New Home, Found speakers on the wall, no Idea how they work :(

first: how many speakers?
second: how many wall plugs like the ones in the photos?
third: are the speakers plugged into those jacks or is nothing plugged in?
fourth: is there an area with either lots of speaker wire coming out or a whole bunch of said connection plugs coming out of the wall?

my guess would be that the jacks on the wall were once used for some non-built-in speakers and that the ones you found in the wall were part of a setup but not removed when they moved out but the rest of the speakers were taken with them. likely you'll find the central point somewhere where the ends of the speaker leads for those two terminate and the rest of the jacks terminate as well. you will likely need to provide your own amplifier.

based on what i see, it looks like someone's homebuilt wall speakers to me - either taken from existing speakers or a miscellany assortment of parts. hard to say which but i've never seen anything commercially purchased look that crude. no idea how it sounds or how good the drivers are - you'll have to listen to find out.

dada2

Estimable
Aug 21, 2015
Thanks for the rely
1. there are 2 speakers
2. there are 2 plugs, one on the first floor and 1 in the basement
3. the speakers are incased in the wall, cant see any wires
4. didnt find too much wire :(

A pro would use a "toner" that would put a signal into each pair of terminals to find which are connected to the speakers but you can use a AA battery and connect the minus to a black terminal. When you tap the plus of the battery to the matching red terminal the woofer in the speaker will move out if it is connected to that pair of terminals. Do this with each pair of terminals on both floors. The ones that work are connected to the speakers. Label them for left and right.
The plate with the push terminals will require some scrap wire to make the battery connection. One terminal plate is oriented vertically, the other horizontally so make sure you follow that.
Hope the plates were wired correctly.

dada2

Estimable
Aug 21, 2015
Hi There,
I tried your method with the batteries. The push buttons cause the speakers to make some sounds. However, the round buttons have no effect. Do I need to buy an amplifier to get them working?

Thanks so Much :D