New Laser Can Accelerate HDD Read, Write

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Wow, this would be pretty odd if it came to fruition in the next decade.

I mean, we're currently moving to SSD's, and in a few years, I'm sure they'll be mainstream. But then, with these new lasers, you'd bring back HDD's for better performance, a few years later.

Jeez.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]I don't think current bus speeds will keep up with this, but maybe in a few years.[/citation]
Current Bus speeds can't keep up with current drive setups, and SATA 6 Gbit can be maxed out with a RAID setup.

This is something that won't be around for quite a few years anyway, so of course current bus speeds would choke.

G

As usual, a intentionally misleading headline.

Nothing is being accelerated. This would be a different type of HDD.

G

The laser will be faster...
But what about the moving parts, the rotating platans? These mechanical parts will still slow down the entire system.

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
@Tindytim: This might have passed by me but you must have seen a RAID setup running on only one SATA cable. I'm pretty surprised when seeing your comment.

zetone

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
The article states "boosts data access" which translates to seek (access) times (random & sequential), NOT data throughput (Mbps).

G

Anyone know why that femtosecond laser 'retrieves' data in bursts? It's because the laser needs a LOT of juice. It's called femtosecond for that reason, it can only be sustained for that long. Of course it can recharge and fire again, but that takes some time. Let me put it in prospective. Last time I checked (maybe a year ago at most) it took a femtosecond laser 30 minutes to cover the area of one side of a dime. I know that with spintronics we can achieve unprecedented data densities, but the power required will be an issue.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Article summary: Just take a bunch of hard disk terminology intermixed with physics terms, 'femto' and laser. Stir it up and attach the words to approximate English grammar.

"...alter the electronic spin of a hard drive." It would take paragraphs to describe the number of scientific errors in this phrase.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Gotta' love that 2 dimensional laser too: "12-inches by four-inches in size" Does it produce a 2 dimensional beam?

This is truly one of the worst written articles to appear on this site in a long time. There are more factual/usage errors than the number of sentences.

LOL

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Femtosecond laser's are what perform Lasik surgery, just had it done a year ago, very cool tech. Course the first thing I asked the doc when I saw the machine was "That doesn't run windows does it?"

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Gotta' love that 2 dimensional laser too: "12-inches by four-inches in size" Does it produce a 2 dimensional beam?This is truly one of the worst written articles to appear on this site in a long time. There are more factual/usage errors than the number of sentences.LOL[/citation]

it's kevin parrish... guess you're not familiar with his writing style... the headline/first line thing is getting very annoying. it's almost as if he's so uncreative as to not be able to come up with a headline that isn't a copy/paste of the first line of his article... maybe it's just his shortcuts and scripts that help him come up with these 'articles' based on a few keywords that's doing it... i've seen it in call centers so why not here?

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This is exactly why drilling holes in a disk does not destroy all the data; only the data that existed where the holes are. Lasers can read all remaining data even if you couldn't float heads over the drilled disks.

A less ambitious laser tech should be used for the retrieval of info on crashed disks for the business sector.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Current Bus speeds can't keep up with current drive setups, and SATA 6 Gbit can be maxed out with a RAID setup.This is something that won't be around for quite a few years anyway, so of course current bus speeds would choke.[/citation]
Yes, I know. That is why I said that, but thanks anyway. Although you and I may see this as a "no kidding” point, it still needs to be said because I do see people all the time running out to get gigabit routers for a home network of only one computer and one iPod. They do not understand they can go no faster than the ISP allows. The only real benefit of that gigabit router is for file sharing on a home network, but people don't get that. Now as for the, "This is something that won't be around for quite a few years anyway" this article said in the next decade and although the past ten years has seen some good bus speed increases, it has not been anywhere near the rate of increase to match this technology in 10 years.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]When the French announced this... were they snobby about it?[/citation]
Too funny, I'm sure they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS