New midrange gaming laptop, what should I get?

SPECTRAL PHOENIX

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Now, first things first. Although I said gaming, it doesn't need to be a rocketship. I'm not a hardcore graphics guy, so my games don't need to be cranked to the max. (I'll have it around medium, high only if it's convient, and never low...otherwise no point in upgrading).

I also know desktops are better then laptops, but I want a laptop. I have no where to put it without inconveniencing someone, and I could also go outside with it, while still being able to use a monitor/tv if I want to be inside.

Budget hardcap $1000, softcap $700. Tax is around 13%, so add say $100 to the total.

Doing my own research I'm thinking around 8gb of ram, i5 processor, and I'm clueless with graphic cards (I can't pick the specs out of their names >_<). I don't know if this will work, hence why I'm asking.

I'm not sure what future games I'm going to get for it, but I plan on installing photoshop and skyrim so far. Maybe some games off steam...

Solution

Both are good, but for $150 more I would go for the second one because of the faster CPU which supports hyperthreading (good for future games) and the better graphics card.

SPECTRAL PHOENIX

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
I looked up what refurbished means and I'm a little scared to risk it...this is going to be my first new computer, I don't want to settle for a busted handmedown again...

With lenvo I can't export since I'm canadian, should have mentioned that I guess.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

Yea man Canada is more expensive for everything, at least you get free healthcare :D.

SPECTRAL PHOENIX

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
A friend at work told me about this site based in canada, and they got lenvo
http://ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=lenovo+notebook
Trouble is anything in my price range only has 4GB of ram...so a few questions. How expensive/easy is it to upgrade later? How much will 4gb less ram hurt me? Also I noticed a few with i7 that were cheap, but for some reason they drop under 2Ghz? I'm confused, I've seen a computer with an i3 that was better...

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

Regarding the ram question, upgrading laptop ram is probably the easiest upgrade and takes a minute literally. Going from 4 to 8gb will cost $40-$50, and is essential if your planning to run big games like GTA 4, skyrim etc, and is a must for multi- tasking. For the i7, keep in mind that there are 4 cores and it can go to 2.8 ghz using turbo boost. It is one of the best CPUs for a laptop and the performance for the i7 isn't based on the Ghz, but more of the technology like hyperthreading, etc. Incase your wondering if there is an i5 with 3.2ghz and an i7 with 1.7 Ghz, the i7 is better long story short. Also make sure the processor is either a 3000 or 4000 series. Example: Core i7- 3720 and core i7-4950 HQ. However if the price of an i7 is too high go for an i5.

Hope this helped :).

SPECTRAL PHOENIX

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Hmm...how much will the a weaker processor effect the computer? That seems to be the big drag on the price...in theory if it doesn't matter too much, couldn't I simply get a weaker laptop and then upgrade the ram? Or more simply: Is the processor worth it's weight in cash? I'm sorry I keep asking, but I'm almost done.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

Depends, which processors are you comparing? Also ram helps, but not as much as the CPU.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

Both of them are pretty bad for gaming because of the intel HD graphics ( my laptop has that, and If I run any game all settings are low), instead try to look for a laptop with Nvidia GT/X or Radeon HD graphics. For gaming the GPU can make a night and day difference.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

Both are good, but for $150 more I would go for the second one because of the faster CPU which supports hyperthreading (good for future games) and the better graphics card.

Solution