New Laptop Temps Are Extremely High

TheSpaceBetween

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hello all

I have a gigabyte p34wv3 (gtx 970m and I7 -4270hq). I've had it for a month but have just now started to game and record temperatures. Honestly, I know a lot of people will gawk that I'm using a laptop to game but I'm constantly on the road and a desktop is not feasible for the moment. Anyways, when I'm gaming (Planetside 2 and Civ 5 mostly), the cpu temperatures are getting around 97 degrees Celsius and holding there constantly. I haven't made ANY modifications to this computer and I have the fans turned up as high as they can go. I know that laptops are made to handle more heat but this is crazy. Even while just web browsing temperatures are approaching 80 Celsius. Should I be concerned? Also, how if I shouldn't be concerned, what can I do to reduce thermal throttling?

Thanks!

Solution
Apparently a lot of guys are running that laptop in the 90's, but yes it will wear on the CPU. I would not say over 80 is to hot but once you get around 90 its definitely wearing.

Unfortunately it seems to be a function of that type of gaming laptop, not just Gigabyte, but the processor. Some other brands may have better cooling solutions that keep it closer to 90.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
What is making you think that these temps are high?
That really isn't that hot. Usually we measure PC's by degrees C, and usually only consider them high at around 70+.
You're at like, 36....

Temps aren't hot. If it is causing you discomfort just invest in laptop cooling pad. They are very cheap and do the job fine.

TheSpaceBetween

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Sorry for the confusion but my temps are 97 degrees Celsius.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

No they aren't, that's hot enough to boil water, melt plastic, and cause 3rd degree burns on contact. Your diode is most likely inaccurate. I'm very confident that a working laptop is not running at 97c. Where are you getting these temps?

TheSpaceBetween

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Realtemp - the application. All of my cores are usually above 95 according to it.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Um, you're quite wrong, 97degC is just about overheating temperature for most CPU's, but more than possible.

TheSpaceBetween

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Nope, just a regular wooden desk.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

That processor is known for running in the mid 90's under gaming load. The only thing that may help is a cooling pad. This is the main problem with Gaming laptops.

See this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2567179/4720hq-prime95-hot.html

You're going to need to be diligent about cleaning the heatsink with compressed air, and maybe once a year putting some new thermal paste on. You can also downclock it a bit

TheSpaceBetween

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

So essentially gigabyte is selling a "gaming laptop" that when actually gaming is getting so hot it's damaging the CPU? The thread said anything over 80 degrees was too hot, I just hit 98 degrees last night, doesn't seem like the CPU is built for this. Should I consider just returning the laptop?

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Apparently a lot of guys are running that laptop in the 90's, but yes it will wear on the CPU. I would not say over 80 is to hot but once you get around 90 its definitely wearing.

Unfortunately it seems to be a function of that type of gaming laptop, not just Gigabyte, but the processor. Some other brands may have better cooling solutions that keep it closer to 90.

Solution

John Chapman

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Got a cat? Cat hair is extremely fine and gets sucked into the laptop by the cooling fan. It lodges in the cooling fins and can't be removed by vacuuming. Eventually it will cause overheating. The only solution is to completely dismantle the laptop to remove it - not an easy process and beyond the average user.

Of course laptop manufacturers could fix this with a removable filter but persistent overheating shortens the lifetime of laptops making replacement more frequent.

No cat? Try frequent vacuuming the vents. Switch the laptop off though, because this can stop the fan running or even make it run backwards.