New laptop not running games nearly as well as it should.

tomw708

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Recently purchased a new laptop. It's an MSI CX61 2QF with specs:
gtx 940m
i5-4210 cpu @ 2.4ghz dual core
8gb RAM
1TB HDD
Windows 10 Home 64bit
15.6" screen with native 1920x1080

Well, this laptop isn't running games nearly as well as it should. For example in Rocket League I can only just about get playable FPS on the lowest settings possible. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to ensure my laptop is working to its full potential?

Solution
The answer above is probably the solution. Under Nvidia control panel you have to make sure that the games you are wanting to play is using your Nvidia card. When I got my laptop it was trying to use the Integrated graphics with the Intel processor. If you don't set it up in Nvidia Control panel to use your GTX then it is probably using the intel graphics.

Here is a link on how to do it: https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202305784-Changing-graphics-card-settings-to-use-your-dedicated-GPU-on-a-Windows-computer-

sydneyblue203

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
Did to make sure that windows power management is set to high performance also I like to set gpu power management to high performance also. If all these things are right than try lowering the resolution

tomw708

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I've done all of these and am still not getting anywhere near the same performance as people with laptops of similar/the same specs. Really have no idea what the problem with mine is.

SoulTechNameI

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014

Do you have your graphics card set as the one the game uses, as opposed to the integrated graphics?

MoyoCho

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015
The answer above is probably the solution. Under Nvidia control panel you have to make sure that the games you are wanting to play is using your Nvidia card. When I got my laptop it was trying to use the Integrated graphics with the Intel processor. If you don't set it up in Nvidia Control panel to use your GTX then it is probably using the intel graphics.

Here is a link on how to do it: https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202305784-Changing-graphics-card-settings-to-use-your-dedicated-GPU-on-a-Windows-computer-

Solution