New SSD / 'Operating System Not Found' Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

eVoLVer

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi Guys...

Just bought a brand new Sony Vaio Laptop - very fast machine, all the latest specs, except I didn't fancy paying Sony prices for a 512Gb SSD, so I bought that separately...

Only trouble is, having installed new 512Gb SSD, on booting the machine now says "Operating System Not Found".... obviously this is a blank drive and was planning on instaling a linux / windows 7 dual boot system, but the machine won't boot from the CD drive...

It has some form of weird BIOS called Insyde H2 BIOS that I can't seem to get into...

Can anyone recommend a plan of attack to get the machine to boot from CD so I can install the new OS's to my machine?

What other things might I have to consider to get the installation to go smoothly?

Many thanks in advance for any tips you may have!!

Adam

buckpalace

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I have been planning on doing the same thing. 256GB is far more reasonable in terms of price - Sony's prices are crazy.

I also wondered if I would have the same issue as you. As i havent plunged into this yet - I cant give advice based on practise. However how about putting Ubuntu onto a USB and booting the device from there? once you have Ubuntu set up you can then get windows installed.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Is it that you are unable to gain access into the BIOS or you are not certain of the keys to press to get into the BIOS?

Sometimes, laptops do not display this information but it's there but hidden behind the splash screen.

It could be the esc key upon bootup or F1, F2 or F3 or possibly F12 etc...

eVoLVer

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi there....

Thanks for the replies....

The problem is really that I can't gain access to the BIOS as the only thing that happens on booting is a welcome screen with the Insyde H2 BIOS logo, followed by a one line text message saying 'Operating System Not Found'. I'm not sure what the BIOS access key is, or even if there is any end user BIOS access within this set up (I'm thinking the BIOS could be locked), but I have tried all the common ones without success...

Of course, then I'm not really sure whether there's any setting that would definitely enable me to proceed with the OS installations, but I'm thinking it's a fair place to start....

Any other tips much appreciated...

Thanks,

Adam

PS... May try my Linux Mint installation from USB to see if that helps things... but would be preferable to get the windows installation up first... or at least be able to boot directly from CD....

eVoLVer

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Update:

I have now got into the BIOS... my mistake, holding F2 on startup does access BIOS, but there are no options that change the fact that booting the laptop still comes up with "Operating System Not Found". There is certainly no option to enable AHCI, which I read is important for an SSD, though this laptop does come with a SSD option, so maybe this is enabled by default by Sony. Still exploring the USB install options, but still can't figure out why I am unable to boot from CD as the boot order in the BIOS has the CD drive first before the HDD.

Any further tips and clues appreciated...

Adam

PS Changing the HDD for a SSD most likely invalidates warranty, so I'm trying not to contact Sony if possible...

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
you should've contaced Sony Support Before you purchsed the system and run through this scenario with them - to see if there is even the option of accomplishing what you're trying, without speedbumps

if you have the CD/DVD drive selected as first to boot, and it does not, with a Windows DVD in the drive, then certainly you need to contact Sony Tech Support

---

booting to a DVD has nothing to do with what HDD or SSD is installed in the system, so don't worry about that with tech support

you just want them to help you diagnose Why it's not working

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
You can always inform them if they ask that the laptop is out of warranty. You just never know what information may be handed your way.

cmczona

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I am anxious to know if you got this to work. I had the same problem with the Operating System not found and could n ot get Sony Laptop to boot from CD or USB

NoSound01

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hi...

Insert the installiation CD Press F11 on boot wait until it boots from the cd.. install your OS.. when done installing eject the cd restart your computer then press f11 again on boot.. that's all.

I have sony vaio S I have installed SSD and linux mint on it.. works fine.. :)
good luck

grantmg

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

I wish F11 would work, I've tried F11 and F10, tapping/holding. It seems F11 does try to access something since it takes longer to show "Operating System not Found." I am trying to fix a friend's Sony Vaio SVS13A15G and have already removed over 25 viruses from main partition using special boot disks. Sigh

Edward Gelernt

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Did you look through ALL the options in the BIOS? There might be an option hidden in some subcategory that allows you to change boot priority

Did you look through ALL the options in the BIOS? There might be an option hidden in some subcategory that allows you to change boot priority

1. You're replying to a six month old post.
2. The poster was looking for an option to change from IDE to AHCI - something I can assure you does not appear in many Vaio BIOS pages.

It's time to close this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.