Nexus Prime Reveal Delayed Out of Respect for Steve Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
WHAT THE HELL?!

Are you kidding me?! Since when does an individual's death delay product launches/reveals?!

I think I'll skip work tomorrow out of respect for Jobs. All these servers can freakin' crash and burn... who cares, Jobs died.

*uncontrollable explosion of rage*

rishwin

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
[citation][nom]zankuto[/nom]Samsung continually proving it is the better company, in business and sportsmanship.[/citation]
This.

Even after all of the court battles they still want to prove that they're the better man. which really, they are. Especially after Apple declined Samsung's COMPLETELY reasonable offer or re-designing their new releases to exclude the specific features Apple is disputing.

louish1982

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
haha i think it isn t much about respect but more about having the public s and media s full attention....But i guess it would sound bad if they were saying that haha

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]WHAT THE HELL?!Are you kidding me?! Since when does an individual's death delay product launches/reveals?!I think I'll skip work tomorrow out of respect for Jobs. All these servers can freakin' crash and burn... who cares, Jobs died.*uncontrollable explosion of rage*[/citation]

I'm assuming this is more Google's decision than Samsung's, considering Eric Schmidt was quite good friends with Jobs (and sat on the Apple board). My best guess is that this is because those who are invited have likely already been told when and where the funeral/services for Jobs will be. It's possible it will fall on the same day, or within a day or so, of this event. I think it's rather classy to wait until after he's been buried/whatever his last wishes were before continuing with business as usual.

[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Talk about irony. Apple's own product iPhone 4s is up for pre-order as planned. No changes there due to Job's passing away.[/citation]

I think it's different. iPhone 4S was the last on Jobs worked on. I think it's rather fitting that he died right after it was announced. Launching it as planned seems like something he would have wanted and a nice way to honour him. On the other hand, it's easy to see why Google might not feel comfortable coming out and launching a brand new device the week after he dies (possibly within a day or two of his funeral).

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I doubt this is actually out of respect for Jobs. Its much more likely that this is because they don't want the release of their product to be overshadowed by Jobs' death and also because they don't want people to think they're inconsiderate about his death. It makes much more business sense for them to delay it. They also appear they're doing it out of respect when its really just smart marketing.

G

whats the big deal if they want to delay THEIR product launch? is not as if they had cancelled the whole damn thing, plus for what its worth, considering how big steve jobs impact was on the pc/mobile phone/digital music and etc, it seems somewhat *required* that samsung and google show a sign of respect......

and they did it by delaying their product launch.....so big woof.... they're still gonna launch it......

j3ff86

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
They were going to delay it anyway most likely. This is just an excuse and a chance to save face. Win/win scenario.

toxin440

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I'm with phantom -- why don't I just skip work today out of respect for steve jobs? I won't pay these bills here out of respect for steve jobs.

The guy was human and he died -- does that mean everyone else has to put their lives, their business, and their enjoyment on hold because of a man who gave them a shiny phone that was underpowered?

I will agree that he did good things (for a while) for the phone/tablet industry, but FFS he wasn't god, messiah, or anything special. He was just a man, the same as you or I.

When I die -- spend 5 minutes, have a drink and a toast for me, burn me up and throw the remains in the ocean. I'll be dead, why would I care what you do with me?

I'm one of the biggest nerds alive but seriously if Jobs is this big in your life because he gave you a phone, you have issues. Given the history of Jobs decisions do you think he would ever "delay the iphone 4s out of respect of someone super important like the president" ? No he wouldn't If you wave a magic wand and steve jobs was alive and in perfect health you know he would be tap dancing on the grave of the google person most responsible for droid/nexus.

Can't wait till this news of him fades away -- much like the phones and company he temporarily resurrected.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
It sounds a little condescending. "Since we respect Steve Jobs so much, we won't announce our product, which we believe will crush the iPhone and thus destroy Jobs' legacy".

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]On the other hand, it's easy to see why Google might not feel comfortable coming out and launching a brand new device the week after he dies (possibly within a day or two of his funeral).[/citation]

I don't see why should anyone be "considerate" towards a company who's been trolling everyone with ridiculous lawsuits. Jobs was just one man and his death didn't change anything. This is called hypocrisy.

P.S. Okay, I'm starting to get sick of Jobs' obituaries and "memories". They're plaguing the web. Newegg, for hell's sake! >_

G

It probably has to do largely with PR. Creating negative perception of your company is expensive to repair, on the other hand - delaying it and building positive perception of your company AND hyping your product that much more... All for free? Definitely worth it.

G

Good intentions? Ha! They delayed the thing because all the media attention is on the passing of Jobs and they'd be drowned in it. Instead, they want that time to pass, allowing them to get more headlines. Make no mistake about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.