byoung12345678910

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
1. What is your budget? : $1500-$2100
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? : 13 inch notebook would be preferable but 15 inch is cool. 11 inch is minimum and 17 inch is maximum.
3. What screen resolution do you want?: IDK recommend for me - not minimum but nothing fancy iI guess
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?: First ever laptop so I guess not.
5. How much battery life do you need?: At least 7-8 hours, 9-10 more preferable.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?: Medium on my part. As long as I won't puke from looking at it it's all good.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.): Uhhh, after reading this you probably get the general idea that I won't be doing too much of anything like that.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?: 258gb-512gb ssd would be preferable. Not for intensive purposes but more for volume.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.: I'm thinking Dell, Ebay, Amazon, Windows and Apple. Just standard places.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?: 4-5 years I suppose.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?: DVD ROM I think?
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.: Generally I dislike Apple for it's OS, feel, look and Safari. Windows is more comfortable. Not looking for anything outside the "mainstream" cuz I'm hipster. Just whatever you recommend I'll think about getting.
13. What country do you live in?: Canada eh?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.: A top three list of laptops you recommend would be useful. Even more would be appreciated for the variety/choice. As well to let yourself into my POV I had no idea most laptops were to be considered "notebook". Oops. Thanks.

Solution
If you are looking for a laptop with at least 7 hours battery life, then do not bother with any laptop that has a dedicated graphics chip because I have not come across any which can last that long even in less demanding battery tests.

In the 9 - 10 hour battery life range you are generally looking at the ThinkPad T450s, Dell XPS 13 (1080p non touchscreen) and a MacBook Air.

However, you need to purchase the extended 68+ 6 cell for the ThinkPad T450s which can increase battery life up to about 15.5 hours. The standard 3 cell battery will give the T450s about 7.5 of battery life. Note that all ThinkPad T series has an internal 3 cell battery which allows you to hot swap the external battery while the laptop is still on. The external...

byoung12345678910

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015

Would you be able to mention any specific brands for me as you can see my ineptitude for technology knows almost no bounds. As well I heard the XPS 13 might be a good choice but again, even the twelve year olds on this site know more than me so just mentioning something specific I heard. Thanks for the point in a direction.

I would recommend a Lenovo t series as they have a good keyboard, great trackpad and point (that is the red button in the middle) and is very reliable and robust. You could look at the acer v nitro series if you want a cheap and light gaming laptop. obviously the more power in the laptop the less the battery life.

Or look at the asus rog gl series or msi ge series. But these tend to be flashy and are designed for gamers.

If you are looking for a laptop with at least 7 hours battery life, then do not bother with any laptop that has a dedicated graphics chip because I have not come across any which can last that long even in less demanding battery tests.

In the 9 - 10 hour battery life range you are generally looking at the ThinkPad T450s, Dell XPS 13 (1080p non touchscreen) and a MacBook Air.

However, you need to purchase the extended 68+ 6 cell for the ThinkPad T450s which can increase battery life up to about 15.5 hours. The standard 3 cell battery will give the T450s about 7.5 of battery life. Note that all ThinkPad T series has an internal 3 cell battery which allows you to hot swap the external battery while the laptop is still on. The external battery is drained first, then the internal battery. It is possible to replace the internal battery.

Both the ThinkPad T450s and Dell XPS 13 have CPUs with the Intel HD 5500 graphics core. The MacBook Air's CPU has the more powerful Intel HD 6000 graphics core which is a bit less powerful than a nVidia 820m.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t450s

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-xps-13-non-touch-2015

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/apple-macbook-air-13-early-2015

Solution