New Nintendo Console Won't Get A HDD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Things will change, doubt it's truly set in stone. But 8gb... I had a system 15+ years ago that had an 8gb hdd. The system won't be a media center that's for sure, if their choice for solid state is governing the size maybe it's still too early to rely on it.

twile

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
If it does turn out to be true, it's crazy. Nintendo's going to lock themselves into another 5-6 year period with hardware which is outdated before it even launches. If they have the possibility for lots of storage, then they can roll out new stuff in the future to rekindle demand--like the ability to download entire games. What a great way to keep their regular users from piracy and reselling, tie the titles to an online account. But with a drive smaller than even a current-gen game might be, they're removing that possibility for yet another generation. It's a feature that everyone else offers -_-

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I said several times on different articles that Nintendo will do something to f**k up this system like so many others...
I would say that this is it BUT...
If space can be added via SD or USB flash devices then it would be easy to add 32GB or more. And on the upside the flash memory could be a LOT faster than a hard drive would be. This means the system may be able to use this as a cache between the bluray and the RAM to keep loading either non-existant or at least very minimal.

Personally, If I was building the system... It would have the 8GB of flash space (at a very high speed) AND a hard drive with at least 40GB OR the ability for people to plug in an external hard drive, SD card OR USB flash drive and use that as thier hard drive.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]Unfortunately gamecube games are anywhere between a 1Gb to 1.5Gb.. so I don't think that'd be able to offer those with 8Gb of storage.Though I have heard it may keep GC compatibility.. not sure what I think about that, to be honest.But yes, as you say - this will probably keep developers away.. again.[/citation]

GCN games are actually less than that. Back in the heyday when I decided to try out GCN emulation, they have a "redundancy filter" tool that apparently strips out unnecessary data. Metal Gear Solid for instance was really around 800MB per disk.

Notice how a lot of PS1 games on PSN don't even match up to a CD's capacity. The smallest game they have is around 5MB.

G

SD cards are stupid slow even the new UHS-U1 format dont even come close to sata 1.5 let alone sata 6

im with Ragnar-Kon, first thing that came to mind was cloud strategy too, or like dark_lord69 said, maybe Nintendo is really smart and realize that Hard drives are ubiquitous now and allow the user to plug a standard hard drive in or even better still use a networked hard drive as the storage medium, of course this opens up the concept of a media-less console whereby they use a Steam like client to store and manage games which brings us back to the cloud strategy....

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Personally, I was doubting that a Wii2 would have a HDD, though I'm going to speculatively call BS on any claims to pin down the size of the solid-state storage. Nintendo frequently goes towards direct chip performance and minimizing of power consumption/heat production, and sticking with SSD storage instead of a HDD would make sense in that respect.

Of course, as some have suggested, true plug-and-play support for USB accessories could overrule this all: the more hardcore people, very well, are more likely to know about external drives and have them. And almost everyone knows what a USB flash drive is, and support for that on the Wii would pretty much eliminate the need for significant internal storage.
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Seriously guys, go buy a ruler. A 6 inch screen? Include the normal buttons and you're practically holding a keyboard in your hands.[/citation]
Yup, 'tis what I've been saying on every single "Wii 2" article here so far. Specifically, if you go by IGN's badly-photoshopped and fabricated "leak," the 6.2" size claimed would mean it's 11.2 inches wide.

[citation][nom]xenol[/nom]GCN games are actually less than that. Notice how a lot of PS1 games on PSN don't even match up to a CD's capacity. The smallest game they have is around 5MB.[/citation]
This is a badly overlooked little fact you bring up. Very rare are the games that actually fill up their discs; that "very rare" drops to a "never" once you strip out the countless hours of FMVs most Japanese-made games have. (ever notice how no major American or European console games are multi-disc?)

Status
Not open for further replies.