New Xbox 360 Elite Doesn't Include HDMI Cable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]They are counting on those stupid people who will shell out $20-50+ for a HDMI cable that's Microsoft branded or those "Gold plated" ones.$150 HDMI cable any one?http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspag [...] 8317793970[/citation]
...and what to justify the cost? First bullet point under product features:

"Designed to work with your HDMI components"

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]This is stupid. Most Xbox 360 owners also own a high definition TV which requires an HDMI cable to get a real high definition picture. Anyone who does not own an HDTV and still spends $300-$400 to have the ability to play games that are in high definition is a complete moron.[/citation]

Ok, first off you say most 360 owners have an HDTV, an HDTV that most likely accepts component.

Second, HDMI is not "required" to get a real HD picture. The 360 supports 1080p over component and VGA cables as well, many older TV's require HDMI for 1080p but that is not and MS issue now is it?

Third, so because my neighbor does not have and HDTV he is stupid for buying a 360 to play games with me? I think it would be far more stupid to buy an older console just because your running an SD television. That comment was extremely elitist.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Not a huge deal but it's nice to include it in the package. Most HD owners already have 1 or two HDMI's lying around, but someone's going to end up getting the shaft on this. As some people pointed out a sales person is going to sell them an overpriced cable and I know a few will pick up a 1.1 or 1.2 cable.

Still I'm not going to fault MS. Sony doesn't do it and the Wii owners only wish they COULD buy a HDMI cable for their console. Hell they'd be happy with DVD playback.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Sony hasnt included any HD cables since launch.[/citation]
very true but all the sudden at the same price point as the 360 elite the ps3 slim offers a blueray and wifi!

G

Well, since an HDMI cable doesn't cost $100, this is only a minor setback for the price improvement.

It also underlies just how bad a deal you got when going from Pro to Elite. $100 for a bigger HDD and a $5 cable?

No one was buying Elites before, but they wanted them (just not for the price). So basically the Elite is being phased out and the Elite becomes the new Pro. The main benefit is you can buy the $300 model in black now, and with a 120GB Hdd.

This is good, obviously. Now there isn't an overpriced, undesirable product out there, and the Pro just got a bit better. This isn't much of a price drop, though, since no one was buying the version that got the price dropped. It's just some nice upgrades to the Pro. That would be true whether or not the HDMI cable was bundled or now.

-Dan

Providing component/svideo connections with your equipment is all you can expect of a manufacturer. If they included hdmi, great. If not, go buy your own. I paid about $25 for one at radshack. After spending $1800 on a sony tv and $600 for a ps3 buying a cable was not a problem. Although, I do admit that it was a minor annoyance having to drive back out for a cable when I found out it was not provide.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Let’s face it; we spent 2-3 years bashing PS3 because of the price... Now that PS3 is the clear better buy (referring to hardware) people are still going to try and say 360 is better than PS3?

Since ps3's inception there has been nothing that ps3 owners could gloat about except blueray... With these new price points, the 360 has only one benefit over ps3... game selection. Perhaps the sales of PS3 will climb thus resulting in more developers developing ps3 games, time will tell.

Unfortunately, Sony was two years too late on this price drop…. The race is already over, Wii wins :(

I will conclude my rant with this… Cheap ass Microsoft ripping their customers off a $5 cord, should we have expected anything less?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While this isn't a big deal for the consumer it is a bit strange that the elite edition of the console doesn't provide accessories needed to get the full enjoyment out of the console. So where does the elite actually come into play here its bigger hardrive? The color of the console? I don't believe that justifies it being called elite.

Even worse is the stores seem to create bundles with the pro edition so your likely to get a much better deal with the pro than the elite.

homerhellboy223

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]They are counting on those stupid people who will shell out $20-50+ for a HDMI cable that's Microsoft branded or those "Gold plated" ones.$150 HDMI cable any one?http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspag [...] 8317793970[/citation]

Holy shit man! this is insane! Best Buy is the worst buy.

G

Regardless of how easy it is to get a cheap HDMI cable, this is a pretty crappy move. Both Sony and MS are guilty of this. Even if they don't want to provide an HDMI cable, they should at LEAST provide component cables. Otherwise, you aren't even capable of playing in high def without an additional purchase. Sony screwed us with the composite video cables on the PS3. MS at least included component cables in the Pro. Now, they go and pull this. And seriously, how much are they really saving by doing this ? In bulk, what do those cables cost them ? One dollar maybe ?

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

whoa when i clicked that link i laughed so hard who would pay 150 for a HDMI cable?

G

Lol they sell HDMI cable are Dollar Stores and they work perfectly! :)

georgigenov

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Makes sense to not ship HDMI cable, which may not be the right length anyway. A lot of people with HD TVs would have custom setup where TV could be more than 6' away from the consoles or cables may be hidden in the wall. Just like the printers no longer come with USB cable, because you can't predict what setup a user may have at home.

G

Most of the cables included with products are crap anyway. I don't know how many I have run into that are of the poorest quality. No doubt Monster cables are over priced but their are better cables out their reasonably priced that are much better then what you get with a product.

jangocat

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
This is just unbelievable cheap and dump. Cables are like 90% margin so microsoft could get them incredibly cheap and include them. Instead they force their customers to go to a store and make a second purchase or order online and have to wait for delivery and pay shipping. I hate the way all the console manufactures leave things like second controllers, cables, etc. out these days to try to make their product seem less expensive. Just give me a complete package of everything I need and charge me whatever it costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.