New Bill Aims to Ban Copyright Infringing Websites

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Reality10196[/nom]lol you call it theft i dont, theft to me means someone lost something(someone direct) the only people that can possible loose from lets say pirating a game is noone. [/citation]
I hate to break it to you, but when you pirate some software, music, video, or anything else you are taking it without permission. By the law, that's theft. It doesn't matter if you steal directly from a person. However, stealing directly from a person is technically robbery, not theft, which in of itself is a felony. If you steal enough exceeding a certain monetary value in your state, it can be classified as a felony, not just a misdemeanor. In most states, it can range from $300 to $700 in value of stolen items.

So yeah, if you pirate enough stuff, don't go crying to the judge. He or she will not give a damn about your misinterpretation of the law.

dkraptor

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot

ansemx324

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Reality10196[/nom]lol you call it theft i dont, theft to me means someone lost something(someone direct) the only people that can possible loose from lets say pirating a game is noone. gaming is so big even if your games get pirated you stil make enough money. lets quickly work out a simple smartphone game. if it sels for 2$ and 50 000 ppl paid for it thats 100 000$. thats alot of money for such a small app.so no i dont see piracy as theft in the case where the other guy looses. the programmers always get their pay, if they dont then the company they work for has to pay them. they dont get paid end product, they get paid monthly via development. so more sales doesnt necesarily mean more in the pocket for the programmers.so yea piracy is not theft, if you wanna steal a game that only 3 ppl has paid for and its actualy good then so be it you actualy stole something. but if u steal a game where 50 000+ people bought it... i dont care he made alot of money from that.[/citation]

I'm not sure I agree. By that definition every shoplifter is off the hook. I could go take a laptop from the store and it would be cool because thousands/millions of other people are also buying it, so the company is still being paid. You can apply that logic to most real theft and then claim its not theft, but I don't think the cops or a jury would agree with you if you went around taking things from stores with that reasoning.

While I'm not a guns blazing anti piracy person, and I'm actually very strongly against this bill, I'm also against your logic here because it doesn't make a lot of sense...

custodian-1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I work a school they use a system called shelterbelt it's an internet filter blocking the bad web sights frankly they are created so fast that it can't keep up blacklisting won't work it will just create a cottage industry of subscription proxy servers off shore.

G

[citation][nom]droking[/nom]Hell no. I do not support such bill.[/citation]

Eventually, they'll realize that the times they are a changin'... They need to re-adjust their business model to properly handle whatever their "calculated losses" are. I still think a pirate will not pay for something if its unavailable to pirate. If there was no way to pirate something, I doubt it would have any impact on sales. Once these companies realize they could save all that money they use to lobby politicians, line the pockets of officials, and lawyers' fees, they will no longer feel butt-hurt when a bad product doesn't sell well.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
This is basically prohibition for certain internet content. Is the U.S. so stupid enough to know that prohibition NEVER worked in the history of our country? It just starts more criminal activities. There was no organized crime in this country until they prohibited alcohol.

Marijuana was the cash crop of America till they prohibited that too. Now look at us. The government is losing upwards of 30-50billion dollars annually because America can't tax it.

Human kind is doomed for failure.

G

hollywood is long overdue for a boycott they play by their own rules in our country and its time to send em all back to israel and free their american bank account these scum have been dragging us into war since the 1950s and well beforehand as well. This goyim says fuck israel and every single heeb on the planet.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Reality10196[/nom]lol you call it theft i dont, theft to me means someone lost something(someone direct) the only people that can possible loose from lets say pirating a game is noone. gaming is so big even if your games get pirated you stil make enough money. lets quickly work out a simple smartphone game. if it sels for 2$ and 50 000 ppl paid for it thats 100 000$. thats alot of money for such a small app.so no i dont see piracy as theft in the case where the other guy looses. the programmers always get their pay, if they dont then the company they work for has to pay them. they dont get paid end product, they get paid monthly via development. so more sales doesnt necesarily mean more in the pocket for the programmers.so yea piracy is not theft, if you wanna steal a game that only 3 ppl has paid for and its actualy good then so be it you actualy stole something. but if u steal a game where 50 000+ people bought it... i dont care he made alot of money from that.[/citation]
It's selfish jackasses like you that the gov't uses as justification to pass this kind of BS legislation and grow gov't that hurts the rest of us. Pay for the things you want to use you cheapskate.

What really pisses me off about this bill is this is just more gov't intrusion into our lives and it comes from the very people (Lamar Smith (R-TX)) that claim to be the ones that want to reduce the size and reach of gov't.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Lol at the idiots blaming piracy for this bill.Blame the corporations who buy off the politicians, you idiots.[/citation]
Oh, I blame them too, and the system that keeps it operating in this fashion. But, to say 'the pirates' are an innocent party and absolved of any blame is kind of a naive position to take.

We're not talking gas to heat your house or food to feed your kids here, we're talking entertainment, hardly a necessity of life. If you can't afford to buy it (or just don't want to) then you don't get to have it. If you think 60$ is too much for a video game, then don't buy it; but to for someone to use that as justification as to why you should pirate it is just foolish. I, personally, haven't spent more than 30$ on any A-list title and I own a ton of them. In fact, most titles I purchase are usually around 15$ or less when I buy them and they're still the exact same game that it was at 60$ 6 months to a year ago (or, frequently, it's a better game due to user-made content and bug-fixes). I just wait for the price to drop (which it always does ... unless it's Diablo 2) until it's at the point where I feel the cost and value are in line.

applefairyboy

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
This is wierd. Why don't they shut down the flea markets then? It's flooded with counterfeit, bootleg, and copyright infringing items for sale. This won't work, the economy needs the black market too.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
It all comes to a simple question - who the law should protect?
And is a law right, just because it's a law? If it is then what's about the laws of oppressing regimes? Or what, all of you - defenders of the pure law, never heard about such things?

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
FYI: Chris Dodd (along with Barney Frank), the guy behind this bill, is largely responsible for the laws that led directly to Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae existing as they did and failing as they did.

We should TOTALLY trust his proven sound judgment!

Status
Not open for further replies.