New Laptop - Essential programs

L Mel

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
I just turned on my new gaming laptop for the first time.

I ran Windows Update and installed whatever was recommended. I deleted bloatware with PC Decrapifier and CC Cleaner. I'm now in the process of updating my drivers with SlimDrivers.

These programs were extremely helpful. I'm wondering if there are others that you would recommend to keep my laptop updated, free of useless stuff, protected, etc. Anything that would be helpful.

Thanks.

Solution
I use Avast! Free anti-virus. I also use Malwarebyte's Ant-Malware as supplement; it's not an anti-virus program.

I also use Defraggler to defrag the hard drive.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Secunia PSI 3.0. It monitors your entire computer for software updates, and notifies you if you have any software that is outdated and that there are software updates available. It actually updates most of the software itself, but for those that it cannot, it will notify you that you need to do so.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Here is their explanation:

The Secunia PSI explained
The Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a free computer security solution that identifies vulnerabilities in non-Microsoft (third-party) programs which can leave your PC open to attacks.

Simply put, it scans software on your system and identifies programs in need of security updates to safeguard your PC against cybercriminals. It then supplies your computer with the necessary software security updates to keep it safe. The Secunia PSI even automates the updates for your insecure programs, making it a lot easier for you to maintain a secure PC.

Using a scanner like Secunia PSI 3.0 is complementary to antivirus software, and as a free computer security program, is essential for every home computer.

L Mel

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013

Good call - I wasn't aware that Malewarebyte's isn't an anti-virus. Thanks for the replies everyone.