New Xbox 360 is Actually Called the Xbox 360 'S'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]The port over the ethernet?Just read the Anand article, no internal PSU yet, butatleast it's smaller. Still huge for something that will never see 100W though.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that new port will be the Kinect port. Doesn't look like DP.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Yay, they put the HDMI port on directly.And is that? No, it can't be. DisplayPort? That really caught my attention.Microsoft finally made the Xbox what it should have been, kudos on that.Is the powerbrick still external? For my old xbox, it's huge, and damn near as loud as the Xbox itself.[/citation]

It's not a DisplayPort, it's a port for Kinect
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]20never ok non like 2014.[/citation]

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]and let me guess your an Xbox 360 uptight fanboy? because you comment makes you sound like one. and maybe your 360 only red ringed on you once but ask the other 99% of 360 owners and see how many of there 360's they had to send back for warranty work or replace out of there own pocket[/citation]

Mine has never red ringed. I bought @ end of 2006. I own both consoles.

jon bon wonton

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
The name is in line with the Xbox shrinking scheme. The smaller controller which replaced the "Duke" on the original Xbox was called the "Controller S".

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Regardless of how many people had to get their xbox serviced because it malfunction, the number was way higher than it should have been for a console, in comparison to any other console, they failed in their design. Ignoring that fact doesn't make it go away.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
My PS3 died three weeks ago... just died, was an original from the day they were released.

I considered long and hard to get a 360 but went with PS3 again for two reasons.

1) I have 30 some games for ps3 already, plus extra controls ect.
2) I think the 360 is unreliable after reading all the red ring stories over the years. (funny, my ps3 crapped out!)

kaosnkorruption

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jon bon wonton[/nom]The name is in line with the Xbox shrinking scheme. The smaller controller which replaced the "Duke" on the original Xbox was called the "Controller S".[/citation]

I was beginning to think I was the only person to recall that.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Mechrcr[/nom]Never been a console user, mostly due to the extreme high price of the games of said consoles. Due to family & friends pressuring might be swayed to buy one... And this new Xbox looks really nice! Wonder if they just paid attention to the exterior or if that RRoD problem which I heard so much about is fixed and now a thing of the past??[/citation]
The new 360s can't RROD: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-360-360-slim-rrod-overheat,news-7107.html

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
After how hard Microsoft screwed their customers with the first poorly designed and unreliable 360, what makes them think I'm gonna spend my hard earned $$$ on this one?? They need to show us somewhere in the features and specifications, that the cooling system has been redesigned to correct the flaws of the previous model.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]My PS3 died three weeks ago... just died, was an original from the day they were released.I considered long and hard to get a 360 but went with PS3 again for two reasons.1) I have 30 some games for ps3 already, plus extra controls ect.2) I think the 360 is unreliable after reading all the red ring stories over the years. (funny, my ps3 crapped out!)[/citation]

Contact Sony and they should replace it for $150. My g/f accidently broke mine and I thought I was screwed. I cantacted sony and paid $150 including shipping both ways and got a nice shiny new one.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Mine has never red ringed. I bought @ end of 2006. I own both consoles.

Your Lucky, but then again your luck may run out soon. The Red Ring of Death is lurking.........

G

Stop complaining about Xbox360 reliability, Microsoft offered long time ago up to 5 year warranty against RROD, and mostly the issue was caused by bad design of the heat sink bracket. Most of the problem has been resolved since, plus since the release of the Elite, the 360 comes with a 65nm cpu, this itself was a nice improvement to heat problem.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]"S" obviously stands for "Smaller" rather than "Slim"[/citation]
Nope, it stands for "Shiny"
Personally not a fan of the gloss.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]Let me guess you own a PS3. I had my Xbox Red Ring only once and it did not damage the Xbox it worked fine after a restart. Maybe it's because most people dont realize the Xbox better when horizantal.[/citation]

No, but you get one more guess. I will give you a hint: it starts with t and ends with the word for the flap of fat that hangs over his belt while he waddles from Gamestop to Gamestop chuckling to himself at anyone he sees in the Xbox section.

Please, don't feed the trolls.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]What are you all like 14. You do realize this is 5 years outdated hardware right? You can paint a turd shiny black add storage another port or two it's still a turd. The games won't look or play any better. You'll still be stuck with the same ole 720p jaggie garbage get real! High end PC rules! Try gaming at 2560 x 1600 res if you think 720p is hd lol. Trust me it's not![/citation]

What can a $200 PC do for gaming? You do realize not everyone wants to spend $1000 or more every other year on a new gaming rig, right? What are you, like 18? Good for you, you live with your parents and got a job so you could funnel money into your hobby. Give it 10 years. You will realize that $200 for a console every 4 or 5 years is a lot easier to swallow than $1000 for a PC every 2 or 3 years. And just wait til your eyes start going bad, you won't even be able to tell the difference anyway!

Ah, youth. I hardly knew ye.

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'd like to have a reason to take my old xbox (first gen) out of the closet but i cannot find one. I would if it had an HDMI port on it so i could play Fatal Frame II, but that is about the extent at which i would use it. I really wish they could implement an upgrade program and just send me the new one. Alas, it will just have to collect some more dust :) There is no point in buying the same hardware twice simply because it got smaller (unless were talking about smartphones or the DS). Not to mention, the pricetag simply doesn't match up to the product. Its shiny, but its not new; this hardware should be about 140$ maximum now.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
$200 plus $ for extra controllers, a decent HD TV if you don't have one, and bullshit Xbox Live fees if you plan on playing online. About the only thing this new version has going for it is built in Wi-Fi, so I'm assuming no more $80 ripoff adapter. If you don't plan on playing online, 360 is a good deal. Otherwise PS3 is a better deal. Motion controls are going to suck for both. If that's what you care about, then you're better off getting a Wii.

PCs are better though. Clueless people like to claim that you have to spend $1000 every year or 2 years, but that's BS. I'd say 3 years tops, and a couple key upgrades could bring it back up to date instead of getting a whole new rig. But the main benefit of PCs besides that their graphically superior, have better controls, and superior online options is that computers can do more than just play games. Chances are you'll need a PC anyways to surf the internet, do work, check email, and the dozens of other things you can do on a PC.

The only advantage consoles have over PCs are exclusives. They have lots of games that you'll never see on a PC. But if you're a serious gamer, you'll have all of the major consoles plus a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.