New Asus x555 with no Bluetooth!

jactuscactus1

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
I recently bought an ASUS X555LJ-DM461T, which apparently comes with an 'optional' Bluetooth addition to the wireless card. Unfortunately I had already purchased the laptop before I realised this and of course, the one I ordered was the one without this option, surprise!

As far as I can tell, without pulling it apart, the laptop currently contains a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 wireless network adapter which I believe is a half mini PCIe card, can anyone confirm?

My problem is that I do not want to have to use an external usb wireless/Bluetooth adapter if I can help it, it will take up a usb slot that I cant really spare and from experience they have a tendency to cut out a bit in my house (must be some interference), which is quite annoying when using a keyboard or mouse. However, the internal adapter I had in my almost 10 year old Toshiba worked much better 99% of the time, so you may understand my frustration when I buy a brand new laptop and it doesn't have Bluetooth!

I don't want to have to return the ASUS, it was bought on the net from interstate and the money spent sending it back could perhaps be spent on upgrading my wireless card instead. So my question is, is it possible to replace the wireless card in my particular laptop? And if so, what are the best options in terms of Wireless +Bluetooth 4.0 cards that are compatible? I have been looking at the Intel AC7260 mini PCIe+ Bluetooth 4.0, but have not been able to find much info as to whether I can simply just swap them over and download new drivers. Any help would be much appreciated

If you want to find out exactly what is inside the laptop, either look in device manager, or open the laptop and see what card it has. There are many variations of models and it's very hard without looking up your system specifically by serial # with ASUS support to know what it came with. If you get a replacement card, it should be as simple as plugging it in and installing drives, but you have to check the antenna wires on the system with the card. If you go from an N to an AC the wires may not match or there may be more wires.

jactuscactus1

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Thanks for your reply hang-the-9, device manager was the only place i could find to tell me what card i had and it simply just says 'Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter'. All other info it gives me seems useless to me. Cant find anything on whether its n or ac, but i do believe i have read forums that have talked about swapping the Atheros AR9485 with the Intel AC7260 W+BT, but just not regarding my particular model laptop.

I have also seen a few posts talking about the Atheros AR9485WB-EG which is the bluetooth variant of mine i believe, have only read bad things about it though.

Another thing ive been thinking and also read a few times is that new laptops generally have the the dual antennas set up already for this upgrade, even if they dont have bluetooth capability. Considering that mines an option when buying, this reassures me somewhat that this may be the case with mine.

I am going to contact asus support and see if i can get any info from them but i dont have terribly high hopes, i am no genius with computers so if any one has anything else to add help it would be great