songs sound freaking great! Now the question is: who should deserve the most credit, Daft Punk or the people who did the songs that Daft Punk remixed? Well while the people who did the "original" remix certainly deserves some credit, but let's face, it is Daft Punk who actually did the awesome remix.
I think the same for new products, while the ones who do the R&D for new tech certainly deserve a lot of credit for their hard work, but the ones who can do the best remix of existing tech deserve the most credits. So I think that Apple does deserve a lot of credits for being able to remixing things in relatively better way. (also I do not have a single Apple product, I am not a Apple fanboy.) Let's say that the first iphone integrated many existing tech that many companies could get their hands on back then to create smart phones, but it was Apple the first one who could put things together so flawlessly. Yeah certain phones can have better touch screen, processor and other things, but it does not automatically mean that it will be a great products because the grand design is greater than the sum of its parts.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I guess that apple is not mature enough to develop technology to suit their needs(consumer is out) without being afraid that some other company will make better products with some inventions.

This doesn't stand for apple only.

Also the stupidest patent low suit is that apple sued Samsung over the design of their phones like they invented rectangular phones with rounded edges. And now to make all galaxy products illegal in US? Why do i have the feeling that these groups of hackers will start targeting apple on a large scale pretty soon?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i wonder how much i'm paying for royalties, patents, licenses, and all other intangibles when i buy a devce? even for stuffs i don't need or care to use but are included as features.

G

ROFL! A Communicating Stylus? Talk about patent trolling!

To see why this is not new or unique to Apple just google smart pen. There are tons of them already on the market.

Apple does not INNOVATE. They steal stuff, and then MARKET it to the Apple fan base. Because all Apple is good at is marketing and design.

Apple's tech is laughable. Just like the people that use it.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]iDumb is iDumb[/nom]ROFL! A Communicating Stylus? Talk about patent trolling!To see why this is not new or unique to Apple just google smart pen. There are tons of them already on the market. Apple does not INNOVATE. They steal stuff, and then MARKET it to the Apple fan base. Because all Apple is good at is marketing and design. Apple's tech is laughable. Just like the people that use it.[/citation]

The Livescribe smartpens works very differently. They only work with special, patented(!) paper.
The smartpen also only saves data and doesn't transfer it to a PC/tablet unless u plug in a USB cable.

different technology but "derp... derp... must hate Apple"

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]apple doesn't invent cheeeot, they take technology and make it idiot friendly..[/citation]
Best description for Apple EVER

Status
Not open for further replies.