Question Thoughts on plugging in a cheap Bluetooth 5.3 USB dongle in a laptop with Bluetooth 4.0 built-in hoping for improvements?

Jan 20, 2024
I have a Windows 10 laptop with Bluetooth 4.0 built-in and new Bluetooth 5.3 headphones.

Is it possible to gain all the features of Bluetooth 5.3 by plugging in one of the cheap unbranded plug-and-play USB Bluetooth V5.3 adapter out there eg, on eBay?

Are there any limitations, risks, security, frequency interference, system resource, other technical issues worth being aware of please?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Jan 20, 2024
Thanks, found it but it's there is no info describing which version of Bluetooth. I'm guessing it's V4 as the machine is old. Looking for V5 or above so I guess USB bluetooth might be the only way.

Do you happen to know what to disable under Bluetooth in device manager prior to installing the USB bluetooth dongle please?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks, found it but it's there is no info describing which version of Bluetooth. I'm guessing it's V4 as the machine is old. Looking for V5 or above so I guess USB bluetooth might be the only way.

Do you happen to know what to disable under Bluetooth in device manager prior to installing the USB bluetooth dongle please?
What is the model number of the device you removed? You should be able to replace with an updated replacement device.

Like this:

Jan 20, 2024

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Ah good idea. I've not removed it yet however found a photo taken when I last had the case open.
The model factory installed is Intel model: 8260NGW FCC ID: PD98260NGU

Found an almost identical photo of it online:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L560-Core-i5-HDD-Notebook-Review.166159.0.html#2318133

I think it's Bluetooth 4.2 having googled it and discontinued.
Due you know or know how to tell if that card is upgradable?
Those are standard devices. The one I sent you earlier should be able to directly replace the one you have now. Once installed, Windows should detect and install new drivers.

Jan 20, 2024
Thanks that great. It's the WiFi 6E AX210 NGW Wireless Card M.2 2230/NGFF WiFi 6E Laptop Module with Bluetooth 5.3, 5400Mbps Tri-Band AX210 WiFi Chip Adapter.
So no need to uninstall or disable the old drivers in Device Manager then?
Also, how did you discover that they are fully compatible?
Are there risks upgrading?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can leave old drivers in place. Windows will manage around them and they take very little space.

They are fully compatible because these devices use a standard interface.

No real risks that I can think of. End result is a more capable wifi device.