Next WP7 Update May Bring Copy/Paste

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schizz69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
OMFG, I cant believe that microsoft made the same mistake that apple did with the exclusion of 'Expected Features' such as copy/paste and multitaksing. I have a nokia 6234 from 3 years ago that can do all that. Why is it deemed that 'smart phones' need to be 'dumbed down' with these major tech companies.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I decided against the new WP7 dew to it's green blocks on the screen and the SDK I tested was not as practically usable as WM6.1/6.5.* even though I would have preferred Android.

Other problem is the lame specs that is part of the WP7 phones I have to buy a 2 year old phone for a normal price that has a 5mp camera and the new ones for $400 has 2mp / 3.2mp same as my 4 year old phone and has less features than the old phones / slower etc.

No I do not pay $2500 over 2 year for a $400 phone as part of a contract, ie: I pay for a unlocked phone with features I want and then get a contract that works in what country I am in at that moment / traveling too.

For me I don't care what runs on it as long as the overlords spy as little as possible on me and it has a decent responsive user friendly interface, it can run a can of worms in pajamas for all I care.

Everyone complains about copy / paste of WP7 but what about the major irritation of Android and getting to the files "explorer type nav" on the memory card or IOS and it's irritations / lack of openess / locked phones ect.

Here all ducks are just that ducks each for it's own price.

I still want a phone I can get the junk on it + then once ready put Android on it until bored and firmware upgrade back to wm6 or what ever. I do it with my pc's so why not with my cell phone.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
PS> what is up with wm6 = practical usable , same with practical / usable Android 2.1 and now this irritating (WP7 and Android 2.3) look and feel ?

Did both MS and Google agree to irritate their users ?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]January????Don't hold your breath. I had a WM phone for 2 years. Updates were promised and promised, but never released. I gave up and switched to a different phone.[/citation]WM 6.5 (and earlier) are much, MUCH harder for MS and phone carriers to deploy updates for. WM7 is completely different. You might as well be comparing Windows 3.1 to Windows XP.

So while I don't know about the rumored January update, I am quite positive they will be rolling out stuff for WM7 aggressively. They're halfway serious this time around.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]I liked 6.5, I really did, but the tech pages slammed it and MS had NO CHOICE but to create a new mobile OS. Blame the reviewers and customers for that one. Yes, we had a mobile OS that did everything, every damn thing, but, it wasn't shiny enough for the mass population.[/citation]
I would agree, except that the interface for 6.5 is a little too geekified for joe average. Also, OS updates are a PITA and rare. I do like being able to run anything you want (not just marketplace apps) but that makes pirating much easier. Someone on the net cracks a game and releases a .cab file, bam mass piracy. Don't even need to jailbreak the phone, it was never in jail. :p

Also, part of why WM 6.5 got such a bad rap is the memories of its problematic predecessors.

Status
Not open for further replies.