New editing sys dilemma

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, I finally was able to get a price on the canapus dv storm -- 2195 cdn before taxes. I might be able to shave 100 or more off by ordering direct depending on the dollar difference and duty.
There is only one dealer in all of ontario and the one more in Montreal, 2 more in BC.

I was reading about the Pinincle DC1000DV -- I know old technology of C-Cube, but it says and I quote
"The entire process from capture to delivery remains digital, making the production process easier and faster. Video is always 100% MPEG-2 for the highest level of data efficiency without compromise to quality. DC1000DV is designed for, videotape, CD-ROM, and Internet video delivery"
I don't understand how they can say the entire process is digital if its in Mpeg2??? Play on words.
That it will be put into Mpeg2 format does not bother me as I want to convert that to mpeg4 for saving space and getting a reasonable image -- I'm not going into the video business profession so I don't believe I need best.

Any thoughts!

Patrick

Take Care.
What the heck was that all about!

Brada

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
there comes somebody with his own eyes, et last!
i told you a few posts ago, that pinnacle and matrox are using mpeg-based chipset, and not only mpeg based, it's very limited capabilities. canopus is using some other chipset. you can easyly recognize that mpeg board has 6pin firewire connector, and good boards have 4 pin, same one as it is on the camcorders (this is something other people told me, this are not my own words). when you capture with pinnacle or matrox board, you will see immediate quality loss, picture softening. this is because they are not capturing in native dv format, they transcode.
you should see how is matrox counting how many effects comes with rt2k. they say 2000, or 5000, i don't know the real number. but, they count this way: left wipe is one effect, right wipe is second effect, top wipe is third etc. after some time they got bored counting and they claim there's 2000 effects. :))))))))))) i seriously doubt that somebody can count storm's effects and filters if you use that method... :)

digital? yes, every file in the computer is digital. :)

there is only one board that i would like to think about except canopus, it is dps - but they are very expensive.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
"I'm not going into the video business profession so I don't believe I need best"
i don't understand this, if i certainly wasn't in or going into professional/indie editing, i certainly wouldn't even be bothering looking at a $900 or $1100 (USD) capture card. to each his own i guess.

Brada

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe. i am using canopus ezdv, for editing my d8 tapes from hollidays and children. i had the oportunity to see canopus dvstorm and many other hardware at work. when i saw canopus dvrex rt professional (this is afaik most powerfull dv editing hardware on the market), when i told him to do this or that filter (filter: applying on the whole clip), and rex made it at the same moment i clicked ok, i felt in love. if i have money, i would buy myself rex rt pro. for now, in the next few months, maybe i can afford storm, but i can easily understand that somebody has got the money and why he wants to buy a good stuff. :)

G

Ok.. Thanks.

At 2195 cdn$'s before taxes I will have to think long and hard. Time is running out.

Patrick

Take Care.

G

Well I guess you have a point, but these cards at this are considered semi-professional / entry level. Going to a 200$ card is consider hobbyist. 3000$ and up (for cards alone) gets you into the professional circle -- at least from what I have decerned from my readings.

I want to get something that will do a little more then the job so that in future I don't have to upgrade because I didn't spend an extra 200 and then have to buy some new product to do that new feature -- I'm just rambling.

Thanks for the input.

Take Care.

G

Well, the backers to my video editing project have given me the cheque for 7000$ Cdn dollars. All I have to do now is figure out what I want.

Right now my I'm looking at:
P4 1.8 CPU
TH7II MB
256 Rdram
2 X 80gig seagates 7200 ata100 (storage)
1 X 20gig seagate for OS
LG 16X burner - purchased
16X DVD
17" Sceptre lcd monitor
Pinnacles Pro-one NLE edit card.
Scanner -- unknown

Does not seem like much of a list but with all the other little things it ads up fast.

With the drop in prices on monday for amd processors and the new cheaper tyan dual boards out now, I was reconsidering the dual amd system.

Still thinking. Will make a decision before end of the month.

Patrick

Take Care.

G

Just got the 1st part of my system-- was on limited time special so I got one -- 17" Sceptre LCD.

SWEET!

Take Care.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Congrats on the sweet purchase.

I don't know much about higher end video input cards except that they are expensive and so I question the wisdom of getting an expensive LCD monitor. Sweet as it is wouldn't the money have been better spent on a better video input card?

G

You have a good point, but when your spending someone elses money you tend to do odd things. The lcd was a treat in the system purchase. I had been wanting an lcd for some time and the price was write. It's the best thing for video editing (colour,contrast) -- I realized that but it was more of an inpluse item then anything. I spent the same on my 1st 17" when they where just coming out -- this time it was someelses cash.

The main reason I wanted it was a couple people said working with lcd displays seem easier on the eyes and thus I will be doing a lot of time in front of it this winter.

Thanks for the input.

Take Care.

cracow99

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hi.
I want to get a new editing system this Sept. I have a budget of about 6000.00$ CDN.

I was looking at a single processor unit with an Matrox RT2500 editing card or at a dual CPU with no editing card. No the budget will not allow for both .. I wish it did.

I have the task of transfering all the family video's(vid8,hi8,Dig8) to cd's.. I want to convert them to mpeg4 to get more on the 80min cd's. I also want to do some editing using Premiere.

Now for the dilemma - daul cpu gives real time conversion of mpeg2 to mpeg4(at least with the dual Xeon).
But the Matrox will give a faster editing platform - at least that is what I understand. I have not heard yet if a high end daul processor unit will give as good (real time) use of Premiere as with a good editing card.

Any thoughts or comments will be mostly appriciated.

Patrick.
It's hard to get the best bang for your buck.

Take Care.

Well the answer is not very difficult. Converter card such as Matrox products do not use much the CPU to convert, the chipset that does the job is on the converter card. It uses the same process as for graphic cards. You could use a Matrox converter on a Pentium IV like I do without a fuss. Make sure that your system has the less TSR's running as possible , turn off your internet access, virus and alikes sft for best results. Try not to install another card such as a graphic card just besides it because of the heat, each will produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.