New laptop: dell 1705

dbox

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
I need to spend some education money from work before july 1st and am looking at laptops.

Anything good or bad on dell laptops or this laptop in particular.
reliability:
suggestions: (i was think c2d 7200, 2 gb ram, 7900 gs video)
lcd: default ( XGA+ TFT Display with TrueLife™(glossy) or
the UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™ (150 extra ouch)
bluetooth: built in any good?

thx for your time and input.

---dbox

What do you want to use it for? If you could get something else, what is your price limit?

Nothing bad about Dell laptops, just you have to deal with the sometimes shaky support. If you want to play games, the T7200 and 7900GS are a must for that system. Personally, I would go with the WUXGA screen. My bro has it on his Inspiron 9300 and it is beautiful.

dbox

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
mostly just general computing with some light gaming. We like playing a few fps games but not Oblivion or the real video taxing stuff. I've got a pretty powerful desktop for that kind of thing.

Just need to spend the money and I'm gonna pay for everything over that. No real budget.

You sound like you might suggest something else?

So moderate gaming, something for vacation.

I value reliability a lot (I looked at Toshiba but Dell seemed like more for your money... I'm not a apple guy, that whole learning another OS thing).

thx for your reply

Yeah, I would recommend the Executioner from killernotebooks.com. It has power to spare for what you want to do and the company has good support. It is a bit more expensive then the e1705, but its a better notebook.

Even then, I'm not sure I would order one of the new ones. The 8600GT doesn't perform as well as the 7900GS (at least in 3dmarks), so what real incentive is there? Don't say DX10 cuz there is no telling how the 8600 will handle it anyway. I think I would only go for it if they were cheaper than the current ones.