New Bill Forces Corporations To Disclose Data Breaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"Failure to follow the notification standard under the act results in a fine up to $500,000 USD."

That's chump change compared to a PR disaster. Look at Sony for example. Up the fines or companies are simply going to write off $500,000 as a minor loss.

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
And knowing this congress (and the last one... and the one before that... and the one before that and...) it's going to stall in the senate because it is a "Republican" bill.

We need MORE partisan bickering in congress. When they stab eachother, its one less politician to worry about.

G

Sorry if this is off topic but i had to rent...please skip my post if you dont like political crap.

Interesting how after 5 MILLIONS they said "hmmm got to do somthing for the CORPS...so lets establish a LAW that they dont have to pay more then 1/2 Milion"
I mean did you realy think they will do ANYTHING for the people IF it goes AGAINST the CORPS? NEVER do Repablican do anything UNLESS it is at the same time benefitial to CORPS...or at very least benefitial to them BUT not of any negative to the CORPS.
God when will my fellow conservatives realise we have to PURGE the PARTY? Who cares if DEMS win the election if all we will get with REPS is jet another stab in the back. I DONT since at least i can be mad at "the other team"....get it? I tryed realy hard to belive in REPS and their media....but on the end of the day i had to recognize the patern it followed......the sad thing is i switched over from DEMS 10 years back....cause i recognizd they are hopless case of braindwashing mashine...and still are. Where am i going to go now? They can all go to hell....all I EVER learned is that tey will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to better their position and ANYTHING and EVERYHING they do they DONT do it for us...one just have to aske WHY and research/think it trough for a while and you find a hiden agenda. Those two parties have LONG stoped giving a damn about their party idiology nad have GLOBAL aganda nowdays....they will screw all america IF they see it standing in the way of their GLOBAL goals. When will america wake up...they are seting us up ...little by little....telling us its all for our own good...till they have all the mechanics in place and we find ourself unable to do anything about it. People need to learn form history. This LAW is no diferent particulary coming from REPS. I mean particulary since i am conservative it always baged me that on EVERY thing online the REPS vote AGAINST everything they preach in every other area of life and you will NEVER hear it mantion on radio shows, and if they (while not outhright lieng) missrepresent every internet LAW wrong and make it look just the oposite of what it is UNLESS the very law benefits CORPS....WHY? That ALWAYS made my blood boil. At least i know what to expect form LIBS, but it obvius that for REPS the CORPS come first and formost. We laugh at LIBS for being sheep, jet most conservatives are JUST that TOO. THERE, now go ahead and rate me down to oblivion for telling how it is.

G

Your block of text is tl;dr. But, you are right.

This is not a bill for consumers. This is a bill designed to limit corporate liability and leave consumers high and dry.

Congress does not care about people because no person can legally match the campaign donations of a corporate super-PAC.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
So, if we can step away from the high-horse and the political rants and such for a moment, I'd like to actually add something to the conversation. This proposed bill is a relatively good first step, but it could use a little tweaking, although I would like to read the actual text before full throatily endorsing it. But, I would first lower, if not eliminate, the basement they put in for how many people have to be affected before this bill takes effect. Can we seriously say that an organization who is breached but only has 9,999 customers affected should not be held to this standard of simply reporting it? Second, I would propose changing the penalty to a more progressive format based on the type of information that is lost and how many people are effected. I don't agree that half a million dollars is simply something even Sony can just "write-off", but would be letting them off too easily for delayed or ignored reporting requirements. Finally, I would like to see stiffer penalties included for those who are convicted of data theft or breaching secured personal files.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
And knowing this congress (and the last one... and the one before that... and the one before that and...) it's going to stall in the senate because it is a "Republican" bill.

We need MORE partisan bickering in congress. When they stab eachother, its one less politician to worry about.
You mean the same thing when the republicans controlled congress for years and a "Democrat" bill would be stalled indefinitely? Someones been listening to way too much Rush lol.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]This proposed bill is a relatively good first step.[/citation]
actually not, it is a corporation protection bill with a PR spin in its title... and it will pass with flying colors because both parties are wholly owned and controlled by the corporations that this bill serves to protect

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]You mean the same thing when the republicans controlled congress for years and a "Democrat" bill would be stalled indefinitely? Someones been listening to way too much Rush lol.[/citation]

Hence "and the one before that"?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
about time...most companies will not let their customers know that their systems have been hacked because most people will seek business somewhere else...it's a shame

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ParyBeGone[/nom]Sorry if this is off topic but i had to rent...please skip my post if you dont like political crap.Interesting how after 5 MILLIONS they said "hmmm got to do somthing for the CORPS...so lets establish a LAW that they dont have to pay more then 1/2 Milion" I mean did you realy think they will do ANYTHING for the people IF it goes AGAINST the CORPS? NEVER do Repablican do anything UNLESS it is at the same time benefitial to CORPS...or at very least benefitial to them BUT not of any negative to the CORPS. God when will my fellow conservatives realise we have to PURGE the PARTY? Who cares if DEMS win the election if all we will get with REPS is jet another stab in the back. I DONT since at least i can be mad at "the other team"....get it? I tryed realy hard to belive in REPS and their media....but on the end of the day i had to recognize the patern it followed......the sad thing is i switched over from DEMS 10 years back....cause i recognizd they are hopless case of braindwashing mashine...and still are. Where am i going to go now? They can all go to hell....all I EVER learned is that tey will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to better their position and ANYTHING and EVERYHING they do they DONT do it for us...one just have to aske WHY and research/think it trough for a while and you find a hiden agenda. Those two parties have LONG stoped giving a damn about their party idiology nad have GLOBAL aganda nowdays....they will screw all america IF they see it standing in the way of their GLOBAL goals. When will america wake up...they are seting us up ...little by little....telling us its all for our own good...till they have all the mechanics in place and we find ourself unable to do anything about it. People need to learn form history. This LAW is no diferent particulary coming from REPS. I mean particulary since i am conservative it always baged me that on EVERY thing online the REPS vote AGAINST everything they preach in every other area of life and you will NEVER hear it mantion on radio shows, and if they (while not outhright lieng) missrepresent every internet LAW wrong and make it look just the oposite of what it is UNLESS the very law benefits CORPS....WHY? That ALWAYS made my blood boil. At least i know what to expect form LIBS, but it obvius that for REPS the CORPS come first and formost. We laugh at LIBS for being sheep, jet most conservatives are JUST that TOO. THERE, now go ahead and rate me down to oblivion for telling how it is.[/citation]

but, if this law goes through, and they get fined, it means they clearly did something wrong, which would mean that we wouldn't be tied up in a class action forever, and could get the process done faster, if not proving that they insufficiently secured their systems, not reporting it fast enough or right would be a clear violation, and could be lumped into the lawsuits to get crap done faster, unless there is a no sue clause.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The law make sense and I would certainly support it, in-fact I am extremely surprised by it as our entire government appears to always back the corporations no matter what they do.

Failure to follow the notification standard under the act results in a fine up to $500,000 USD.

This sadly is nothing compared however to large corporations it may even be better to take the risk of having to pay the fine. This is why I cannot support limited liability when it comes to corporations, if corporations are indeed "people" then they should receive the same punishments if they are capable of getting the same rights. I am tired of corporations being above the law or at best pathetic punishments when they willfully break them.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Good and you see this was done by a Republican. When ever you see kook legislation there is almost always a D beside the name.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom]And knowing this congress (and the last one... and the one before that... and the one before that and...) it's going to stall in the senate because it is a "Republican" bill.We need MORE partisan bickering in congress. When they stab eachother, its one less politician to worry about.[/citation]
It will stall because of the traitor Harry Reid who is Obama's bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.