New modem and now laptop won't connect to internet

AdultCrash

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have been trouble shooting my home internet connection today and borrowed a modem from a friend. Everything seems to be working ok on my network EXCEPT for my wife's laptop. That can join the wifi network but won't connect to the internet (plenty of other devices on the same wifi are online).

I've tried a number of steps including:
1) deleting the wifi network adaptor in device manager and reinstalling it
2) updating the drivers
3) connecting via ethernet cable - still won't connect
4) turning off the firewall

I'm a bit stumped. Any advice?

FYI the laptop is a 64bit Samsung running Win 10. I'm trying to connect via a wireless router (not the modem) which is exactly the same as it was before. The laptop can see the router and the router login screen says it has a good connection to the internet!

Solution
Agreed, it would only be a temporary fix.

If it does work with the modem only, that will at least show that it is via the router that the problem happens. Now if it doesn't work, even directly through the modem, then there is something else all together going on.

I would still suggest checking the channels, just to be sure.
Does the laptop connect if you plug it in direct (not via WiFi)?

Try checking the channel setting on your router. Go into the routers "configuration" and then go to the "Wireless" option. In here look for an option which deals with "Channels".

If the router is set to "auto", you should usually see which channel your router is using.

Next you need to check the channel setting for your Laptop:

1. Go to "Control Planel" and then "Network and Sharing Center".
2. Click on "Change Adapter Settings".
3. Now right-click "WLAN device" and and then click "Properties".
4. Go to the "Networking" tab and click on "Configure".
5. Next click on the "Advanced" tab, go to "WZC IBSS Channel Number property" and look at the value/number it is using.
6. If this value/number is different than the one that your router is using, this can cause your laptop to not connect correctly.

You can look into switching to manual selection of channel on the router and then select an appropriate channel which is supported by both your router and your laptop.

AdultCrash

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Unfortunately not. Although what I didn't try was pluging it in to the modem directly... I'll try that tonight. But since it didn't connect to the router via ethernet either, I don't think it's a channel issue.

AdultCrash

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Perhaps, although I'd really rather have it so it just worked!

If it works through the modem then I can turn on the modem's wifi and have it as a separate network that only the wife's laptop uses. But still...

Agreed, it would only be a temporary fix.

If it does work with the modem only, that will at least show that it is via the router that the problem happens. Now if it doesn't work, even directly through the modem, then there is something else all together going on.

I would still suggest checking the channels, just to be sure.

Solution

AdultCrash

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Irritatingly, it does work with just the modem. On the other hand we've demonstrated the internet issues we've been having generally are down tot he copper not the modem so I can turn the old modem back on. We'll see if that makes a difference!