Solved! New sound card sounds really bad

luxxum

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Due to the front headphone jack on my computer being broken, I have been using the external sound card that came with my g430 headphones. However, it is starting to give out, so I bought the Sound Blaster RX sound card to replace it.

However, the new sound card somehow manages to be much worse than the one I am currently using. Everything sounds smoothed over and like it has a layer of white noise (not that you can hear white noise, but that the quality sounds like it has a filter over it)

For instance, in this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLYGnCcakpw

at 00:07, with my old sound card, you can hear a bit of "bite" in the cymbals, but with the new card it sounds all smoothed over.

Any Idea what might be wrong? I disabled the onboard audio and installed the latest drivers. I would just assume the sound card is faulty, but this is the second time I have gotten a new one (different kind last time) and it sound worse, so I assume that it is an issue with how I am using it instead.

Thanks for any help

Solution
Which motherboard are yu running? You might be experiencing interference due to the layout of the board (PCI slot near other chips that can cause interference).

If possible, try utilizing the sound card in another PCIe slot...... ideally the furthest from where it is now.
Which motherboard are yu running? You might be experiencing interference due to the layout of the board (PCI slot near other chips that can cause interference).

If possible, try utilizing the sound card in another PCIe slot...... ideally the furthest from where it is now.

Solution

luxxum

Prominent
May 25, 2017

I am using an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 (www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/).

I never thought of interference. If that is the case I'll have to get a different card (or just get an external one), because my graphics card takes up two slots, so it's as far away as it can get currently.

Thanks!