Next Nintendo Console With Blu-ray, Quad CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]Do any you guys know which graphics hardware Nintendo will use for this.?[/citation]
One can speculate based on the graphics hardware of past consoles. For the Wii and Gamecube, Nintendo has had a partnership with ati(now AMD). I would guess that will continue unless their relationship has gone bad.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Performs faster than GTX 490 Quad-SLI with Intel HD 3000 acceleration for movies, Quadro 6000 for texture rendering, and Tesla C2050 4-way SLI for physics processing. Consumes 40 watts max.For processors, quad-core with 10,000 threads, all clocked at 150 watts, which performs faster than 50 8-core Sandy Bridges.64 GB of RAM, 512 GB of SSD memory, LAN gaming support, and sound card that supports audio quality better than $1000 A/V receivers, 10.2 surround sound.Oh, and it prints MONEY![/citation]
I'd buy that for a dollar!

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
You know what I want to see: Better games.

These 3rd party games for wii sucked. Not too many variety of your basic package: Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Those were the only games that were good, even though Mario was too simple and easy. They need to bring back good games and include the hardcore games as well. Hey, they can go 'family' and 'hardcore' oriented gaming.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"Will gamers even have enough wall space to even utilize such a feature?"
I've used a projector to project an image that was only about 15 inches. You don't have to make it HUGE and if it's anything like the pico projectors that are currently available you won't be able to make the picture huge due to a lack of light intensity.

"So 5 years to hit 30 million, and you expect another 50% in 6 months? What fantasy world are you from?"
I know, I was thinking the same thing. I was like WTF, that's a lofty goal! But I'm assuming the writer forgot to mention that those 30 million in sales were for only 2010? (that would make a lot more sense)

"Assuming there isn't a shift towards cloud-based gaming before the successors to the 360 and PS3 come down the line. Seems a very remote possibility, but a possibility nevertheless."
Yep, I agree...

"I wish this company would just go 3rd party, like Sega did. If it wasnt for Nintendo IP titles, they would no longer be relevant in the console market."
YES!!! Thank you for saying that.. Zelda, Metroid, Mario and the rest of the 1st party nintendo games are the only reasons I own a Wii. HD Zelda on PS3 would kick 4ss!

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]"Will gamers even have enough wall space to even utilize such a feature?"I've used a projector to project an image that was only about 15 inches. You don't have to make it HUGE and if it's anything like the pico projectors that are currently available you won't be able to make the picture huge due to a lack of light intensity."So 5 years to hit 30 million, and you expect another 50% in 6 months? What fantasy world are you from?"I know, I was thinking the same thing. I was like WTF, that's a lofty goal! But I'm assuming the writer forgot to mention that those 30 million in sales were for only 2010? (that would make a lot more sense)"Assuming there isn't a shift towards cloud-based gaming before the successors to the 360 and PS3 come down the line. Seems a very remote possibility, but a possibility nevertheless."Yep, I agree..."I wish this company would just go 3rd party, like Sega did. If it wasnt for Nintendo IP titles, they would no longer be relevant in the console market."YES!!! Thank you for saying that.. Zelda, Metroid, Mario and the rest of the 1st party nintendo games are the only reasons I own a Wii. HD Zelda on PS3 would kick 4ss![/citation]
You answered your own question. Stupid graphics have clouded peoples brains. I love the wii, I love my 360. Zelda on my 360? No thanks. Zelda on my pc? No thanks.

G

"I wish this company would just go 3rd party, like Sega did. If it wasnt for Nintendo IP titles, they would no longer be relevant in the console market. Wii controls was just a fad, even though it was a big money making fad."

And why should they do that? Nintendo is selling more than both companies in terms of home consoles and mobile consoles, not to mention that both Sony and Microsoft have tried to copy this "fad" started by Nintendo. The innovative and colorful company is also a nice offset to the more graphics-focused and realistic consoles.

G

[citation][nom]SlickyFats[/nom]"Surely Nintendo will have raked in its required 45 million before June-- more than 30 million units had sold as of December 2010."30 million over 4+ year period, but you expect them to get another 15 million in 6 months?!?[/citation]

It's called a price drop.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Heard these rumours many times before.. I don't think a new Nintendo console will arrive until at least mid 2012.

Also, there's 30+ million more Wii's been sold than the 360's than anything. Not being a fanboy or anything, just wanted to say it's still far from profitable. No need to kick it to the kerb yet.

thebrickhouse

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Rumors... Somehow, I doubt Nintendo wants to go Blu-Ray so it doesn't have to pay Sony, a direct competitor. Remember, Microsoft had an HD-DVD peripheral, and when Sony's Blu-Ray tech won out-right, Microsoft didn't bother. Keep in mind, Microsoft still uses DVD as it's medium, and if they can pull off HD with just that alone, Nintendo might just stick with with dual-layer DVDs as the medium, with an option to store on a hard drive. Quad-Core CPU? Somewhat, the most believable of all the things said in the article for 3D processing, but again... Nintendo was experimenting with dual-core cpus in the Wii's development and went with a single-core "Gamecube 2.0" processor. Not saying they'll go that route, but they'll put just enough power in it to keep the cost low. I'm expecting Nintendo to stick with an ATI / AMD gpu. What I'm really hoping for is what others have said... more ram for development and gaming purposes, and hard drive storage. The "projector" might end up becoming a peripheral, like the Wii sensor bar, to accomplish what Nintendo's overall vision of the product may be. Understand, that Nintendo will only produce something that they can gain a profit from on day one.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I just hope Nintendo actually regulates what games are developed... The Wii was a great idea, but 95% of the games on the shelf are crap.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]That's to be expected, considering that BD-ROM is going to become the default delivery system.[/citation]
Highly doubt it. They'll probably develop their own optical disc that is nearly identical in every way to avoid licensing fees.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well the Wii has been so underpowerfull compared to 360 and Playstation 3 that it is not surprice that there is not too many 3rd party games to it. Now Nitendo can come with relative powerfull console, with reasonable price so I would expect more games to new Wii (until better and more powerfull? consoles arrives from Sony and Microsoft in 3 to 4 years...)
4 cores in console are easier than in PC world because every console has same hardware, so there is not any reason not to use all cores... So it's guite possible. BD is "must" for some years or more, bacause very limited online speeds in most rural areas. Ofcource you could use DVD, but when next Wii really comes out the price difference is not too big any more.
But all in all these are just rumours. This sound somewhat too powerfull for Nitendo console, but maybe hardware is so cheap at this moment?

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Somehow I like to see consoles as a piece of crap so that I can tease my friends about the fact that my PC probably has the power of about 5 Wiis. But at the same time better consoles = better PC ports (hopefully). Better consoles eliminates Crysis 2- like crap (actually I still think Crysis 2 looks amazing). Better consoles means that I won't be spending $500 on graphics and utilize only about $150 of that. PCs will always be better but consoles need to be strong too otherwise PCs can;t benefit from extra performance.

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Depends on what sony does, if the ps3 wasn't so pricy (IF.) then the wii wouldnt have sold as much.

Its all down to what people wan't, and N gave it cheap.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Kinect wasn't a copycat of the Wii by a longshot... it completely surpassed the Wii in every way, yet in an entirely different way. The Move, on the other hand, is a direct copy. So much so, that my friends and I refer to is as the "Playstation Wii"[/citation]

kinect is basically the playstation eye on steroids.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Regarding the rumored quad-core, I wonder if AMD's Fusion/APU technology is factored into the equation. Could it boost graphics quality while keeping overall costs low?

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Performs faster than GTX 490 Quad-SLI with Intel HD 3000 acceleration for movies, Quadro 6000 for texture rendering, and Tesla C2050 4-way SLI for physics processing. Consumes 40 watts max.For processors, quad-core with 10,000 threads, all clocked at 150 watts, which performs faster than 50 8-core Sandy Bridges.64 GB of RAM, 512 GB of SSD memory, LAN gaming support, and sound card that supports audio quality better than $1000 A/V receivers, 10.2 surround sound.Oh, and it prints MONEY![/citation]

Your sarcasm just made my day sir.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
That's what's upsetting about the console market, but it's the reality of it.
'People' (in general) don't want powerful systems, they just want something cheap.

So even when a console is brand new, for processing/graphics power, you're always better off with a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.