New Windows development laptop

shakes268

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
1_What is your budget? $1500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.4

3_What screen resolution do you want? Undecided, something good for development.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Middle ground - portable but I have a powerful desktop.

5_How much battery life do you need? 2-3 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? Not really, no gaming.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Email, web surfing, graphics design

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 320GB 7200

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. Dell, xoticpc, sagernotebook.com

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not really
13_What country do you live in?
USA

I plan on running Visual Studio 2008, possibly installing Windows 2008 Server 64x on it. Sql Server express, some of the expressions products as I want to do some silverlight development.

I also do some java development with plans to learn Ruby.

The last laptop I purchased (used the company's since then) was back in 2003, a Dell Inspiron 8500. It ran hot, the screen looked like the keys pressed into it while closed and I got a 1920x1200 res on a smaller than 17" screen. It was VERY difficult to read even though the extra real estate was nice.

I am considering a Dell XPS Studio 16. Most for the screen size, RAM, FBS speed and HDD speed.
Also considering one of the Sager notebooks. Not sure which one, 8660 or 2096.
During the last week I have also thought about the Mac Book Pro route and running windows in VMWare Fusion.

I know this topic gets discussed a lot but at the rate the technology changes I thought I would ask for thoughts on currently available products.

Thanks!

shakes268

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Sorry, saw other posts asking similar questions. I realize its my first post but with a community like this it will probably be my last.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to reply.