New laptop , the battery starting to lose charge faster ... please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddsmarwan

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hello there , i bought a new Asus vivobook s551 about 2 weeks ago , i used to get about 4-6 hours of batter life on a single charge on the power saving mode while web browsing/facebook . about two days ago , i started getting a " your current brightness settings might reduce battery life" message even though the brightness is set to less than 50% and the battery just went from 100 to 86 % in about half an hour . idk why it's losing its charge so fast or why I'm getting this message . any help would be appreciated

Solution
Here's a good place to start:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-is-the-Average-Life-Expectancy-of-Standard-Laptop-Batteries-/10000000177629697/g.html

2 weeks old seems a bit soon for battery issues.
When your utilizing the battery, check the power options (Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options). Ideally, you'll want to be using a power saving option to extend battery life.
Setting to optimize performance while on battery will drastically shorten run time.

If that doesn't help, you may want to contact Asus.

ratedk

Distinguished
Here's a good place to start:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-is-the-Average-Life-Expectancy-of-Standard-Laptop-Batteries-/10000000177629697/g.html

2 weeks old seems a bit soon for battery issues.
When your utilizing the battery, check the power options (Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options). Ideally, you'll want to be using a power saving option to extend battery life.
Setting to optimize performance while on battery will drastically shorten run time.

If that doesn't help, you may want to contact Asus.

Solution

Ddsmarwan

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Thanks for the reply , but i already tried changing the plan , it's always set to power saving on battery anyway . something else i noticed , in the task manager , it shows about 48% of the memory is in use , all i have open is skype and a couple of chome tabs , it never got that high before .. I'm really confused .

ratedk

Distinguished
That could be a number of things. If it is constantly using close to 50% of RAM check for unwanted programs that may have been installed.

Look for 'Skype Click to Call' and remove it. (It should show under Programs & Features, and/or a browser extension). Skype bundles it with their installer. It is fairly useless and poorly written.

Most manufactures, more often than not, install so much bloatware that it bogs down the poor machine before the user can do it themselves.

Check task manager for other running programs, it will show a breakdown of what program is using what resources. Google the ones you don't know or recognize so you can make an educated decision on what should/shouldn't be running.

Status
Not open for further replies.