New work/college laptop.. please help!

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
So my girlfriend is in the need for a new work/college laptop. A pretty one. Pretty much no gaming intended. We are aiming from anywhere from 12.8" - 15.4" and maximum 2.5kgs. Pricing is not considered right now. I'd like to ask you guys to sort a few things out:
:arrow: Santa Rosa incldes the 965M chipset and supports the new C2D Socket P processors AND Intels X3100 graphics correct?
:arrow: For battery life, intergrated solutions are better than dedicated ones right?
:arrow: What are the battery life on work notebooks these days? Good range, bad range?
Previously we were looking at 7400gpus but since they are total crap anyway we thought nevermind just go for integrated solutions and reap the battery life. Were we correct?

So in all, we'd like a notebook which is relatively small, lightweight (portable), long battery life and includes the following:
:arrow: Santa Rosa Platform
:arrow: C2D processor T series
:arrow: X3100 integrated graphics solution
:arrow: 7200rpm drive? (possible?)
:arrow: Battery life atleast 3hrs.

Would this be sufficient for video, dvd, streaming.. etc. but no games?

For the most part you have everything right. With the 7400, it didn't have poor battery life only because it wasn't that powerful. Some suggestions that meet your requirements would include:

Latitiude D630

HP DV2500. This one can be upgraded to an 8400GS.

Lenovo R61

The Dell and Lenovo both have 7200rpm drives, but only have the GMA X3100 which you don't seem to mind. I personally have used the Dell Latitude and it is a very nice machine. Good screen and sturdy build.

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
We're currently considering the new Sony CR series. Its a 14.1" laptop and includes the 'Santa Rosa' platform. I know its a sony, but its pretty and isn't going to be abused much anyhow.

We customized it as follows:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0 GHz
2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 Ram
120GB 5400rpm HD (no 7200rpm available)
CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive (no DVD writer, because we find CD-R is easier)
Intel's Graphic Accelerator X3100 (apparently it has eight pipelines)
Intel's PRO/Wireless 4965AGN (802.11 a/b/g/n)
Large Capacity Lithium-ion Battery rated for 6 hours of usage (as opposed to standard 3.5)

Includes all this free software junk too :(

Total cost: $1440

We think the price is pretty good. We've seen many others which are more expensive.

What do you guys think?

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
I JUST REALISED SOMETHING. The new processors have a 800MHz FSB correct? Shouldn't we have DDR2-800 for best 1:1 ratio performance? yikes!

In the end, the choice will be entirely personal. The Dell I linked when similarly configured to the Sony is about 100 less and I think the Latitiude build quality is better than Sony's. Again, it's entirely personal. About the FSB: unless you overclock, which isn't recommended for laptops, the 800mhz doesn't really provide that much of an advantage over the 667, at least that I have seen. Good luck with your choice.

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
Okay so we decided against the Sony CR as its not readily available in asia and is too thick for our liking (1.68"). What we decided on now is.... an ACER TRAVELMATE 6292
Its a 12" and includes the Santa Rosa platform. It's a 'business class' notebook. It has a magnesium alloy lid which is supposedly 20x stronger than plastic and lighter.

Specs:
Intel C2D T7300 2.0GHz 800MHz FSB
Intel 965GM Chipset (Santa Rosa)
Intel GMA X3100
4GB DDR2-667 Ram
160GB 5400rpm HD SATA
Intel Wireless a/b/g/n+
DVD+/- Dual Layer (Can it burn CDs?)
Windows Vista
Lithium-ion 6 cell battery (3 hrs low usage, 2hrs dvd playback)
(Have optional 9-cell for 50% more usage)

Website: http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm6292.htm

TOTAL COST: $1266USD

Weight= 2kgs
What do you guys think?