New laptop, need some help

ignite101

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Hello, I am new to the forums, but have read review from Toms for many months now. I would like to call upon all of your guys' wise judgement to help me decide which laptop to purchase for school/gaming. I am going would like to purchase the laptop from IbuyPower.com (unless any of you have some better suggestions). I am a capable PC person, but I know little to nothing when it comes to laptops. I have decided on a few things such as: A) Windows XP/Vista (depending on release date of vista) and B) 2048MB of ram.

Things I have up for debate:

Graphics- X1600 or 7600GT (both 256MB)

CPU- Turion or Core Duo (I REALLY need some help here)

Anything else you guys beleive is an important part of a notebook, please feel free in inform me. I'm pretty sure I want a 15.4" screen because 17" widescreen is too big for me to lug around to class.

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help.

ignite101

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Well I would really love to get something under $1500 (Reason being, my parents are paying for it as a grad gift and I dont want to stretch their wallet any more than I have to)

ignite101

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Eh, unless you can give me like 50% off that core2 system I dont think you can help me. And I dont feel confortable buying off a site Ive never heard of.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I didn't see you were looking for a C2D system. I didn't read it right at that late hour. They aren't even released yet anywhere else, so yea... one under $1,500 is going to be pretty hard to find.

He brings up a good point not buying off a site you have never heard about before though. Has anyone on hear ever even heard of Killer Notebooks? I haven't. Dude, I'm getting a DELL!

ignite101

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Im not getting a Dell, but you dont seem to have comparable prices to Ibuypower. There I can get a Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2GB ddr667, 15.4", x1600 for 1500, whereas on Killer, that setup is $1958 I understand that Killernotebooks are "Gaming Notebooks" but I got to go with the prices.

But I need a final answer, what is better... Core Duo or AMD Turion ?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yea, I don't compare to IBuyPower price-wise I don't think. I don't kno what they offer, but I will take your word for it. Then again if you have a problem, a dead pixel, or need tech support... I still don't compare to IBuyPower.... but on the other end of the spectrum That I know.

Core Duo. You can go to my site and under configuration you can read about the core duo CPU and its strengths and improvements.

The Turion is a good chip, and 64 bit, probably more chip than most people need. I realy like it, but the core duo edges it out.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Turion versus Core Duo, thats the kicker isn't it. The turion will be better for gaming because its a single core and all that. The core duo will be better for multitasking and for just running multiple general programs at the same time.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I concure, and it isn't just like the thing can't multi-task. You need quite a few apps churning to bring a Turion to it's knees.

Core Duo is a 'little bit' of marketing in that there are not a whole lot of SINGLE programs that can even take advantage fo a dual core. I know Photoshop is one... other than that it is running multiple apps.

I have a 4400+ X2 desktop 4 Gigs RA and it isn't like it is running 2 programs and I try to open Photoshop and it opens any faster than the next computer, that is the hard drive (and it is a RADI0 (2) x 36 Gb 10k rpm Raptor set up). You are going to notice it once it is open, and you are working with all of it.

It sortof gets to the point your brains can't even work up to the level of all the stuff going on simply due to the time it takes to switch back and forth and process what is going on and what needs to be done next. If you are rendering and doing other LONG tasks per app, thats when the CD will shine. That is a very small percentage of the populace.

ignite101

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
So....in conclusion? Your saying the Turion is the way to go? Im back to square 1 again :)

Also, the windows vista beta, can I install that on a laptop? Than when the official comes out, I can just buy that without having to buy 2 OS and reformat? And, do the Killer Notebooks not come with XP?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
With Windows Vista Beta, I would install XP Home or Pro (preferably Pro) then install Vista as a dual boot from within Windows.

had a friend do it with MCE of all things and it works fine.

As far as what comes with my n/b I have to PM you that as I can't directly just talk about my stuff on here.

Brock

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2004
I agree with that too.
If gaming is the primary concern then Turion otherwise Core Duo.

The only 17" notebook that I've found with a Turion and at least a 7900 GS is the Alienware Aurora m9700.

edit: nevermind, he wants a 15.4" laptop.

does anyone have any suggestions for me? 17", Turion, 7900 GS. That's what I want, and I'd rather not buy an Alienware, but that looks like my only option.