New Super Mario Bros. Wii Looks Great in 1080p

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]I think Nintendo should drop the whole console gig and just make games. Let's face it. Is the wii console REALLY required to play the games they make.... No. The wii is not a console, it's a method of playing games. If you took the accessories (wand, nun-chuck, etc), and accessories only, from the wii and had an exact equivalent on either the PS3 or 360, nobody would pay for the wii. People aren't paying for an underpowered previous generation console that has no HD and only comes in shiny white. They are paying for the experience. An experience that currently is not available on the PS3 or 360. HOWEVER, once either or both of those consoles provide the same experience, Nintendo's sales of the console will plummet. That's my prediction, and I think it's only a matter of time before something like that happens to a degree.[/citation]

Nintendo makes way to much money to think about ditching hardware and only focus on software. Lets face it, no matter how poor the graphics are, that console is fun to play with. People of all ages flock to it. Sales may drop, but I garauntee you Nintendo will pull them up when the time comes for a Wii update/refresh. The bottom line is that its still the best selling system, and the combined sales of the DS and Wii put everything else to shame.

Brooks G

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I regret gettin a wii, it's mainly for the kids. there are some good games, but not that many. tryin to get a 360 for fps's. this isn't a lie, i'm no fanboy

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Heh, that's funny. The test system is overkill to emulate the modest hardware of the Wii. You're still not gonna see an HD Wii anytime soon. At best, the next generation from Nintendo will be able to play Wii games in 1080P. Such a system is probably 2 years away at least.

pletopia

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
umm .. bad topic name .. THIS IS NOT HD

just cause the video is set to 1080p .. doesn't make the game all of a sudden HD .. like my old xbox (original) which i had the component cables for and had it set to 1080p didn't all of a sudden make my games HD

G

I agree Wii is for the kids. My kids love it and have a great time playing it. I work with Sharp and the graphics look amazing on our LCD television.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]pletopia[/nom]umm .. bad topic name .. THIS IS NOT HDjust cause the video is set to 1080p .. doesn't make the game all of a sudden HD .. like my old xbox (original) which i had the component cables for and had it set to 1080p didn't all of a sudden make my games HD[/citation]

True, but you are missing a couple of points. First, Component cables cannot deliver true 1080p. Sure, the cable itself is capable of carrying the required bandwidth of about 124MHz, but the RCA style connector can only handle ~100MHz which means it is dumping almost 20% of the signal. So even if you did have a 1080p source, you would be able to tell the difference between a component cable and HDMI/DVI.

Second, the resolution from your xbox was limited to 1080i at best depending on the game. On the back of the games case it told you which resolutions the game was capable of. There was 480p, 720p, and 1080i, but never 1080p for the original xbox. The game was actually written to render at those resolutions so in theory, without hacking the game, you could not increase the resolution.

Now assuming the wii does not have the same limitations in its games, one could in theory take the game and put it in higher end hardware and render the game in higher resolutions much like high end computers can play games in higher resolutions than lower end ones. HOWEVER, if the video is of 1920x1080 resolution at 60 frames per second, it could be said that the game is being played at 1080p. 1080p !== better all the time. 1080p is just a statement saying there are 1920x1080 pixels in a progressive scan format at 60 frames per second. Being 1080p does not stop the content from looking like shit.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Its really a fun game kinda short but really a blast to play, now just to collect all the gold coins and open up the different paths...

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I would never let my kids play Mario -- not in 1080p, 720p or 480i. One of the most unhealthy franchises of all time for the youthful mind.

It teaches kids to look down on their siblings (Luigi), and worse yet to grow into self-centered brats who value their own self-importance more than anything except perhaps materialism based on the obsession over earning more and more coins. With no real goal in mind other than to please a woman who is viewed as nothing more as an object, in this case a trophy, Mario is an attempt to show that you can succeed in life by setting your goals low to be nothing more than a stout plumber if you have enough weed to smoke to induce such dreams. Hence 'Mushroom Kingdom', and hence the numerous clouds in the settings. In these absurd dreams you still conquer and become important to the world. Too bad when the reality hits, your job is fixing broken toilets.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]brooks g[/nom]I regret gettin a wii, it's mainly for the kids. there are some good games, but not that many. tryin to get a 360 for fps's. this isn't a lie, i'm no fanboy[/citation]

No fanboy either but if you want to play FPS games, why don't you get a PC?

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]I think Nintendo should drop the whole console gig and just make games. Let's face it. Is the wii console REALLY required to play the games they make.... No. The wii is not a console, it's a method of playing games. If you took the accessories (wand, nun-chuck, etc), and accessories only, from the wii and had an exact equivalent on either the PS3 or 360, nobody would pay for the wii. People aren't paying for an underpowered previous generation console that has no HD and only comes in shiny white. They are paying for the experience. An experience that currently is not available on the PS3 or 360. HOWEVER, once either or both of those consoles provide the same experience, Nintendo's sales of the console will plummet. That's my prediction, and I think it's only a matter of time before something like that happens to a degree.[/citation]

You are right on one point: people are bying the wii for the experience.
But if Nintendo was making only games and no consoles, this experience would never have existed today (or maybe in a distant future) and consoles in general would not be that advanced either.
Just look at all the evolutions Nintendo brought to console gaming since the begining.
Of course, Sony and Microsoft will one day propose some gesture based controls. But both companies would never have jump on the bandwagon (that soon)if Nintendo did not have made it attractive and did not have shown that you can make lots of money with it.
And to go further, there may not be any Sony or Microdoft consoles today if Nintendo(and other like Sega) did not have made consoles better and made lots of moneys with these consoles.
For most of the time, Sony and Microsoft have just been followers and not leaders in consoles and console gaming "revolutions".
Both companies added things(CD than bluray, HD) but how did they really changed gameplay?

oneeighteen

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Heh, that's funny. The test system is overkill to emulate the modest hardware of the Wii. You're still not gonna see an HD Wii anytime soon. At best, the next generation from Nintendo will be able to play Wii games in 1080P. Such a system is probably 2 years away at least.[/citation]
emulating anything is always harder to do than running the original code but the thing is it was written for certain hardware so in stead of rewriting the whole code we emulate it its easier to do but much harder to run

G

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Everybody that's tangled up in the 1080p argument needs to back up. First and foremost; contrary to what you may have been lead to believe, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are not levels of quality or definition. Although the before mentioned video configurations may greatly affect the quality or definition of content, they are not indications of the quality itself. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are all shorthand for various combinations of resolution and refresh rate.

Now, to explain this as simply as possible, I've made a list and key of common resolutions below.

480i = 720 x 480 interlaced
480p = 720 x 480 progressive
720p = 1280 x 720 progressive
1080i = 1920 x 1080 interlaced
1080p = 1920 x 1080 progressive

Interlaced: A method of scanning in which one-half the total lines (262.5 NTSC) are scanned in one field (even-numbered lines), and the other half of the total number of lines are scanned in the next field (odd-numbered lines). Thus, adjacent lines of a complete picture (one frame) belong to successive fields.

Progressive or Progressive Scan: Unlike with an interlaced image, a progressive image is drawn line for line (all at once) and provides a smoother, sharper-looking image. However, whether interlaced or progressive, the resolution does not change; simply the manner in which it is rendered.

I hope the few remaining debaters will find this illuminating and shut the hell up!

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
The you tube video is CRAP.....why cant they take better video?

anyhow...just so that EVERYONE KNOWS....You CANNOT make a firmware update for 1080p p=PROGRESSIVE SCAN

The most component cables can deliver is 1080i i=INTERLACED every other scan line is skipped.

Component cables = ANALOG = SUCKS

HDMI = DIGITAL and there is a HUGE difference between 1080p digital and 1080i interlaced with component cables

Nintendo would have to make a new unit and they WONT

WHY

because with the human eye you cant tell the difference.....

Try setting your xbox 360 or PS3 to 480p on purpose and tell me that it does not look horrible.

the wii can only output 480p max......and honestly trying to tell the difference between 480i and 480p through component cables is a waste of time cause i cant see any noticeable difference.

I have the wii and have tried everything....the best you are EVER going to get is to use component cables and select 480p on your LCD HDTV.

Nintendo would have to make a new wii and the hardware cant even handle 720p.....if it did....it would have been implemented.

Way to go Nintendo...give us CHEAP hardware and charge a premium for it????

SUCKS!!!!!!!

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
720p = 1280 x 720 progressive
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

should be 1366x768 in order to display properly on a 720p TV or it will look fuzzy.

only older crappy TV's display in 1280 x 720 progressive

xeensd

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
You are right on one point: people are bying the wii for the experience.
But if Nintendo was making only games and no consoles, this experience would never have existed today (or maybe in a distant future) and consoles in general would not be that advanced either.

IMHO you are actually incorrect. Guitar hero is example of an "experience" that is native to all platforms. Advanced accessories
from Nintendo would be an interesting approach. The Wii was a gamble on Nintendo's part and would have been the last console if it had failed from Nintendo.
Interesting question: Would it have been as successful if Nintendo had a 1080P system with a higher price.. I doubt it. BTW after accessories the system is the same as others... Wii mote + nunchuck + motion plus + maybe a classic controller - 80 bucks a set x 4 = $240! The cheapness was a perception in the first place.
Natal, if it is not a load of bull, could be impressive, and might make the Wii mote a moot point if done right. To bad XBox 360's fail at an alarming rate.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Man that is awesome. I watched it in 1080p on youtube.. looks great! It makes it look like a lot of fun! FoShizzleDizzle, what WOULD you let your kids play? Modern Warfare 2? I understand what you are saying but it sounds a bit extremist if you ask me. I am NOT bashing you I am just saying.. there are plenty of things in the world to lure your kids into a false state of thinking. Like, SOCIETY for example. I agree with your "view" but I wouldn't set my life strategy by avoiding Mario. I dunno, just my thoughts, no offense fo' shezee!

http://professionalmike.com

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]FoShizzleDizzle[/nom]I would never let my kids play Mario -- not in 1080p, 720p or 480i. One of the most unhealthy franchises of all time for the youthful mind.It teaches kids to look down on their siblings (Luigi), and worse yet to grow into self-centered brats who value their own self-importance more than anything except perhaps materialism based on the obsession over earning more and more coins. With no real goal in mind other than to please a woman who is viewed as nothing more as an object, in this case a trophy, Mario is an attempt to show that you can succeed in life by setting your goals low to be nothing more than a stout plumber if you have enough weed to smoke to induce such dreams. Hence 'Mushroom Kingdom', and hence the numerous clouds in the settings. In these absurd dreams you still conquer and become important to the world. Too bad when the reality hits, your job is fixing broken toilets.[/citation]
Well your statement just shows that assholes can twist anything to mean anything they want.
Your children are going to hate you and end up with drug problems.
I'll not quantify that statement any further, aside from to say that you can never say you weren't told.
Lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.