New Gaming Laptop freezing, Cannot find solution

pflugyfresh

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Okay, just bought a new Laptop. A Sager NP6852 Notebook. I installed the OS and I believe i have downloaded all the latest drivers. It freezes only when playing games, although i can run my games with ease and great quality. When the computer freezes all audio cuts out and I have to force restart my laptop. Other than freezing, there is no lag or issues running the game itself. Freezing occurs anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours of playing games, this is very frustrating. Things I have tried so far: completely uninstalling NVIDIA programs/drivers and reinstalling, updating intel drivers, updating windows, reduce disk usage (it was high), repair the c:// drive.
Specs:
7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor
15.6" Full HD IPS Matte Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz
1TB 5400rpm SATA3 HDD

pflugyfresh

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Driver was already updated, ran the updater anyway though and repaired that driver just in case. Don't think this was the issue for me though

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from pflugyfresh : "New Laptop Freezing, don't know why"

pflugyfresh

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and passed all the tests. The Drivers are all from that site, the Nvidia and Intel drivers needed to be updated again though. I ran Prime95 and used HWmonitor to check my temps for when my CPU usage is at 100%. Most temps were at around 40-45 degrees Celsius to begin with and they climbed up to around 85-90 degrees Celsius during the stress test. I figured these programs gave you the general results you wanted out of the programs you mentioned. If you want more info I can download the programs you mentioned instead.

pflugyfresh

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Just want to make something clear, I'm not an extremely tech savvy person. Anyway I ran the Furmark test and my temps maxed out at 78 degrees Celcius. 3dMark is still downloading (3.7GB download) and you wanted me to download memtest86 onto a flash drive and run it from there? Just want to be clear.

[Edit] What do you mean by check hdd with manufacturers tool? Not sure how i'd do that or what program to run. I've checked the drive for possible errors to be repaired and came up clean if that is what you meant

Memtest86+ can be downloaded as autoinstaller. Yes from the flash drive, restart notebook after installing and boot from it.
Depending which hdd you have from Seagate, western digital, samsung, .. Those companies have special tools for their hardware.

pflugyfresh

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Okay, will try to do as you're saying. These are the results from 3dMark. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18111227
[Edit] Got completely lost trying to run Memtest86. Have no clue what I am doing. Ran Seatools because my hdd is from seagate apparently. Tests came out clean

zpjet791

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
I tried making sure that all drivers on my unit were absolutely up-to-date, because I found that Windows 10 automatically installs some pretty old drivers by default. No dice, this did not fix the freezing.

Since I've tried it in all configurations I possibly can I'm sending the unit back to Sager.

sending it back is probably the best way at the moment

I think the most probable cause you have problems is the false nvidia driver. 3Dmark says you have installed the 378.66 driver, but when I go to nvidia.com, there is just the version 378.49 for the mobile 1050TI graphics driver.

Maybe you installed the desktop and not the notebook driver version?
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/114350

memtest86+:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
just download the autoinstaller and run it, then use an empty USB flash drive to install it to. Reboot and boot with the USB flash drive

pflugyfresh

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Ahh ok, i'll try the nvidia driver thing and tell you if that works. Earlier, I took a look at my event viewer and I came upon a discovery. My computer is shutting off due to: Event 41, Kernel Power error. This seems like it could be the root of the problem. Most online forums say it's a power issue but I don't know if that could be true since I have a laptop. Anyhow i'll see if installing this different driver will fix my issue.

pflugyfresh

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Yeah my laptop is always charging when it crashes. When people have this issue with a PC it is because the PSU is faulty but I don't know if that can really be the reason if im using a laptop.

Why do you think a faulty power system wouldn't be possible because you have a laptop?
If the battery is defective or overheating while charging or the power supply is defective, this would explain your symptoms. Also the charge electronics of your laptop could be defective

zpjet791

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017

Darn, and I already returned it. Hopefully they'll update the BIOS on it and it'll fix the issue. Really curious to know what the cause of the problem was in the end.

Dillon_16

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Ya, they possibly figure out the problem with your machine and are suingg it to fix the BIOS. Did you get the batch of computers that shipped out when the screens came back in stock on the 20th? Also my computer just crashed and made a loud clicking noise over and over so they better hope they fix this quick or its just going to cost them money.