Solved! New Audio-Video set up

Gregory_OU812

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
Hello, I just bought a new TV, bluray player, and sound bar. I what to know how to connect everything using the best cables to get the maximum potential from the devices. I have a Vizio M507-G1 TV. The blu ray player is a LG UBK90. The sound bar is a Vizio SB3651-E6. I have a Set Top Box using Frontier Fios Motorola HD QIP 71001. This box will be upgraded but for now this is what I will be using. Please help. Thanks

Solution
Connect all but the soundbar by HDMI to the TV
Connect the sound bar to the TV via an optical cable (spdif)

Another options you can use:
connect the TV via HDMI ARC to the soundbar HDMI ARC port and the blue ray player directly via HDMI to the soundbar HDMI In port, other devices (cable box) to the TV´s HDMI ports.

Have a look at this one, because of HDCP and other sound features, the one or the other method will be best:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZVlGxqIP-w
Connect all but the soundbar by HDMI to the TV
Connect the sound bar to the TV via an optical cable (spdif)

Another options you can use:
connect the TV via HDMI ARC to the soundbar HDMI ARC port and the blue ray player directly via HDMI to the soundbar HDMI In port, other devices (cable box) to the TV´s HDMI ports.

Have a look at this one, because of HDCP and other sound features, the one or the other method will be best:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZVlGxqIP-w

Last edited:
Solution
In this case the only advantage of using HDMI-ARC to connect the soundbar would be that if you turned on CEC in the TV you would be able to use the TV remote to adjust the volume of the soundbar and it would come on when your turned on the TV automatically.
If you used optical you would have to use the soundbar remote to do that.

Yes, have a look at the video I posted before.

The optical cable doesn´t support Dolby TrueHD or Atmos or DTS+ freatures. These features are only working with HDMI.
But I think your soundbar doesn´t provide HDCP2.2 to show 4k videos via HDMI. So you will need one HDMI port of the blueray player to connect to the TV´s HDMI (ARC) and the second HDMI (audio only) to connect to the sound bar.

Last edited:

Gregory_OU812

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
Great video.....thanks. So sorry to be so ignorant regarding this stuff but I am. If I were to purchase the new Vizio sound bar SB36512 F-6 (I believe this has 2 hdmi connections one with ARC which supports HDCP) How would I sent up my system now?