New laptop battery "unknown remaining"

Solution

Well, you came here for the brutal truth. You got sucked in by third party battery claim.

Third party vendors often inflate their battery capacity claims, they throw you terms like 10 cells blah-blah and you fall for it.

Third party vendors have not found a miracle battery technology, a special formulation, and able to sell you at a discount... if they did, the laptop makers would had offered you that battery technology, because they are always fighting for your business to buy their laptops. The ONLY superior battery technology is ION Polymer, which can be shaped into anything, not just round cells like what the third parties are selling you.

Short answer: You cannot get longer run...

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Yep brand new rebuilt versus from the manufacturer of the laptop. Interesting tidbit on that amazon page - on user reviews even though others from the same mfg. are good reviews. Suggest you contact them for a replacement explaining the "no charge" indication. I bet an OEM battery would cost twice as much if not more.

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Well if it holds a charge and you can live without knowing the level then keep it. I assume the old battery would indicate a charge level, if not the laptop circuitry that monitors the battery is busted.

SgtScream

Estimable
Dec 8, 2016

1. Unplug the ac adapter from the laptop.
2. Take the battery out of the laptop.
3. Hold down the power button for 5 second.
4. Put the battery back into the laptop.
Does this fix the issue?

MasterBlack

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Nope.

SgtScream

Estimable
Dec 8, 2016

I'd say that's your best bet. Out of curiosity, what was the original issue that made you go out and purchase a replacement battery. Was the original one doing the same thing?

Well, you came here for the brutal truth. You got sucked in by third party battery claim.

Third party vendors often inflate their battery capacity claims, they throw you terms like 10 cells blah-blah and you fall for it.

Third party vendors have not found a miracle battery technology, a special formulation, and able to sell you at a discount... if they did, the laptop makers would had offered you that battery technology, because they are always fighting for your business to buy their laptops. The ONLY superior battery technology is ION Polymer, which can be shaped into anything, not just round cells like what the third parties are selling you.

Short answer: You cannot get longer run time by buying the same size battery. For longer run time you have to rely on an external battery. If the battery is worn, you are right to replace the batt, and only buying directly from ACER, or whoever your laptop vendor can you assure the full original battery capacity claim.

If you must buy third party, the only other party I would research is what ifixit.com recommends.

Solution