New Linux Laptop

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Currently on a 13.3 MBP that I really enjoy. It's a late 2011 model and beginning to show it's age a little. I've boosted the RAM, etc. Maybe a SSD swap? Anyhow, the point is I'm getting the scratch to upgrade.

I'll be the first to say I didn't like the price tag of my MBP, but when I consider overall value, it has been a really great bang for the buck. That said, I'm not shopping entirely by price or compatibility but also by what is a great laptop that will last 3-5 years. Also, I hate the fact many options include soldered RAM, etc. which basically means no user upgrades. :no:

I vastly prefer the Mac environment to Windows. But I'm realistic. There's always that program or two that is finicky or there isn't a true replacement so VM or dual boot scenarios come into play. I'm comfortable and okay with that. Not a computer gamer, so that aspect makes little difference to me.

I barely "speak" Linux but wanting to learn a new OS and understand the power (and learning curve) that distros such as Ubuntu and similar offer. Learning command line is something I desire and want to do. I've been dabbling in the Unix shell of OS X. Although, I also want to have a "pretty GUI", something to rival the OS X interface.

Anyhow, all this said, when looking around I am not sure I like the direction Apple is heading and would like to open up my search to a laptop that would run Linux primarily. As already noted I'd consider Wine or other VM alternatives or even a dual boot for Windows applications. Truth be told I'll probably dabble with a triple boot and try a Hackintosh.

My budget is roughly $1500 +/-. I'd like to find an i7 processor, at least 8-16gb, minimum 500gb SSD, 1920 resolution and preferably a 13.3" screen (weird I know....went from 17" to 15" to my 13.3"....and love it).

Thus far I've considered the following:

- Dell XPS 13.3 (looking at the Linux versions)
- Apple MBP 13.3 (no Linux versions, but I have Ubuntu on my MBP now)
- Asus Zenbook 13.3 (not sure their Linux compatibility)

Open to suggestions and ideas. Bring it own. Let me know if you need more info.

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Forgot to add lighted keyboard (with 10-key would be nice...MBP's don't have it). Also, love my trackpad on the MBP, so something that behaves very similar. Not that gawd awful stick that IBM/Lenova used to offer.