New PC program list

stanleythedog

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I researched what programs I need to install on a 64bit PC I'm planning to buy (my current one is 32bit), and here's what I got:

Chrome
Flash Player
Java
Adobe Reader
Unity Player
Nvidia drives
Microsoft NET Framework
Apache OpenOffice
Spybot S&D Free Edition
K-Lite Codec Pack
Advanced SystemCare
VLC Media Player
OEM Configurator
CCleaner
ImgBurn

These are the very essential ones that I think will be needed. Did I miss any programs? Are there more must-have programs for new PC's?

You'll need to install some good antivirus software (Spybot S&D is not sufficient).

Don't bother with Advanced System Care as it has the potential to cause more problems than it fixes.

You don't need a codec pack either if you install VLC Media Player, it has all the codecs built-in that you are likely to need.

Flash Player is already built-in to Chrome and updates automatically in the background with no user input required.

Have you used Advanced SystemCare before? If not, I'm not sure I would include it in the list of programs that you need to install. The reviews tend to be quite negative. What do plan to use OEM Configurator for? From what I have read about the program I would not consider it a necessity. The more you install the more you have running in the background.

kenny1007

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

To be hones you don't need many of the applications you listed. As far as antivirus go, I always recommend Avira and Avast.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Add:
IrfanView (fast, lightweight image viewer)
Foxit Reader (PDF reader)

Go to ninite.com, and you can get most of those in a one-click install. Select which ones you want, get the small installer, and it goes out and gets the most recent version.
Installs all automatically, and WITHOUT any extra baggage that those applications sometimes come with.