New Tv with no Connectivity

cassidyk

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Hi
So I am wondering if there is a term for a Television that has no internet connectivity?
I request this information to determine if there is an easy way to refine the search for a new TV That is not "smart", has no "wifi" or other needs to be "connected". one that will not need to soak up my precious metered internet. I use a computer to interface with the internet and would like to have a TV that does not.

kanewolf

Judicious
Even though a TV is "smart" you don't have to configure it to use the internet. A WIFI enabled TV would have to be told to connect to your encrypted WIFI (you do use WPA2 encryption don't you?) and then either enter the password or use a "one touch" connection. Either way, manual intervention is required.

cassidyk

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Ty Kanewolf for taking the time to help me with my questions. Ahh.. nice, then it is no problem to deny the TV permission, so to speak. We receive our internet via a dish and I know when we set up the router and such we were insistent that there be no passwords or other restrictions to access the signal for our ease as we are many miles form our nearest neighbor and have no concerns of others accessing our internet. We use no devices with the exception of one desk top and one laptop, cellphones do not work where we are. As mentioned in other thread we do get an OTA broadcast signal in fair weather that originates a considerable distance away.
I still wonder if there may be some advantage to acquiring a TV that does not have internet capability, as with so many things more components allow more points for failure, and also the manufactures may have additional cost passed on to the customers. In any event it would help me refine my search if there was an easy way to distinguish between TVs with and without internet capability.

This is one of those you are trying to save $2 in electricity by buying a $50 high tech light bulb.

Having ethernet capability is not a huge cost. As in everything in electronics these days, the "ethernet" is been downsized to a single chip, that when mass-produced, it costs a buck. Vendors don't really single ethernet out as a feature that you can easily filter on your search, you will have to do it manually, and look it each one, if you insist.

IMO, just skip the SMARTs and you are good to go.