Nextbook Ares 8 No Home Screen

John_358

Commendable
May 16, 2016
I have a Nextbook Ares 8 which was working fine until I shut it off last night. Since restarting it, today, it hasn't functioned properly. The bottom buttons(home button, back, tab) are still visible and responding to touch. The top tab will scroll down and function. The power button allows me to bring up the power off/airplane mode screen, but the home page and my apps aren't visible and, thus, inaccessible. I can power it on and off and to no avail the home screen is still black. I'm thinking about a factory reset, but only want to do it as a last resort. Thanks.

Edit: Here's a link to a video I posted. If it helps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=bLmg2FqBvnk

Solution
Did you install or update any apps on the tablet just before this occurred? I ask because it is possible that is causing the problem.

Also, have you tried restarting the tablet. If not try pressing the "Power" button for 20 seconds and restart it.

Another question, how long have you had the tabled? As if it is new, and under warranty, you may wish to take it back to have it exchanged. To mess with it physically would void a warranty and that is not a good idea.

The last option, if out of warranty - can't return it - and the other options above do not fix it, would be to do a "Hard Reset". I would not do that though unless you have no other options. I say that because it will wipe all your data. Now if you can plug it into a computer...
Did you install or update any apps on the tablet just before this occurred? I ask because it is possible that is causing the problem.

Also, have you tried restarting the tablet. If not try pressing the "Power" button for 20 seconds and restart it.

Another question, how long have you had the tabled? As if it is new, and under warranty, you may wish to take it back to have it exchanged. To mess with it physically would void a warranty and that is not a good idea.

The last option, if out of warranty - can't return it - and the other options above do not fix it, would be to do a "Hard Reset". I would not do that though unless you have no other options. I say that because it will wipe all your data. Now if you can plug it into a computer and access the files on it from there (screen shouldn't effect it), then you could back them up before the "Hard Reset".

NOTE: Doing this will clear the data on your phone, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the phone.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the tablet...

1. Make sure that the tablet is actually powered off.

2. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

3. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

4. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

5. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

6. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

7. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the tablet.

Solution