Solved! New Samsung TV won't work with older Panasonic home theatre

John_1969

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I have a new Samsung 65KS8000 UHD TV. I am trying to get it to work with my Panasonic SC ht740 home theatre. The Panasonic has a HDMI out port which is connected to the HDMI(arc) on my TV. I get sound and the DVD player works when I put it on this port. However I can't get sound sound to work with the TV and other devices(Xbox OneS, PS4). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Your TV has the ability to switch all the HDMI's, so I don't know how a switcher box could help. It still comes down to the Panasonic wanting an analog input in order to do the audio. You can buy an adapter that would take the Digital Audio Out from the TV and convert it to Analog, but you're looking at maybe $50, and your TV is just begging for a better solution. You should look at upgrading your Panasonic with a newer Receiver capable of Digital audio and/or HDMI input switching. You may have an issue then tho with your current Subwoofer as I imagine the Panasonic powers that (the sub has no built-in amplifier) and most newer receivers may just have low signal output to go to Powered Subs..

dudio

Admirable
You're pretty limited by the Panasonic because of it's lack of inputs for new device technologies.
I agree with Kitty that the problem you're likely seeing is because you are trying to use the Panasonic as the main switching device between all your different devices if you are using the HDMI *OUT*. I think your best bet is to connect ll your devices to the TV, and then have just one connection for audio out to the Panasonic. You only have analog (red and white RCA) as an input of sound TO the Panasonic, so you need to use an analog Audio Out from the TV. Hard to find documentation on exactly what outputs you have like that on the TV. I imagine there's no Red and White RCA out.. does it have a headphone jack out? What outputs on the TV do you see?

John_1969

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

John_1969

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Thanks for your responses! The TV has 4 HDMI ports, a digital audio out port, and no headphone port. The Panasonic just has the red & white RCA and the HDMI out. There is a music port on front of system as well. Do you guys think a HDMI switcher box would work? Just thinking out loud. Thanks for your help!

dudio

Admirable
Your TV has the ability to switch all the HDMI's, so I don't know how a switcher box could help. It still comes down to the Panasonic wanting an analog input in order to do the audio. You can buy an adapter that would take the Digital Audio Out from the TV and convert it to Analog, but you're looking at maybe $50, and your TV is just begging for a better solution. You should look at upgrading your Panasonic with a newer Receiver capable of Digital audio and/or HDMI input switching. You may have an issue then tho with your current Subwoofer as I imagine the Panasonic powers that (the sub has no built-in amplifier) and most newer receivers may just have low signal output to go to Powered Subs..

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from John_1969 : "Old receiver to new TV"