Next-Gen Kinect Will Read Lips, Says Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]darkerson[/nom]Interesting, but so far Kinect 1 hasnt exactly set the world on fire. Something to keep an eye on, I suppose.[/citation]

Well.. It has helped a lot, like with that 3D Hologram article posted earlier this month/late last month, used for walking robots.. help the blind etc..

Honestly Kinect was a very good idea, it has applications many people don't really see. If they come out with a higher-resolution model as Alikum was hoping then it would be pretty damn good for a lot more things.

Kinect pretty much captures the data needed to recreate everything it can see as a real-time 3D model.

Now a new application if they do release a higher-res version would be a cheap 3D scanner! :D

I see myself getting thumbed down for some odd reason. :eek: not specific enough?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'll be happy if Kinect were to work better for wheelchair users, like myself. I've heard it doesn't do such a good job of that. From what I understand, the current line of games require foot movement, which is obviously impossible in my case.

Give it time, I imagine those that have to do physical therapy will benefit from the Kinect. Think about it. If you have a limited range of motion in areas and you're going through exercises to increase that, using the Kinect for these exercises might be able to store data collected from home as to progression/digression for a doctor's use. Or maybe use a Kinect to record sleeping patterns. I'm sure the possibilities are endless.

G

i dont care if it can read lips, CAN IT SEE FURTHER NOW? or do i stil need to stand 2 meters away from it? if it can sense further(5-10Meter) then it is truly worth it. other then that....its not even a minor improvement for me.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]The next version of Kinect will reportedly be so accurate[/citation]
it will know your thoughts and prevent you from posting the remainder of your comment!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]blacknightof82[/nom]First, make good games for the kinect I already own. Then I will be interested in kinect 2.[/citation]
Please note the article is noting the usage of Kinect 2 for the PC, not for the Xbox

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Kinect 2 will reportedly come bundled with all future Xbox consoles.

Great, so the consumer is forced to buy a accessory with the actual product that will no doubt force the prices notably higher. There is still a giant portion of console gamers that are not interested in motion controls at this time and this is simply giving the consumer a reason not to buy the product.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@Parrish: Please clarify this:
Data will likely be sent via a charge-coupled device to avoid the bottleneck caused by using a USB controller interface and multiple USB-based devices.

AFAIK, a CCD is the device used inside a digital photo or camera to convert an image into a bitstream. I've never heard of it being used for information transmission between devices, and the implication of it being used for that purpose is that you would need line-of-sight between the Kinect 2 and the XBOX 720 / Windows 8 PC. So please explain what you meant by that, or how that communication is expected to work.

@NuclearShadow

I can remember when the mouse first started to appear on PCs. While on the Mac it was a necessary tool, for most PC software it was a semi-useful afterthought, at best. Why use a mouse when shortcut keys, function keys and alt-activated menus could do everything you needed to do anyway? Why even take the time to move your hands away from the keyboard? Today, a significant portion of software is unusable without a mouse or other suitable device.

The Kinect - or more accurately, a computer-user interface that monitors finger, hand and body movements - represents a paradigm shift for human interface devices. Implemented with sufficient hardware, and with the right software, it can replace a keyboard, a mouse, a joystick, a steering wheel, a living room remote control, a "wii-mote" and a touch pad, all at the same time. I like the idea of not having any more AA- and AAA-consuming handheld IR remotes floating around the living room, and performing those tasks with a Kinect-like device instead. I like the idea of being able to interact with my HTPC by typing on a 3D-projected keyboard that isn't actually there, allowing me to surf, search, edit, and communicate without needing a physical keyboard or cumbersome on-screen point-and-click keyboards. I like the idea of not needing a physical mouse, touch pad, touch screen or other pointing device, while still being able to accurately point, click, drag, swish, and swipe (Crapple bogus patents notwithstanding).

There will still be uses for existing HIDs. If you type for a living, a touch pad-based keyboard device such is an iPad is a miserable user interface on which to work. If you are playing a RTS or FPS game, a keyboard and touchpad might be usable, but perhaps are not efficient enough to compete. There will always be a purpose for specialized hardware including the above-mentioned HIDs and numerous others. But the fact that a non-physical device can be used to replace them with fair performance, and also support a host of new user interface is extremely exciting.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Great, so the consumer is forced to buy a accessory with the actual product that will no doubt force the prices notably higher. There is still a giant portion of console gamers that are not interested in motion controls at this time and this is simply giving the consumer a reason not to buy the product.[/citation]

my understanding is the kinect device is good for more than just motion controlled games. I've been told it improves surround sound and is used to control your dashboard, your live account, access pictures and songs on your xbox hard drive, and play movies.

melgross_85

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Reading lips! That's a good joke. Even expert lip readers can only do so under optimal conditions, and even they make mistakes.

This should be fun to see.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The killer-app will be when the SDK lands full speed and someone gets a sign-language reader for it, so deaf people can convert sign-to-text, even good for creating subtitles as sign could be faster than typing

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]no need to read the rest of the article[/citation]

No shit. lol. This alone has convinced me to build a new box to be ready for Windows 8 and Kinect2. Now I need 3 sweet monitors. Minority report anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS