New Yahoo! Ad Slams Google for Being Too Bare

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yahoo isn't actually in the search business, so their position makes a lot of sense (even if their attack on google doesn't). They are really competing with the likes of MSN as a sort of unified content provider (the definition is a bit vague, but I think the MSN comparison gets the idea across). News, games, stocks, email, instant messaging, etc. That's the business Yahoo has been in for years. Ultimately, I think the message is not that Yahoo! is better at search than Google, but that the service Yahoo! provides is entirely different in nature. That is to say: luggage is great for holding your things while you travel, but houses are better for when you want to stay home.

posteris

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
google page takes ~0.1s to load, ~0.2-0.3 with search results
show me anything similar at that speed AND quality, i might try and like it, until then google is my homepage

Who is yahoo anyways?

mdc837837

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Yahoo has this all wrong. I want to see what i want to see and thats all. I dont want to see what they want to push out on me. If you want news, go to a news website. Google is a search site and i definitely prefer it to the alternatives with all the additional junk that loads.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
The whole damn reason I use Google is because its bare! It means I don't need to spend time waiting for useless information and adverts to load before I'm able to do my search...

Keep it bare Google! We support you!

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
iGoogle is all I need. It is uncluttered and I can add only what I want to add to my homepage. Email, weather, CNN top stories, calendar, and Oh yeah, NO ADS.

G

Yeaaah... I go to a SEARCH site to be bombarded with commercials and bullsh*t, and not to find what im actually looking for... Are they really this stupid?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The people posting here must aren't thinking too clearly. Yahoo is Yahoo, Google is Google, and they both aren't going to change. Don't expect Yahoo to give up all it has to downgrade itself to a Google, and don't expect Google to add more things unless they find their market share is going down (well, more than the very small amount it has).

So, both aren't going to throw away their advantages. To me, using Google as a homepage is borderline retarded (I use Excite), because there's nothing on it, and if I want to do a search, I have a Google search on the top right of Opera.

Yahoo is just playing to its strength. It's advertising where it is stronger, and trying to make people believe it's format is better. That's why you create ads. Neither is better, some people prefer each. You try to show your format in the best possible light.

I think them saying Google is a place you go to, to leave, is pretty funny. It's true, but that doesn't make it useless.

With the new changes, I've been using Cuil and Bing anyway. I can say, you don't miss Google when you stop using it. It's not something you really feel pain when you leave.

G

Yahoo! criticizes Google for being more successful than them. That's what I got from reading that article. For me built-in bookmarks are the way to Facebook/Twitter and other sites, it's the fastest way to get to a page that you want.

omikron48

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
LOL My homepage is set to about:blank. Fastest page load in history.

Yahoo loads so slow, I don't even bother to let the page load finish before I close the browser tab.

Even then, browsers already have search bars which you can set to any of your standard search engines, there's no need to go to a site to search when you can get the results straight away.

Plus, as someone pointed out already, that's what bookmarks are for. I, for one, don't prefer to have everything I use crammed into one screen, where the whole is effectively slowed down by everything else it tries to stick in.

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
The goole homepage is very minimalistic which I love AND is a portal - a very clean one. Just look to the top of the page and I can access my Picasa online, Videos, Maps, News, Gmail, with just one click from the Google homepage. Everything I need is one click away. I rather have that then have all the my news, pics, videos, maps, gmail and everything attempt to all load at the same time on one page. That's gonna kill the page load time. All the content wouldn't fit on one page, and I don't always want to preview them all at the same time.

randomizer

Distinguished
"you come to this place so you can leave."

Yes that's generally what a search engine is for.

captain-obvious2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.