Solved! New Laptop for College

Jan 27, 2019
Hello! I am looking to buy a laptop for college next year. I currently own a pretty good Asus (i7, 16 GB ram, 512 GB SSD , 950m GPU ) but plan on selling it because 1) it is super heavy for a notebook 2) I'm looking to find a smaller screen (less than 14") and 3) the GTX 950m is pretty mediocre gaming wise. So my question is: is there any good 14" or smaller "gaming" laptops out to there? As far as I know, there are no laptops that size with a GTX 1050 or better so I'll probably get one with a mx150. I'm not looking to do and hardcore gaming, just some fallout 4 and rainbow six.

Solution
You'll most likely have to stick with at least 14"+ for a system with decent gaming hardware and sufficient cooling. Something with a 1060 or 1070 Max-Q might work for you, if the suggested 1050ti isn't up to what you want performance-wise.

Consider Asus (Zephyrus), MSI (GS Stealth), or Razer (Blade).

15.6" doesn't feel excessive to me, but I'm not a student on the go with the laptop all the time. That's more a personal preference.

geofelt

Distinguished
Look at the Lenovo thinkpad X1 extreme.
It is a compact 15" laptop that weighs only 4 pounds and includes a GTX1050ti graphics chip.

I think you will find that gaming laptops with discrete graphics will more likely be 15" and larger.

You'll most likely have to stick with at least 14"+ for a system with decent gaming hardware and sufficient cooling. Something with a 1060 or 1070 Max-Q might work for you, if the suggested 1050ti isn't up to what you want performance-wise.

Consider Asus (Zephyrus), MSI (GS Stealth), or Razer (Blade).

15.6" doesn't feel excessive to me, but I'm not a student on the go with the laptop all the time. That's more a personal preference.

Solution