Next Xbox ''Durango'' Already in Early Production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Money better spent on a GTX 690 upgrade for my 2560 x 1600 display.[/citation]

Money better spent one hell of a overkill for GPUs (To the extent of at least 3 monitors) and is 2-3 times the cost of an Xbox console that can be played on a TV screen..?

Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming, and Xbox..not so much. But there's everything wrong about what you just said.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
This is why consoles are more popular: Buy a $400 XBox, plays all the games perfect for seven years or so. Buy $1200 PC, upgrades every 3 years, and there is no guarantee the game will run after you install it. As superior as PC gaming is, you have to have a bigger wallet and more tech knowledge. I work on PCs 45 hours a week and even my co-worker couldn't get L4D2 or Gotham City Imposters to run right on his PC, even after hours of research. The two games run fine on my PC which has a slower video card.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]This is why consoles are more popular: Buy a $400 XBox, plays all the games perfect for seven years or so. Buy $1200 PC, upgrades every 3 years, and there is no guarantee the game will run after you install it. As superior as PC gaming is, you have to have a bigger wallet and more tech knowledge. I work on PCs 45 hours a week and even my co-worker couldn't get L4D2 or Gotham City Imposters to run right on his PC, even after hours of research. The two games run fine on my PC which has a slower video card.[/citation]
As much as I'd hate to. I have to agree with you.
Regardless though, I still prefer PC over Xbox, but that's just me.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I am PC gamer at heart, but I'll always have consoles for local multiplayer. It seems that the consoles bashers must not entertain visitors.

I'm not sure why developers choose to drop the local multiplayer components for the PC versions of their games. A PC is easily hooked up to the living room TV.
For that matter multi displays could be used for local multiplayer, but we dont see it.

Consoles will always have a spot in my home for couch gaming with friends.

Most developers are no longer willing to make PC exclusives with significantly better graphics than capable on consoles. I'm sorry, but playing the same games at higher resolutions and AA is not really all that significant to me.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]This is why consoles are more popular: Buy a $400 XBox, plays all the games perfect for seven years or so. Buy $1200 PC, upgrades every 3 years, and there is no guarantee the game will run after you install it. [/citation]

Way I see it, most people will already have a modern PC in their house, and after that it's just a 150 dollar video card upgrade from being able to run every game better than consoles can probably for another two years at least. Not that much more expensive, and PC games are usually cheaper too. Not saying there's no appeal in consoles, but the costs of PC gaming are usually overstated imo, a Core 2 Quad can still comfortably play todays games and that's 3 years old, and some people are still ok with Geforce 8800s which launched a bit after the 360.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Way I see it, most people will already have a modern PC in their house, and after that it's just a 150 dollar video card upgrade from being able to run every game better than consoles can probably for another two years at least. Not that much more expensive, and PC games are usually cheaper too. Not saying there's no appeal in consoles, but the costs of PC gaming are usually overstated imo, a Core 2 Quad can still comfortably play todays games and that's 3 years old, and some people are still ok with Geforce 8800s which launched a bit after the 360.[/citation]
Agreed. But what most people (and by that I mean PC bashers) don't seem to consider is that Xbox consoles are PRIMARILY for gaming and gaming alone. PCs can also be primarily used for gaming but also plenty of other useful functions; Which is why PC gaming is usually more expensive than console gaming. In a way, consoles are essentially a lesser version of a PC.

One is designed for gaming alone, the other CAN be used primarily for gaming. That should clear up the issues about the price to be a PC gamer compared to a console gamer.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]Agreed. But what most people (and by that I mean PC bashers) don't seem to consider is that Xbox consoles are PRIMARILY for gaming and gaming alone. PCs can also be primarily used for gaming but also plenty of other useful functions; Which is why PC gaming is usually more expensive than console gaming. In a way, consoles are essentially a lesser version of a PC.One is designed for gaming alone, the other CAN be used primarily for gaming. That should clear up the issues about the price to be a PC gamer compared to a console gamer.[/citation]

Everything other than gaming that the consoles try to do feels like a horribly crippled version of what you can do on a PC. Web browsing, social media, it all feels like a watered down version of what I'm used to on a PC.
Regardless, these are the camps we've divided ourselves into, and as such we'll have to deal with irrational people on both sides of the argument.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]This is why consoles are more popular: Buy a $400 XBox, plays all the games perfect for seven years or so. Buy $1200 PC, upgrades every 3 years, and there is no guarantee the game will run after you install it. As superior as PC gaming is, you have to have a bigger wallet and more tech knowledge. I work on PCs 45 hours a week and even my co-worker couldn't get L4D2 or Gotham City Imposters to run right on his PC, even after hours of research. The two games run fine on my PC which has a slower video card.[/citation]
Not really true when the new one releases. Look at the $650 March 2012 SBM - it runs most things on high at 60fps on 1080p. Imagine it's Q4 2014. Broadwell will be released (the shrink of the 2013 architecture, if IB is supposed to be 10-15%+ on SB, I don't think a 50% performance increase is out of the question),a new gen of graphics cards will be released (Maxwell/AMD's offering, GTX 8XX's/HD 9XXX's?), insanely cheap DDR3/new DDR4, HDD's will be half the price/back to pre-flood (the 500GB in the SBM was $85, it was $40 Sept 2011). The GPU prices should now be down a bit compared to release (7XXX price drops recently, possibly more by Q4, could be similar in the future).

Now, the 360 was $400 release. We'll probably see the same price for the new console, possibly up to $500 (bundles of some sort). If the rumoured specs are true (~6670 GPU), you'll be able to build a significantly more powerful PC that plays games at 1080p, 60fps on high for the same price. With the Steam sale (50-75% off!) giving you massively better value games. With the additions of a new controller (average number of controllers per console?), p2p online, more expensive games in general.... I can't see why you'd get it over a new PC if you knew how to do it, other than split-screen fun and possibly more more friends using it but at the end of the day, it's a PC. You can do so much more with it.

I'm not saying 'console sucks pc master race' or anything (I was a consoler until '06), it's just that they usually had a good value advantage so it's the obvious choice. Next gen? With all the tech increases, I can't see it, or am I just derping?

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Money better spent on a GTX 690 upgrade for my 2560 x 1600 display.[/citation]

I could buy a 360, a 60" TV, and a shitload of games for what that would cost. Yeah, that's a tough decision to make right there.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
You know what would bring PC gaming into the forefront of the gaming world, local multiplayer and no I dont mean f*cking LAN. I mean where you can hook up a couple controllers to it and play on one PC. With all the USB ports, multi core processors, and video cards (especially multi-card setups there is no excuse. You can do it with a few of Valve games (the ones that were released to console). Upgrade cost and resolution aside, PC gaming is handicapped. Its not an opinion or being a console fanboy......its being a PC fanboy and waiting for years for my PC to do what my god damn nintendo could since the 80's

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
You know what would bring PC gaming into the forefront of the gaming world, local multiplayer and no I dont mean f*cking LAN. I mean where you can hook up a couple controllers to it and play on one PC. With all the USB ports, multi core processors, and video cards (especially multi-card setups there is no excuse. You can do it with a few of Valve games (the ones that were released to console). Upgrade cost and resolution aside, PC gaming is handicapped. Its not an opinion or being a console fanboy......its being a PC fanboy and waiting for years for my PC to do what my god damn nintendo could since the 80's

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Say you are on the market for a PC and a gaming console, looking to spend $500 on a basic pc and $200 on a typical console. Instead get your PC, get a decent PSU, ($50) and a entry/mainstream GPU ($150). You've now condensed both your PC and console, all while getting a more convenient way to purchase games (cheaper as well) all with better quality. ($150 gpu's typically handle most games on high at 1080p which is rarely used resolution in consoles today). I have a PS3, but I will never understand the need to have one over a PC aside from the occasional exclusive title. (which PC's have as well) The "need" to upgrade every year or so is a ridiculous claim as games can get more demanding, but not unplayable. Your graphics quality does not diminish over the years so there as no need to upgrade until you, yourself, are ready.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Elitists pricks like you helped to ruin many aspects of pc gaming over the past decade so brag somewhere else.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I would like there to be a few things about consoles though such as being able to be upgraded for extra ram like consoles of the past so that developers can make extra use of the consoles features. Beyond that consoles do well for a reason for most gamers but pc is what I game on. Also why not a consoles that can also act as a DVR, if it had DVR like features they would sell like hot cakes.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Elitists pricks like you helped to ruin many aspects of pc gaming over the past decade so brag somewhere else.[/citation]
Elitist pricks like that also subsidize the development of new technology by paying massive premiums on hardware.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I don't know about you, but I'd like to see you assemble a gaming PC with a budget equal to the cost of a console. The mainstream market doesn't have $1000 to blow on graphics cards. Nor do we, readers of this article, care that you have $1000 to blow on graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.