Next Nintendo Portable: High-Res, Motion Sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Flailing your arms around like an idiot isn't what made the Wii successfull. It was good marketing. They marketed a low cost, family friendly console and parents bought in.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]rodney_ws[/nom]480p would be PLENTY on a screen that size. Although I get what you're saying... you're poking fun at the current Wii.[/citation]

Yes and no. The new Google Nexus One has a monstrous 800x480 screen, meaning a *phone* has widescreen 480p capability. Releasing a 'next gen handheld' with the same feature set would be a hard sell, parents will probably just buy their kids a Nexus and shut them up as opposed to buying them a cheap phone AND a nintendo whatchamajigger.

Oh and 480p wii suxzzz!!!

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I appreciate the sarcasm as well but 480p would be over 260 dpi for a 3 inch NDS screens, that's about 30% higher pixel density than the highest dpi screens available today. If they cut that by half, it would be close to your modern lcd 21 inch full-hd monitor's feel.

As for motion controllers, there are plenty of iphone games that'll give you an idea of what to expect on the new ds, both control and graphics wise, imo.

G

Yeah!! A new generation hardware full of stupid kiddie games!

vherub

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
psp is 480x272
pspgo is the same but on a smaller 3.8" screen so it appears different
480p is the wrong language to introduce into the discussion.
Unless you were in marketing.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]About time. I wonder if the Tegra 2 will make it in, or if they will stick with the current batch?[/citation]
We don't even know if any Tegra will make it in - it's still rumors at this point. But Nintendo tends to favor low cost and low power chip, so it probably won't be clocked really high, even if it is a Tegra 2. It'd still be pretty fast though.

However, Sony certainly isn't going to sit still. They already have a license for PowerVR's SGX chips. There's a rumor they'll use a SGX543MP (MP8, last I heard) for the PSP 2, which at a good clock speed would stomp even a Tegra 2. To put it in perspective, the iPhone 3G S uses an SGX 535. An SGX543MP8 clocked at 400Mhz would be over 16 times as powerful. The SGX also uses unified shaders meeting shader model 4.1 requirements (DX 10.1 level shaders). But of course it's all just speculation at this point.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Yes and no. The new Google Nexus One has a monstrous 800x480 screen, meaning a *phone* has widescreen 480p capability. Releasing a 'next gen handheld' with the same feature set would be a hard sell, parents will probably just buy their kids a Nexus and shut them up as opposed to buying them a cheap phone AND a nintendo whatchamajigger.Oh and 480p wii suxzzz!!![/citation]
Not to mention, it can play DVD (MPEG), H264,etc formats!

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]LawsonRaider[/nom]Yeah!! A new generation hardware full of stupid kiddie games![/citation]
I don't know if you are just kidding or being a stupid fanboy, but the DS's library is so much stronger than the Wii's, it's not even funny. The stuff/junk put out on the Wii is disgraceful, but the DS is not a system "full of stupid kiddie games" so there is no reason to believe it's successor will be.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Asosa[/nom]please no duel screen. and plz emulate 64[/citation]
You don't want the screens to fight one another???

dual OLED, touch screen would be epic.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"While a jump in graphics is expected with every new generation of gaming technology"

yeah, except in nintendo products...

so this is a welcome supprise.

as for having motion control built in? sounds good, should also have rumble if possible!!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'd rather news that they finally integrate a camera in the PSP and make it 800x480...

I looked at the game selection for the DS, then I checked it out for the PSP.
After comparing them, no way in hell I'm going to buy a DS...
You got Mario and FF, yay.
PSP has racing, shooting, PSX emulation, ratcher & clank, jak & daxter, god of war ect.
Through all I'm concerned, the DS is a kiddie console.

Also remember, these high end smart phones cost $500-800.
These handheld gaming systems cost $150-250.

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
Hey Nintendo WAKE UP !

Look what Apple did with his iPhone.
So do the same and better.
Else you will lose your market !

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I'd rather news that they finally integrate a camera in the PSP and make it 800x480...I looked at the game selection for the DS, then I checked it out for the PSP.After comparing them, no way in hell I'm going to buy a DS...You got Mario and FF, yay.PSP has racing, shooting, PSX emulation, ratcher & clank, jak & daxter, god of war ect.Through all I'm concerned, the DS is a kiddie console.Also remember, these high end smart phones cost $500-800.These handheld gaming systems cost $150-250.[/citation]

If you really think a current generation smartphone is 500 dollars of parts, then I've got an iron tower in Paris to sell you.

A current gen ipod touch has all the guts of the latest smartphones except the gsm units and can be bought for less than $200 including a few things not needed for a game console like the internal flash drive or the qualcomm radio chip. If nintendo bought parts on the same volume as its ds components, something with the same generation of hardware will sell for about as much as the ds did originally upon release and drop subsequently following new revisions.

Also, dismissing it as a kiddie console won't stop them from making a killing by selling millions of units to all the kiddies around the world even if you were right, which you aren't. The DS has a huge amount of quality titles which appeal to adult gamers and has sold so many units among them that it's sometimes considered the closest thing there is to a proof of the elongated childhood period in modern society. If you'd like to argue otherwise, I'll be inclined to think you haven't ever used one, making you quite ill-equipped to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.