New SSD replaced HDD. Now it won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordmaster13

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
Hello,

I just received a ssd for my birthday.
I replaced an old HDD with the new SSD.
Now however, it wont load my windows from my first SSD.

My bios does recognize the new ssd and the first one, but when I select it as boot device, it won't lock.

Any help please?

My setup was:
1. Ssd (windows)
2. Hdd A
3. Hdd B
4. Cd drive

Now my setup is:
1. Ssd (windows)
2. Hdd A
3. New ssd
4. Cd drive

Solution
As a guess, I think that when you installed windows on your ssd, you had a hard drive attached.
If so, Windows would have placed a hidden recovery partition on that drive.
When you removed that hard drive and it's recovery partition, you would not be allowed to boot.

If you have the room, reinstall the hard drive and add your new ssd elsewhere.

When installing windows, things get much easier if no other drives are attached, and the recovery partition will be placed on the windows drive.

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Dependa on the motherboard/BIOS but some will remove the device if its not a valid boot device. Others you have arrange priorities in the disk setup. I have a board that wont even allow a drive to be booted if its not in the boot list. (I boot from one SSD which os Linux, but if I choose Windows on the other SSD in GRUB in only works if that hard drive is in the boot order somewhere)

geofelt

Distinguished
Is this a new clean install of windows on the ssd?
Or, did you clone your windows to the new ssd?
What was the clone utility?
If so, reattach the ssd to the sata port where windows was originally installed.

If you are on windows 10, you are being protected from yourself or imaginary hackers, by secure boot which will not allow anything else but the original boot device to boot into windows.

geofelt

Distinguished
As a guess, I think that when you installed windows on your ssd, you had a hard drive attached.
If so, Windows would have placed a hidden recovery partition on that drive.
When you removed that hard drive and it's recovery partition, you would not be allowed to boot.

If you have the room, reinstall the hard drive and add your new ssd elsewhere.

When installing windows, things get much easier if no other drives are attached, and the recovery partition will be placed on the windows drive.

Solution

Anthracite

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
For what it is worth, I did a bit by bit copy of my hard drive to an SSD and when I put it in the machine, the SSD was not recognized as a bootable device. I took the SSD and connected it by USB3 to another Windows machine to see if I could see if the copy had been successful, and when the prompt came up there might be a problem, I let it run the analysis WITHOUT allowing it to make any changes. When it was done, I put it back in the machine and it at least booted part way. I then turned the machine off by the power button and restarted it and it came right up and is working fine. I don't pretend to know why, but I thought it might help someone.

SV4NL_

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

How do I reinstall a harddrive? do I need to repartition the hdd or? i know im late but i just encountered the same problem

Carlos_96

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

im having the same problem, could you expand on that answer, my system boots fine from the hdd bot wont load from the ssd, other programs that i cloned work fine in the pc. It just wont boot, i tried to set it as the main boot drive but it doesnt load windows.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Please start a new thread for your issue.
Include details.

Thanks.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Please start a new thread for your issue.
Include details.

Thanks.

Arrowpm

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Here's my experience with my latest( 1 day ago) SSD upgrade: So I installed the SSD in the HDD's place of the Acer E1-571G Laptop ( there's only 1 HDD slot) and made a clean Windows 7 install( the HDD was disconnected during Win install). Then I put back the HDD in the place of the CD slot by caddy.
So, when I checked the Bios, in the Information section the SSD was visible, but in the Boot section I could see only the HDD and couldn't see the SSD (though in windows explorer it appears). The Laptop kept booting from the HDD and in every booting had to push F12 in order to choose SSD as a booting device which was quite annoying. So here's is the decision:

1. By Disk Management tool (Start button - right click on Computer - Manage - Disk management) I formatted the partition on the HDD, where Windows was installed( after moving necessary files to the other partition of the HDD).
2. Then, I deleted the 100 MB reserved area(partition) from Windows on the HDD, again by Disk Management.

After that, the Laptop booted directly from the SSD :)

Hope this will help

Status
Not open for further replies.