New Orleans May Get Google Fiber; Others Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I assume consumers get to test the fiber optic system. Do they get to test it for free?

Sounds like Google is trying to maintain strict control over employees.

Judguh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
IMO, I'd like to see Duluth, MN to get it before New Orleans. I haven't heard anything cool or interesting that New Orleans has done compared to Duluth.

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Being from New Orleans, I think this would be awesome! But, New Orleans is fairly behind times when it comes to technology. Bourbon Street on the other hand, makes up for all that. :)

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
There was also a question about local workers and Google's "strict hiring practices," meaning it may be difficult for locals to "curb their creative free spirit" and adapt to Google's "precise scientific method."

April Fools?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mtyermom[/nom]April Fools?[/citation]
Obviously.
Half of Google's staff are stoners, and I can only assume that Kevin was refering to stoners.
Perfect match! New Orleans it is.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Judguh[/nom]IMO, I'd like to see Duluth, MN to get it before New Orleans. I haven't heard anything cool or interesting that New Orleans has done compared to Duluth.[/citation]
I've never even heard of Duluth.
I can only assume MN means Minnesota, but even then I`m not sure.
:)

G

I also think Duluth, MN should get it. Look at this site they put up for it!

http://www.googletwinports.com/

G

Hi Toms Guide,

Thanks for picking up our story but it was an April Fool's joke. While we would love for fiber to come to New Orleans we have to wait and see like everyone else.

Also to the commenters that have something negative to say about New Orleans. Come down to our city and see for yourself. No we are not underwater and yes we still are rebuilding in certain parts. But there is plenty of positive things going on in our city. Don't believe everything main stream media tells you.

-Chris B
Co-Founder
NewOrleans Tech

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I guess no one here including the editor bothered to read the whole article, especially the end where it clearly states this news as an April Fools joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.