NEW: help choosing 5.1 PC audio vs Home theater

sunnyimran

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hello, My PC mobo (ASUS P5QL PRO) has built-in Realtek 7.1 sound output.

Wanna buy a 5.1 speaker system

I need to choose between these 5.1 speakers

EDIFIER R251 http://www.edifier.com/eng2005/product/s0024_01.htm

OR

LOGITECH X 530 http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/211

OR

HOME THEATER ?
SONY DAV TZ 210 http://www.sony.com.au/product/dav-tz210

SONY DAV TZ 130 http://www.sony.com.au/product/dav-tz130

Q.1 Put you opinion in Logitech x 530 and Edifier R251 which one is best in audio quality?

Q.2 with little high price those above two SONY home theaters available, they are also 5.1 Will they perform better than above two logitech and edifier speakers?

I will currently use it with my PC built in audio.

Later wanna use with LCD TV, DVD and other accessories. In that case will PC speaker be god choice or above home theaters? ( giving priority to powerful quality audio, Please suggest. Thanks

When PC audio on home theater 5.1 -OR- on 5.1 PC speakers, which will be more quality audio?

Please suggest. Thanks

sunnyimran

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
One thing I questioned wrong , perhaps,

those SONY Home theater 5.1 discussed above , there is no INPUTS for 5.1 audio, and it is just regular stereo input. So it will be hooked up to stereo output only, from PC, and can't be hooked up for 5.1 channel out of PC

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
i seen a picture of the back of the sony 210 .. you are right, there is no input for 5.1 audio.
it only works with 5.1 when there is 5.1 in a movie (or maybe an audio dvd)
the total harmonic distortion of the sony is listed at 10%
most of the receivers on the market (in usa) are less than 1%

it is kinda hard to get 5.1 surround sound from the PC with a digital connection anyways.
if you arent playing a movie with 5.1 audio .. the rest will be stereo output UNLESS there is some mention of using the dolby digital or dts encoder.
these programs are called 'dolby digital live' and 'dts connect'

my motherboard has a chipset that says these encoders are capable, but the actual motherboard doesnt offer any such encoding.
nothing in the driver software from the motherboard manufacturer.. and nothing in the driver software from the realtek website download.

have you learned how you plan on connecting anything to the motherboard soundcard?
you might be stuck in the same situation as me, no way to get video games to output surround sound unless you use the analog connections.
it looks like the logitech and the edifier are analog input only.. so there shouldnt be any confusion about how to hook them up.

which one sounds better.. i dont know, i havent heard either one.

if you think about the nature of each setup:
1. computers makes noises like 'ding' and 'goodbye' without any real need for high accuracy.
most people will watch youtube videos, but they wont get into the realm of audiophile until there is enough support from the person buying the speakers.
that means dvd audio and higher sample rates and bit depths.
we shouldnt expect everybody to listen to high quality audio while browsing the internet.
the media on the internet isnt high quality enough to suggest a speaker upgrade.

2. home audio speakers are almost always being requested that the audio quality be high.
even when watching television, there are channels broadcasting surround sound.
this environment has a higher demand.
for anybody to want something, they need to know what they need to avoid.
some people use methods of 'dont want' to help them obtain something that doesnt have any of the problems they listed.
this usually means they might not discover something of higher quality because they dont know they need it.

that is why i have been suggesting people use time delay and get a calibrated microphone to adjust an equalizer.

there is a whole lot of hearing something you dont want.. and there isnt enough of hearing an upgrade to teach people things could be better than what they are.

i think there is always one speaker better than another.
that means an audiophile speaker for the computer can be better than a non-audiophile speaker for home theater.
a lot of studios and audio mastering takes place on a computer.
that gives rise to computer speakers needing some audiophile quality.
but
maybe those speakers are 'studio' speakers, and they arent marketed towards computer or home theater use.

i would think, to get the best.. it will always come in the form of a speaker with a seperate amplifier.
and that totally rules out computer speakers, because a built-in amplifier to amplify the sound from the soundcard is what makes them a computer speaker.
of course, the 3.5mm headphone connector really seals the deal.

sunnyimran

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks anwaypasible

for the detailed discussion and you are right. There must first be awareness then need arises and then market for such product grows.

I have come down to these points:

- so far for audio, most media ( including, MP3, live music on net, .....) is still in stereo form. No multi channel media like 5.1 etc. Dolby and DTS and surround sound are special features and not all music stuff have them.

- most home theater systems do produce multi channel audio when media being played is also multi channel. Otherwise they are also plain stereo. ( not considering the regular stereo media to be spread and played on all 5.1 channels by the equipment, again it would'nt be true multi channel though).

-Most home entry level home theaters do have inputs but not for multi channels, it is usually regular stereo.

- Most entry level multichannel speakers behave just like a regular 2.1 system becuase content is not multi channel.

NOW

since entry level home theater is still expensive compared to entry level PC speakers multi channel and home theaters have no multi channel inputs , I bought logitech x 530 5.1 speakers.

experience: not really good. on 90% of my content it is just regular stereo and only front two speakers and sub works. I used my sound card driver settings to spread stereo on all speakers but overall experience is not really good.

I had been using creative inspire 2.1 system since years and they are still sounding much better than this new 5.1

logitech x 530 was bought after reading reviews and points not going in favour of creative 5.1

That's my story.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
for computers, we are certainly at a 'need arise' step.
not a lot of high sample rate audio.. hardly any surround sound audio or videos.

even for the home theater.. i dont see a lot of DVD or bluray audio being advertised, and it is making me think the stuff either doesnt exist
or
they are upsampling and re-mastering the poor quality of the original copy and people arent happy with it.

the experience, as far as perfection, is when you dont have to close your eyes and imagine really being there.
as the audio is vivid and lifelike with such realism that your brain knows there isnt a live band setup because the space available would be tight (and perhaps obnoxious)
but
the realism is enough to trick one into having a desire to turn around and have a look for themselves.
and this is with two speakers using some high quality matrixing for the center channel.

the realism of that high degree introduced to 5.1 speakers is quite a bit different.
the result is downright SURROUNDING.. like if you were listening to water spilling into a room, your brain might actually get the thought deep in the back of your mind that your feet are wet (or are gonna get wet) and all you have to do is wiggle your feet to realize they are wet.

i like to think stereo sound from quadrophonic speakers is nice when i am trying to fill the air with more details.
but
if the speakers are the exact same, you only have two options:
1. turn the volume up and hope the speakers dont distort
2. realize the speakers arent giving the quality sound because the speaker is junk

sometimes if the speaker is small enough, it is better to use the rear speakers for the extra cone surface area to fill the room with audio.
this is especially true when the speaker cant be turned up without distorting.
i have found it to be easier to simply add the rear speakers for more details, instead of turning up the volume.
i dont want more loudness, i want more details.. you see, and that is the key point.
maybe because my front speakers are different than my rear speakers, when i combine the two i get more details without raising the dB level much at all.
it is the sound pressure that goes up, not the decibel level.
more speaker cones = more sound pressure level possible = more harmonics in the air.

harmonics are a product of cone movement.
but
you can add more cones instead of turning the volume up.
they say adding two more speakers to a stereo setup instantly gives you a 3dB increase.
whether that is a fact on a dB meter or an artistic expression for the added details, i have yet to care :sleep:

to be fully honest with you..
i believe those speaker cones with the logitech x-530's are simply too small to see the benefit of the added harmonics.
within that small size, your best bet is to try and get the imaging or 'stereo' effect bigger.
with an averaged sized room, i would say no smaller than 4 inches per speaker to really hear any harmonics.

try some time alignment.. you should get a bit more details out of the speaker.
speaker distance is a relative thing.
1. the speaker distance between you and the speaker
2. the speaker distance between the left speaker and the right speaker

when number 2 gets put into emphasis, you get a much stronger sense of depth.
if the speakers sound flat, you will still get the benefit of hearing more from the speaker.

especially true when you have the speakers on your desk and they are only like 2 or 3 ft away from you.
there isnt really anything there to bring the left and right speaker close together of eachother.
as the void in the center remains, so will the details.
i use the rear speakers to help fill in my center void.. it doesnt come from the center between the left and right, but it comes from the center between the front and rear.
ONE of those voids really needs some help.
because it is the void (seperation) that ruins the imagining.

some of the time delay programs also have stereo wideners.
a stereo widener can widen the sound by brining the left sound further left and the right sound further right.
but
another stereo widener might bring the left sound further towards the center, and the right sound further to the center.
each individual channel has to join with another for the sound to be less fatiguing.

if i were you, i'd try the following:
download foobar
download the kernel streaming (or asio4all) plugin
search and download the 'channel mixer' plugin

setup foobar to use kernel streaming or asio4all (whichever)
then load up the channel mixer plugin.
inside channel mixer will be some time delay and a stereo widener.
you have the option to use the milliseconds you want for delay.. or you could measure the distance and change the inches to meters.
this alone should show an improvement.
but
try turning the stereo widener up all the way and see if things improve any.

some people simply do not like a whole bunch of 'nothing' surrounding them.
and if the speakers are really bad, it might sound like some 'nothing' with a spice of cardboard or paper.
i have found the stereo widener to sound kinda 'cardboard' or 'paper' sounding.. but i use it to help further draw out the details from the speakers.

i mean, i have been listening to some music on myspace without the time delay and stereo widener, and i just switched to listening to foobar - the change is like something soothing for a headache.

sunnyimran

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks anwaypasible

I tried foobar2000 and it is far more better than any other player in my situation. I get a better control over equalizer

please suggest some good plug-ins or other tweaks for foobar2000

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
i faithfully believe if you dont experience something better when using foobar with the channel mixer, it might be something inside of you that doesnt like the speakers.
but
some of the realtek soundcards have been known to be bad quality for sound clarity.
i know this, one because i am using a realtek HD onboard soundcard myself.. and two, because i have heard a few people say they bought a dedicated soundcard and heard an improvement.
from what i have read, it is rare that a realtek soundcard sounds just as good as any of the lower end dedicated soundcards.

i must say, i have heard more distortion with the realtek soundcard.. but there was also some more details.
the reason i say distortion is because it sounded as if the noise floor was high.
somebody told me that the correct term to use for the details being spit out fast and full is called an amplifier's "slew rate"
because i was talking about how fast an amplifier can output punches and harmonics and transients for a subwoofer.
they corrected me and said the 'damping factor' is the resistance of the speaker outputs to any voltage input.. and that the "slew rate" is the term that describes how fast the amplifier circuit will spit out everything.

anyways.. i just want to say this,
maybe you are still unhappy because the subwoofer is connected to the front speakers (and maybe the rear speakers) when playing stereo.
i dont know if the sub works when not in surround sound.. but if it does, then it is probably getting bass signals from both the front channels.
when you add time delay to those two channels.. the time delay will also be heard from the subwoofer.

so if you have 3ft for the front left .. 5ft for the front right ... you should try to put the subwoofer 8ft from your ear (or at least.. 8ft from the chair)
that should even things out between the subwoofer and the main speakers.

i would also say, try connecting the speakers to a different sound source and see if the audio quality changes.
trying to give a heads up, because those time delays and stereo widening should be pleasant rather than a nuisance.
and
if you find it bothersome, it might be your inner personal feelings towards the sound quality coming from the speakers.

i simply love the example i used above.
'i want more details, not more loudness'
that is usually a certain sign that there is something in the chain of hardware that doesnt have the audio quality you dont want.
and i havent heard those speakers ever, so from my point of view.. it could be the speakers or the soundcard causing the constant grief.
some people arent deep into thought when it comes to speakers, they will turn up the volume to try and get more details output.
you just need to ask yourself.. is it loud enough to hear without being drown out by the silence of the room?
if you answer yes, then something has junk sound quality.

with that said,
i am also a little bit curious to hear a reply on what you think of the audio when the channel mixer was used.

there is a plugin within foobar (comes with the program) that converts stereo into 4 channel output.
you might find it worth a go to add the rear speakers for more of an effect.. probably adding to the results obtained from the channel mixer (except from behind you)
when it is done, it shouldnt really sound like the sound is behind you.. the sound kinda appears to be coming from all directions of the horizontal plane.
if you are hearing too much individuality from the rear speakers, and you adjusted the time delay for them, then you probably need to turn down the output of the rear speakers.

i also see that channel mixer has the option to change the number of speakers output (that just dawned on me and i opened up the program to make sure i was right)
this will allow you to use the center channel too if you desire.
and you will also get the opportunity to set the delay for the subwoofer seperately IF the subwoofer isnt taking any audio information from the front left/right speakers (otherwise leave it at 0 and use the 8ft rule mentioned above).

if you really REALLY arent happy with the sound quality..
i stumbled upon a program that i think does a decent job, but during the demo trial it cuts out the audio every 20 or 30 seconds.
you can find that program here: http://www.crysonic.com/spectralivenxt.html
this plugin requires the vst plugin for foobar.
but
this program costs $144 .. and it is on sale for only $36

i agree, most of the audio associated with computers is stereo. this is most certainly true for all windows sounds, mp3/other audio files, youtube/internet and other such audio sources. this is why 2.1 systems are still so common. playing movies and games on the pc can however take advantage of 5.1 sound.

if you really want to make use of all your speakers for such sounds they can be set to repeat the same signal as the FL/FR speakers but it is unreasonable to expect surround sound from a non surround sound source. i'm currently using a 5.1 system and I make this change sometimes, but usually i leave it on surround as i have multiple audio sources playing at once (ie itunes up while a game is up. one supports surround, one doesnt)

anwaypasible:

i've noticed that some blueray audio tracks (such as on avatar) do sound much better than audio on some blueray disks that i have. however, i don't own a blueray/non blueray copy of two identical movies so i've never been able to make a true comparison. my thoughts on this are that the newer released movies are probably hidef and that the older movies transferred to blueray are either upconverted or just in their uncompressed forms.

the only pc audio i could see getting an upgrade for surround sound would have to be music as this could definitely bring out some subtleties we don't have now. however when you take it on the go with you (ipod, etc) surround sound is kind of pointless. until there is a huge demand for such things i doubt anything will change.

sunnyimran

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
That's a fact that we are still far from real 5.1 media.

After experiencing foobar2000 , I feel we need to see an improvement in regular players like Windows Media player etc. If foobar2000 is processing audio data more intelligently before delivering to output, why these regular media players not doing that. I experienced a direct improvement in listening experience on same speakers, same audio card, everything same except the player.

My interest is grown in foobar2000 now, please someobody suggest experimenting, tweaking and playing on foobar2000 guides.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

older movies are remastered when put on blueray, this is why you can still get a 1964 films on bluray for example zulu. most films are filmed using film -reel cameras (future proof for this very reason of REMASTERING) so 'upconvert@ isnt possible... anyway u will k ow mosre on this if u research on film mastering, and maybe audio too.

if they filmed using a digital camera, the film will soon look oudated, in the nest few years or so,by another camera with far much higher resolution. (RED ONE can record the largest so far)

anyway, audio is also remastered not just videos, so u can expect better audio quliaty say from VHS or dvd of the same film previously. lol nobody upconverts video and release in bluray, if a company did that itd fail badly, seeing now the standards ppl expect from such films.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

when music is recorded in the studio, there is the option to pan to the rear speakers in a true 5.1 surround format.
i owned a music creation software package that allows for fading in true surround.. but it wasnt encoded in dolby digital or dts.
instead, it was using the .wav file format with the extra surround channels.

usually music recorded in a studio isnt ment to be stereo, believe it or not, the audio is supposed to completely encapsulate the listener.
this doesnt mean left/right panning doesnt exist.. it is because it does exist and that stereo speakers are extremely common, producers use the panning as a toy for something extra.

the perfect listening room would have a studio recording sound as if it was all around you.. no matter if you looked up or down or left or right.
there would still be some left/right panning.. but in such a listening setup, it might not be the best thing.
its really childish to expect the person to be able to grasp the concept of 'nothing' or 'no where' when they spin or twist their head and it throws the left/right panning off.
it would lead to a specific degree of twisting (and stay there) to hear the intended master production.

there is absolutely no reason why the dance and techno tracks arent using the dedicated rear channels.
yes, i know it would be hard to put the quadrophonic sound file on a dvd without using one of the digital surround encoding formats.
if the .wav file format can support front and rear channels with uncompressed sound.. that doesnt mean you can simply pop it into a dvd player and output all four channels with a digital connection.

it has been said again and again that digital connections only support front left and right channels when the audio isnt encoded into dolby digital or dts.
really, that decision hurts the industry quite a bit.
music engineers have to pay the license fee to use the encoder.
and it has only been recently that the digital encoding formats allow for uncompressed audio.

i really believe dance/techno music would benefit a great deal if they start making those 1 hour mixes with front and rear channels.
it would be wise for the dance clubs to install front and rear channels into their sound hardware.
more support from music producers is needed, and there is no reason for them to not take advantage of the extra rear channels.
the dance music is already created like a symphony, and those 1 hour mixes are supposed to be respected like a symphony.
(not talking about the 1 hour mixes that have a bunch of 'remixes' thrown together.. i'm talking about dedicated unique albums)
the extra channels are seen as higher class, and the use of four individual channels could really bring business back to some dance clubs when people dont have four channel speaker setups at home.

it is a stupid move not to do it.
the same stupidity that we see at the local movie theaters.
new movies arent high definition, and the speakers arent audiophile quality either.
if both of these were introduced to the public, people who dont have high definition or audiophile speakers would want to watch movies at the theater.

people are willing to pay for things they dont have at home, especially when they dont intend on using it often.
go karts are a decent example.
some people dont care to buy a go kart and drive it every day.. and they also dont care to buy one because they might not have the room to drive it anywhere.
give them a race track and a go kart, they will pay to race other people.
it might be less popular as of right now, because there arent many places that 'provide' something for people who dont have it at home.
the only other instance i can think of, about getting something you dont have at home (or cant get at home, is the taste/recipe of fast food.
people rent vehicles when they dont want to use theirs.
they pay for a ride in a taxi.
and they even pay for trucks to move or haul things instead of buying a truck for their own vehicle.
we also have a place here in town that rents tools to people.
they have all kinds of tools, from the rarely used to the commercial quality.
and they also rent canoes for the local river, as people get together and canoe down the river for something to do.
people rent boats, limos, and jet skis instead of buying one themselves.

i can see how the industry expects everybody to buy a high definition television, since almost all of the television broadcasts are shown in high definition (and they all should be high definition eventually).
that means only senior citizens who are close to the end of their life span are the people who visit the movie theater for high definition?
NO.. of course not, as people are poor sometimes and they dont want to pay for broadcast television.
it is entrapment on the behalf of the industry towards the above people.
sure, a high definition televsision might be cheap or easily saved up for.. but the same cant be said about broadcast television.
the cable television industry has set their goals way too high, by expecting people to take advantage of television - internet - and telephone all in one to save a little bit of money on their monthly bill.
cell phones are the wise choice, because cable service isnt as reliable or rational as a portable phone that can go all over town.
cables fall in a storm, so do telephone lines.. but cell phone towers dont go anywhere.
it would be easiest for the government to send the military to guard the cell phone towards if the world (or the area) was in some kind of serious crysis.
they cant monitor all of the cable and telephone wires up on the utility poles.. there are wires on every block of the entire county.
to keep the area calm, they would need to keep the communication network available in such a crysis.

anyways.. it boils down to this:
places like itunes are guilty because they dont even offer the high quality (uncompressed) audio files.
they hand out garbage mp3 files - and people eat them up like they are age-defying water.

do video cameras record in surround sound.. no.
so why should youtube allow surround sound audio on their website?
it is a solid question, because video game recordings arent the number one video type uploaded.
but
since youtube is the dominant video website, they should consider giving us surround sound.
not only for video games, but commercials have surround sound, and movie previews have surround sound.
maybe youtube doesnt want to deal with all of the advertising for other people (or other companies).
and for that, they should consider some new aspects of video file hosting.
maybe incorporate a network that could allow all kinds of advertisements to be hosted.
i know this is difficult for the television industry, because each broadcaster usually hosts and plays their own commercials.
same thing with satellite television?
what about an internet user who uses the internet for their visual entertainment.
we watch movies online thanks to places like netflix and hulu.
and maybe some of these places would enjoy some of the networking infrastructure load to be taken off of them and load their commercials and advertisements on youtube's network.
if places like photobucket or any other picture hosting website can see that much use.. it isnt much different for videos on youtube.
and the flash ads and commercials have to be hosted somewhere.
if the network was designed to be faster for video than anything else.. there would then be an advantage, and youtube could make some money finally.

and i think it is a real shame to go without rear channel audio for music.
the only time music really breaks the mono format is when a live band setup is recorded.
you are supposed to feel as if you are in front of the stage with each individual noise coming from a certain part of the stage on the horizontal axis.. making good use of the front left and right speakers with the center channel.
nobody wants to hear the echoes of the room the band is in from the rear speakers.
but
i was going to make some bass albums tailoring to subwoofers, and i had every intention on using the rear speakers.
if i ever sit down to do some dance/techno type music, it will be in at least quadrophonic surround.

maybe i am the only one thinking 'lets go already' for surround sound with music.
but hey, i am also stupid enough to put four microphones on each corner of the video recorder (two in the front and two in the back) to capture quadrophonic sound while recording personal videos.
it isnt stupid, as anybody can appreciate a child being recorded outside on the ground playing.. while there is somebody mowing a lawn behind the person doing the video recording.
and maybe a noisy sprinkler coming from the neighbors house.
all of this picked up by the four microphones would be a joy to listen to with the video.

we are still doing things the dumb and hard way.
people use a broom and mop to clean the floor when they could be using a vacuum and floor scrubber that sucks up the dirty water instead of leaving some of it behind to evaporate into the air.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

well yeah.. because technically a movie recorded on film is supposed to have an unlimited amount of resolution.
the picture goes through the lens and straight to the film without any 'pixels' at all.
but, if you watch movies in the theater with film.. they certainly dont look high resolution.

audio remastering is pretty easy, as the sound is analyzed by software and anything with an echo gets 'cut and pasted' to the corresponding surround channel.
left and right is also straightforward because you only have to look at where the audio is on the screen to know if it goes on the left/right/center speaker.
thanks to analog recordings, there are no 'samples' to limit the quality.
you can use as many samples as needed to grab from the original analog recording.
but
maybe there was some 'sampling' done when the audio was transfered across the tape recorder head.
i dont know how they work.. but if they were recording like a speaker and not a digital code.. then samples are far from being the limit.

the film used can reduce the fidelity of the video.
and
the film used to record the audio could also reduce fidelity.
same is true for the lens and the tape recorder head.

i dont think it is very common to take a picture of something on a table.. then print out the picture and remove the thing on the table and put the picture in its place.. with a result realistic enough to make the person try to grab the thing off of the table and realize there isnt anything there.
probably a safety precaution for theifs who take a picture and replace the item with the picture to get a good long getaway before the person realizes the item has been stolen.
if you wanted to do something like that nowadays, you would have to do it with a 3d modeling program and print out the rendering.
the availability is there, but it takes a lot of skill and practice.. and the programs that look realistic are expensive.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

i apologize for my other reply to you.. i sat down to right it and got up away from the computer for like two hours and came back to finish it.
once i pressed the submit button, i seen you had replied already.

anyways.. i think 'default' players like windows media player arent very high quality for the specific reason to allow the person to hunt down an offering made by somebody else.
the program gets more support and attention, and it also allows for microsoft to 'play' or 'share' with other software developers.
once you realize what you have isnt very good, it opens up a door to learn what was wrong in the first place.
that allows the person to 'shop' for the perfect upgrade.
some players are free, and some you have to pay for.. but it is all about being involved and microsoft not being a hog by doing every single thing perfect.
if microsoft did it all in terms of multi media.. then there would be a lot of software with no real use or importance.
as it is now, there are lots of dvd player software available.
things like powerdvd from cyberlink for example.

another example would be recording to cd or dvd or bluray discs.
nero was once the king of recording software, roxio was also a solid alternative (and maybe some people found roxio to be better than nero)
the point is, microsoft didnt take all of the time and care to give us burning ability that was super easy and friendly to use.
again, there would be a lot of software developers who built programs that would have no real use or importance.
i like that we can shop for something better.. we can find an alternative that does the same thing, but makes the process easier or more fun.

i think the cost of the operating system would also go up quite a bit if all of these 'solutions' were already installed with the operating system.
if microsofts main focus was to build an operating system that works, and then keep the operating system safe.. i am hoping they arent wasting time trying to build other programs on the side when they could be spending that time tackling safety from hackers and viruses.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

also,
it starts with the quality of the microphone.
then the quality of the analog to digital conversion (could be a chip if recorded digitally)
microphone placement while recording also has a big role in the final output.
say if the microphone was too far away, then the audio mastering would need to remove some of the distance between microphone and vocals.
zooming in like that is generally an adjustment.. even if some of the distance is only trimmed off.
if they would learn to record it right and not have to touch it, then the audio would be much better i believe.
that means if you want 5.1 surround sound, you need at least 5 microphones.
they market these surround sound formats as being discrete individual channels.. and that means individual microphones are needed.
i'm thinking the results would always prove to be an upgrade.. even if recording at only 48khz 16bit

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

i believe the images are scanned to 2k and some 4k like district 9, they are higher resolution then TVs, u get a 1080p video and blow it up to the size of a cinema display, that my friend is UN-watchaaaaaaaable. :)

"the film used can reduce the fidelity of the video."
yes this is partly true but it is very unlikely, that they will use a 'crap' film, plus even if there were some minor errors in teh film, it may just be negligible to us at this stage.

the biggest factor that affects the clarity of the image at the end, would be the scanner of the film. scanned at 2k to 4k by standard, some films maybe higher.

the thing withj 3 d modelling is that they just wont come close to teh real thing in the end, even if the picture was an INIFINITE reoslution, cos the image is flat. the light is ALL coming off a plane, our eyes would easily notice ( if u have a gd depth of perception) that the image is flat, your eyes focus would capture the whole thing.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

usually surround effect in a film, are all digitally added, and werent recorded during the actual acting of the film by the mic. say u are recording the vocals, that is recorded using teh external mic and tied to the video using SMTPE code, the codes then help to snc the audio with the movie. the audio then may be edited and panned, unlikly usually in "live action" films.

for extra channels, its always usually many MONO recordings taht are then panned to the appropriate places, i have never heard of using more then 1 or 2 mics b4, unless ur doing music recording for drums or acousitc recording of a guitar and a singer.

some types they even use clip on mics, this really makes it easy for the audio enginners to pan out audio for different actors (e.g. one actor on "hard-left" of the screen another in "hard-right" of the screen., one film they did this is harry potter series.

"individual channels.. and that means individual microphones are needed."
like i said above -this is usually never the case. :)

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

individual microphones sound just as good as the industrial black and white 3d.
but
holding the microphones away very much really degrades the audio quality of the vocals when the bitrate is low.
the vocals are grainy because the information comes secondary to the sound of the distance, the bit depth is limited obviously.. that is why there are higher bit depths.

i've heard quite a few 'room echoes' that just dont cut it.
the distance and the vocals need to be recorded seperately and brought together.

a microphone far away with a clip on mic can be used to record identical vocals.. then the clip on mic is played back with the audio track that was recorded from the far away mic.
lowering the clip on mic to reduce the volume.. but keeping the information to keep the data explicit.

standard recordings are quite simple.. if you can hear the distance between the microphone and the person talking, then the voice is low.
if you turn up the volume, the sound of the distance will also be raised.
the only way to 'produce' a correction in the studio is to manipulate and restore the audio track.
touching it really isnt wanted.
and manipulation and restoration on a spectral level is putting money in peoples pockets, as the sequence of work is more than necessary and requires an advanced know-how.
simple, short, and straightforward will prove to be better.

but sad to say, the microphone far away probably wont sound identical to the clip on mic.
you cant use two mics that have different timbres.
if they are close, it helps become closer to the endpoint of 'solution'
but
the microphones have to be seriously accurate and dynamic and sensitive to finalize perfection.

i really havent seen much of the 3d television.
tried some 3d glasses with the video game 'black ops' at it's midnight release and wasnt seeing any depth at all (some blurryness maybe)
but
i have sat through an entire industrial quality black and white 3d movie at universal studios florida (was a alfred hitchcock film 'psycho')
the stage looked as if there were props built.. even the rain looked real.
they gave us a sense of wet water and rain, and they made sure the effect came late.
i still wonder if the set was using film-based projectors or digital projectors and gas.
i took my glasses off and it appeared as if they were using the digital projectors with generic gas (generic because you could see the directivity lines)
the gaps looked big, assuming the set was recorded using the bare minimum required.
see, this movie had enough 3d to jump out of the screen 50 yards or more.
but
the stage also had the ability to go deep too.
it was the depth that was illuminating.. as the 3d coming out of the screen was as expected.
there were bats flying out of the screen and smacking me in the face.. and i also think there was another thing that popped out of the screen and make me lean back (i dont remember if it was a persons head or an object, forgot).

i would take my chances with some clip on mics of premium quality to prove my point.
or tape some standard 1 inch microphones to the persons chest with a damper to keep the chest sounds from leaking into the microphones.
but, if you are driving around in an area.. you could simply put a microphone near the engine and the exhaust to grab those up close... then setup the quadrophonic mics in the area.
it wouldnt be 5.1 surround, since there is no need for a center channel.
but
as the vehicle moves from left to right or front to back, you gotta remember that the audio has to be cut and pasted from the up close microphones and panned.

you might be able to cheat and simply leave the up close mics playing really low in all four speakers to keep the data playing from the speaker.. but if you drive close to one of the microphones, the up close mics will need to have the volume raised to prevent from being drown out.
this is the wrong way to do it because you will over-write the distance information.

some spectral mastering would continue to be of good use.
you want to match the sound identically and trim only the peak sound while letting the 'reflections' be played from the far away microphones.

it's just like an impulse response of your room for digital room correction.
the impulse will show a peak of the actual soundwave, then the reflections from the walls will come next at a lower amplitude.
just gotta zoom in and cut out only the peak.
the only problem of being hard with this process is to get the up close microphones actually close enough to be blunt.
you dont need 4ft of distance being added.. meaning the mic needs to sit on top of the engine to grab the sound from each side.
that might be easy, but recording the exhaust could prove to be very difficult.
cant put the mic directly because the wind will get in the way.
you could probably go an inch forward and keep the tip of the mic away from any of the air being released.. a couple inches is nothing compared to a couple feet.

this experiment would prove to be higher quality than any of the dolby digital or dts offerings (unless there is a movie doing the same thing)
uncompressed means no bitrate limitations.
adding the up close mic to the far away mic will inevitably increase the bitrate as extra information is transfered.
if the up close mic is too loud, perhaps too many of the details would be recorded and those noises couldnt possibly be heard from the distance of the far away microphone.
those noises would need to be removed.
meaning no sounds when pressing the clutch or any sound of the brakes touching the disks.
no listening to the transmission changing gears.
really simple when you have the far away microphone to compare to.
when that information isnt visible to the far away microphone.. it must be removed from the up close recording.
doing this automated might prove to erase the entire recording of the up close mic.
as the automation might be programmed to remove anything that isnt in the recording.. you want some of the gaps filled when the noise represents the same thing.
not when the soundwave is the exact same thing.

anyways.. this is only temporary until the microphones are worth handcuffing them to your wrist in a briefcase.
the whole point is to remove some of the muffled sound from the far away microphone recording because the microphone is junk.
you wouldnt want these microphones providing evidence for you from a security feed when you are 30ft away from them.. as the sound wont be clear enough to catch all of the verbal tone and slurred words.
mumbling words would be a nightmare needing reconstruction that might not prove to be accurate.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
no but the thing is i never ever seen films use more up to 5 mics, just to have a 5.1 channel sound. its always one mic, and panned, then another mic, panned, and so on.

"holding the microphones away very much really degrades the audio quality of the vocals when the bitrate is low."

of course it would degrade the sound quality, of the recording subject, but they dont hold it very far away, its quite close infact.

i skimmed over what you said..

i agree that the mp3 files you get from itunes, amazon aren't of the utmost quality. however, higher quality files are often much larger in terms of size. i don't know about you buy i'd sacrifice a little bit of quality in order to carry around more than a few albumns.

until we see larger capacity portable audio players i know that i'm not going to even bother. that said, it would be nice if they had a service where you could in fact purchase the higher quality tracks.

as for recording tracks with multiple mics to get a surround sound recording: the most ideal listening point is not always where the sound originates. i could see some interesting combinations with surround sound in use but overall i prefer having my rear speakers repeat the fronts to give more ambient sound instead of subtle variation.

----

personally i use the windows 7 version of windows media player for playing dvds (when i'm not playing them on the ps3) because of its convenience. i get surround sound, highdef, the only thing i lack is any upconversions (for normal dvd) and playback controls. it works well enough to not warrant buying software (although i know i have a copy of pdvd around).

---

i realize that the source files when movies are recorded are higher quality than what we get in a finished product. however, that does not mean that the sound/visuals on an older movie remastered for blueray will equal that of a new release. sure the older movies sound and look better than they used to but it just is not the same. recording instrumentation has gotten better, effect techniques have improved, etcetera.